• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

lapping a chipset

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crazy Mo Fo 919

Registered
ive recently found out about lapping cpu's and i started wondering if lapping a chipset can help with temps. has anyone tried? does it help with temps? if it hasnt been done do u think it can be?

im almost done sanding the chipset, im using 2000 grit to finish it. what are the chances that i caused static electric discharge (SED)? i wish i would of asked before i started, oh well. also anyone have any ideas of how to get the thermal compound off the heatsink im having probs getting it off.

Is there really enough justification behind lapping your chipset? I don't see how a few degrees on the chipset would really make much of any difference and not really worth the effort or the risk. Just my $.02.

Kyle

it depends. there are some chipsets that are so concave that the center can be a couple mm from the heatsink.

if you can do it and have the time, you might as well, as long as you dont sand it too far down.

and just use something(im sure you have an imagination) to scrape the gunk off the hs, then sand that too. as for esd, i dont think it'd be an issue, but it's too late to be worrying about it now if you've already started anyway. it'll either boot or it wont.

Back