• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lapping + Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra + h110i GT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

So next project for me will be switching out my monster Noctua NH-D15 for a AIO, have a Corsair h110i GT on the way, and i want to lap my FX-8370 then apply Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra. I have done a lot of PC DIY but lapping is a 1st (i do have all the mats a think) and have never had a AIO, but assembly seems fairly easy. I am hoping to lose around ~10c at load with this change, seems to be around the ballpark from what i have read. Wanted to delid instead but do not have the tools as the FX apparently are soldered.

Anyone with experience with these materials could give tips for this to go a bit faster/safer ? Youtube videos and forums only go so far :)

I just use an arkansas whetstone on the cpu lid, most water blocks are convex to shape to the flat cpu lid under pressure but I don't know about all in ones.

delid is possible even for a soldered chip. atleast there are you tube videos about it. Ive killed 2x phenom II's with deliding. The first one I ended up lopping off the internals of the cpu, and the second one died due to overheating with the solder removal (I beleive). Im fully confident that I can do it if I were to ever try again, but the risk is too much for my budget. I dont want to be buying any more cpus when I could be getting other things. I just wnated you to be aware that the solder doesnt make it a no go, but most will still opt out.

There is also quite a few folks (from my reading) that say solder cannot be beat in the w/mk department. My research says otherwise, but there is some confusion in the sources Ive read from.

As far as just lapping goes, I didnt have any trouble with high grit sandpaper. A drop of mineral oil on the top of the cpu + moving in a figure 8 (and switching direction every X turns) and i was down to the copper in no time. I think I started with 1000 then moved to 1500 and finished with 2000 for the sandpaper.

Lapping will provide a minimal gain. Maybe 1-3c. It is easy to damage the pins on a cpu.

I would imagine for lapping, one would first be inclined to construct some sort of brace/bracket to hold the chip steady, perhaps in a vise, without damaging the pins.
Say, take a ZIF socket removed from a dead board or ordered from a PC parts site/ebay, mount to a square piece of wood or other material. Mount in vise, so as to keep it in once place, and then proceed to lap the thing.

Sorry but the "bling effect" means absolutely jack to me (don't even have leds/cathodes/window in the fans/case), simply the lapped surface reacts much better to the CLU as far as I read.

Cover the pins in a sponge or a scotch brite pad or something. Lets you get better leverage and protects the pins.

Cover the pins in a sponge or a scotch brite pad or something. Lets you get better leverage and protects the pins.

Meh, I like my over-engineered idea more. :p
gives me more stuff to make. making stuff is fun.
Wonder if I can file a patent on it, "device for securing pins on chip to protect against damage during lapping."

Knowing the world, some kid in china already has it.

- - - Updated - - -

I think its actually ego-factor, not bling-factor.

I use the same tim, liquidemetal, you'll get 1-3c lapping it.
the value of it is all your call, it costs little so take a straight edge to the cooling plate of the all in one cooler also, you might find it deformed.

and on the bling, I dig me some bling, I suffer some color blindness, I don't see red, yellow or green.
My rigs suffer for this, lots of electric blue and neon, if not for these the world look pretty bleak to me, so give us a little bling.

Last edited:
Neon blue looks awesome in a black case true enough, but mine is behind the monitor so wouldn't be able to enjoy it anyway. Besides i really like my ultra silent Dynamic GP-14 fans and they don't make them with leds :( it's definitly worth it IMO, would like to be able to run my 4.8ghz 24/7 without having to worry about Crysis 3 or GTA V putting my baby in the 60s.

Besides, when i trade it for a Zen or an Intel its going off to a family member so it will help him as well with the temps :)

Kenrou, ShrimpBrime has delidded many of these Fx processors. Maybe send him a Pm if you have any interest in doing so.

Kenrou, ShrimpBrime has delidded many of these Fx processors. Maybe send him a Pm if you have any interest in doing so.
+1 He's the guy you want to de-lid.

I did sand down an IHS on an old A64+ I had....
I gave up a few hours later with 220 grit. I'd use a beltsander next time or better, a vertical belt sander might be easier like that.

If you want to lap something still like your cooler, lap on a glass table. It's almost perfectly flat and level which is what you want. :thup:

This will work. Lapping will give you about 2c improvement and using L. Ultra will shave another 3-4c. I certainly would not delid a CPU which already has a soldered lid. There's everything to lose and nothing to gain. But be very, very careful when applying the L. Ultra not to flick any of it onto mobo components. Application is easier to do if you shorten the bristles just a little on the applicator to make it stiffer. It gives you more control. And if you ever go to remove the cooler and the L. Ultra after application, first cover the area around the socket with something so metal flakes don't fall onto the mobo.

I certainly would not delid a CPU which already has a soldered lid. There's everything to lose and nothing to gain.

+1. As i said i don't have the gear to delid and don't think i would try it on soldered CPUs either way even though it gets the best results by a mile. There's a thread in this forum that "warns" about going over 600 grit (yes i noticed its old), that confused me as i see a lot of peeps going all the way to 2500 ?

http://www.overclockers.com/cpu-lapping-tests/

Another thing, can i extend the h110i GT ? if possible i would like to use the 3x140 at the top. I'm already mourning the lack of silence that comes with the AIO :cry:

Last edited:
There's a thread in this forum that "warns" about going over 600 grit (yes i noticed its old), that confused me as i see a lot of peeps going all the way to 2500
It really isn't a warning as much as it was just saying the op didn't feel it necessary to go over 600 grit and polish it like a mirror. If you feel you want to get it as polished as possible, maybe test it at 600 and then test again with it more polished to see if there were any benefits.

Well duh, but a socket specially adapted for use when lapping..........there are tons of patented designs that all have small parts of patented designs in them.
LOL @ the zif socket patent http://www.google.com/patents/US20030132018

I wonder how much money per year, HON HAI PRECISION IND. CO, gets paid by all the companies that use ZIF sockets......as they are the patent holder.

+1. As i said i don't have the gear to delid and don't think i would try it on soldered CPUs either way even though it gets the best results by a mile. There's a thread in this forum that "warns" about going over 600 grit (yes i noticed its old), that confused me as i see a lot of peeps going all the way to 2500 ?

I dont want to talk you into an un-needed procedure or anything but there is no gear needed. The last one I did with an old credit card to reduce the possibility of wrecking the internals of the cpu (thanks to OCN for that tip). As I said, I borked my last delid with the heat (used a minitorch like I saw in a youtube vid) but Ive got a butane soldering iron that I will use for the next time. Seriously, its WAAAY possible. I can understand not wanting to wrreck your chip, but Im nearly certain you can do it with what youve got at home right now. I read one account of a guy who spread TIM on the IHS and set it face down in a skillet on medium heat -- just kept lifting it off every couple seconds until the ihs stayed in the pan. Its a risk, but you can do it if youre careful.

As for the grit of the sandpaper, I believe that the recommendation for such low grit is because otherwise it takes "forever". However you decided to go, make sure to check the plate on your HS as well. It doesnt really do any good to lap the processor if the plate on the sink isnt perfectly true as well.

I can attest to the fact that there is lots of reading out there on this subject, but Ive given you the high points in this thread :)

Back