• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lapping + Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra + h110i GT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
how much of a performance gain, thermals wise, would a 6100 get if it were de-lidded, and so didn't have that extra layer in the CPU/TIM/Hyper 212 sandwich?

I would imagine a few degrees. I dont recall what the plate on a hyper212 is but you could lap that as well and have a copper/tim/copper sandwich. I forget what the IHS is coated with, but IIRC it is a bit slower than copper to conduct heat. Zink maybe to counteract corrosion? You go google it. Im lazy :)

Hyper 212+ is direct heatpipe contact... not a good idea to lap that. If you puncture a hole in the heatpipes, that is a less than useful cooler.

Lapping really doesn't do much until you get past 4.6GHz mark. Thats where the difference starts to show but the liquid ultra and copper copper contact is sweet. Just take your time with the stuff and you will have good results.

I have had my system running at 4.7 for long durations, but didn't like the heat generation, so lowered to where I have it now, happy medium of speed/heat.
Need to get some higher airflow fans, probably some noctua. will shop around though. yay holidays coming up.
The stock fans that came with the HAF-XB are ok, I hardly notice them on high lol....

Ok what about i getting a ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Hero + i7-4790K and then delid ? that would be CLU inside + CLU or TIM on top (i use NT-H1) ?

EDIT : would lapping make a difference or just the delid ?

Last edited:
Typically just replacing the tim shows plenty of good results on intel. Deliding is for the brave... get a board that has a die gaurd like some msi do.

Lapping would make more of a difference if the ihs was concave/convex.

The Maximus has the guard doesn't it ? Or am I seeing the pics wrong somehow ?

Again, CLU inside + CLU or TIM on top (i use NT-H1) ?

Last edited:
Right will search a bit more, delliding would be the vice method with Coolaboratory Liquid Ultra (CLU), already have it setup for whenever I upgrade. My Crosshair is finally giving signals of old age+abuse, hopefully it will last till I get the new one.

I know it was mentioned earlier but Im not sure if you saw it or if you have run across this method to check your IHS and the plate on your cooler. Take a razor (or piece of paper, or anything else that is known to have a true edge)and hold it level with your IHS (or cooler plate) and if it doesnt match up exactly then youve got a bulge or a valley.

Im not certain what the reputation for flatness on Phenoms is but I found a decent valley in the middle of the ihs. From reading what these guys have posted, I would guess that an FX by reputation doesnt have that problem. I also dont have any idea for the big boy intel you mentioned. But it varies from chip to chip anyway, so you will have to check :)

The thread ED linked has a nice table at the beggining about different TIMs, but I would like to point out that later in the thread some folks seem to disagree with the w/mk of CLU/CLP . There was talk of it being lesser than solder (around 50 w/mk whereas the solder is beleived to be around 80 w.mk) but all the research I did put CLU/CLP solidly @ 80-ish w/mk. Apparently home testing to determind heat conductivity is cost prohibitive. The method would only work in a lab, so youre stuck with trial and error -- trying each TIM and seeing which one gives the lowest temps

There is a reason people do not delid soldered chips... CLU/CLP perform way better than the TIM they use, but solder is better. I would stick with CLU/CLP. The difference between the rest is going to be 1-2C and there just isn't a point to test.......unless that is the point is to test different TIMs, LOL!

There is a reason people do not delid soldered chips...

that is kind of what I was alluding to. The fact is that all the official CLU pages say 80+ w/mk. I cant seem to find anything except a partial page from intel that says they may have moved to an indium solder , which would put it right there with CLU (The page is in that thread you linked actually, search for my name and be kind for my misspellings and other bafoonery, you'll find it) , but it doesnt say for sure. It really depends on the solder used. If the solder isnt gallium or induim then CLU/CLP is definately far better. There werent any clear answers to be had then. Maybe Ill look again. I ended up opting for lap + CLP with a possible delid in the future.

I'll say it again, the real danger with a delid is the heat needed to remove the soldered IHS. That and getting the CLU on anything besides the IHS. its conductive and will kill your chip. Clear nailpolish is recommended amongst other things. I think you can read on your own though, so Good Luck :)

Running the risk of something something : http://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=94365

"The TIM makes very little difference, the main thing is that you get rid of the excess adhesive so you get better pressure/mating on the die. People have done the tests, expensive TIM, cheap TIM or reusing the Intel TIM, makes very little difference. You can simulate the stock situation with some paper or such in place of the adhesive on your own if you want. Same thing if you don't remove the excess adhesive, not much of an improvement then."

TIM will make a little difference but as other pointed out "2c-3c is not worth it"... imho i think it is, if you join the 2-3 little 2c-3c gains makes a ~5c difference for a couple hours work and a cooler CPU for the next 1y-3y ? matter of opinion ofc.

But this vapid discussion now, i will not delid a soldered CPU but Intel is another matter, much easier to just "bump" it loose :)

Yes, there are multiple factors in this (vapid) discussion about delidding. Part of it is the TIM used, part of it is the distance between the die and the IHS. Sorry Kenrou, thought that was a given in this discussion. ;)

Given that it is a matter of opinion yes, given that you will gain depends on the hardware or your patience to do stuff maybe. Rapidly finding out that EVERYTHING is a matter of opinion.

So now only choice is MB to go with the i7. Went with the Hero because it's the equivalent of the Crosshair for AMD, for benchers and tweakers right ? Will give more options to tinker and find better overclocks ?

Do only the MSI have the CPU guard ? just checked these on Amazon and the price is... well... just no.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...7 XPOWER AC&qid=1444920389&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Last edited:
Given that it is a matter of opinion yes, given that you will gain depends on the hardware or your patience to do stuff maybe. Rapidly finding out that EVERYTHING is a matter of opinion.

So now only choice is MB to go with the i7. Went with the Hero because it's the equivalent of the Crosshair for AMD, for benchers and tweakers right ? Will give more options to tinker and find better overclocks ?

Do only the MSI have the CPU guard ? just checked these on Amazon and the price is... well... just no.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...7 XPOWER AC&qid=1444920389&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

This would be more in line with the CHV-z http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132264&cm_re=z97-_-13-132-264-_-Product

Unless you are going subambient, darn near any Z170 based board will take your CPU to its thermal limits. Boards like the Gigabyte Z97 UD3H, MSI Z97 Gaming 5, ASRock Z97 Extreme 6, ASUS Z97 Pro, will all suit your needs for ambient cooled (and 'outside' winter benching) without breaking the bank. If you are a bit more serious, I would keep the hero. If you are really serious, I would look into boards like the

Intel overclocking is easy... multiplier, vcore, done.

If you are a bit more serious, I would keep the hero. If you are really serious, I would look into boards like the

Intel overclocking is easy... multiplier, vcore, done.

like the... ?

Back