• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

laptop LCD in an ITX system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Captain Slug said:

The Mini-ITX whitepaper itself lists ITX (not mini) on page 7 as being 215mm x 191mm.

The FV25 It's the first production model Mini-ITX Socket 370 board. It's their most popular seller in their barebones line. he Jetway board is a direct competitor to this one which regularly sells in JUST the barebones machine. But outside the US in a number of places the board can be purchase seperately.

Their other models are Flex ATX. I had Flex-ATX confused with Mini-ATX (as most retailer do as well). The only difference between Flex ATX and ITX seems to be a matter of power consumption expectations and a mere 15mm difference in depth. They even have the same mounting holes.
Here's a whitepaper on Flex ATX that I'd never seen before.

So I was wrong about a couple of them. But there's no huge difference between the two. (Then I guess were were both right :D)

The Sudhian Media forum has report that the ECS U-Buddie line is ITX form factor.
There are a large number of products being released in the ITX, Flex-ATX, and mini-ITX form factors at current, but they're slow to migrate into the states and of number of products don't even fit those standards.

I must happily agree with you on one thing that indeed that the Mini-ITX whitepaper itself lists ITX (not mini) on page 7 as being 215mm x 191mm and this to be honest was quite a shock for me.

I still however dispute that the FV25 however is based around a Mini ITX motherboard of any kind as the case dimensions have not changed greatly and the manual for FV25 V2.2 (latest model) which can be downloaded here refers to the motherboard on page 5 as being a "Flex ATX" which generally indicates that it is based on the small form factor.

The ECS U-Buddie line specification indicates that it could perhaps be ITX form factor but the only dimension listed in the specifications are for the complete 'case' which is large enough to fit a Flex ATX mobo, and I fail to see why when producing a compact system the maker would 'decide' to use a case larger than is required, which defeats the object... Therefore I would suggest the following.
You do not select to use a Via C3 processor because it is either powerfull or cheap as Duron or Celeron can beat it in bang for the buck, so why did this manufacturer select it ?, perhaps it is because it is embeded to the motherboard.
The two different models have vastly different power requirements which suggest totally different system bases.. The Via C3 version is actually Mini-ITX based while I have not found anyone selling a Duron 1200 mhz or P4 ITX based system made by ECS which makes me believe that these are actually Flex ATX based.

I am still yet to see a Mini ITX based system running other than a Via Eden or C3.. show me

Paul that shuttle board is a socket 370 that run's a celly/pIII/cIII and has built in vid and all the above that mini-itx has.

J :cool:

SpeeDj said:
Paul that shuttle board is a socket 370 that run's a celly/pIII/cIII and has built in vid and all the above that mini-itx has.

J :cool:

I am aware of how similar that they are in specification and indeed how different they are, as I now own a Mini-ITX and a Flex-ATX based system,
You can not begin to understand how small Mini-ITX is untill you see it, the size is amazing and it makes the Flex look large in comparison, in order for Via to achieve the physical size of the Mini ITX they had to loose the ZIF socket and hard solder the Eden and C3 processors to the motherboard, it physically could not be done otherwise. I do not believe that Intel or AMD supply full desktop processors to be hard soldered to a motherboard.

I am just trying to clarify that there is a difference between the formats, I am STILL of the belief that the only processors available to power the Mini-ITX form factor is the Via Eden and Via C3 processors and nobody has provided a link yet with hard evidence proving me wrong.
Small form factor is Flex-ATX try searching for it in google, try searching for a Celeron or Pentium 4 based Mini-ITX system please.. I have never wanted to be wrong so much :D !!

If any of you guys have cad I have an overlay of each of the true form factors (each has hole placement and I/O placement) just PM me with a real email address and I will send it to you. And as for VIA, it dose own the "ITX/mini-ITX form factor" I also should point out that the form factors are all set to max sizes and not minimums the jetways have 2 - 17cmX17cm (mini-ITX max size) mobos and one 17cmX18cm that I know of for sure you just cant get the damn things in the US the non-VIA's are also called book size micro atx and flex as VIA isnt shairing the name making it hard to find any of them

Stedeman said:
I also should point out that the form factors are all set to max sizes and not minimums the jetways have 2 - 17cmX17cm (mini-ITX max size) mobos and one 17cmX18cm

Jetway on there website quote the motherboards as being Micro-ATX which according to the Official Micro-ATX specifications has a 244mm x 244mm (9.6 x 9.6) maximum size which is obviously still a noticable amount larger than Mini-ITX. When you consider that the Jetway mobo pictures on Jetways site displays a processor socket with full size heatsink, two memory slots and two PCI slots not to mention a AMR slot, I would believe that these are larger than the Mini-ITX specifications, the Jetway bearbones product displayed on there website also has case dimensions which are typical of Micro / Flex-ATX and generally larger than that required for Micro-ITX size systems.
Jetway however do not specifiy mobo sizes on their website, where did you discover the dimensions ??

You need to click the word “specification” here is the link to it (http://www.jetway.com.tw/evisn/product/socket370/B860T/spec.htm) and just scroll to the bottom where they call it “Mini Book Size Form Factor” with a dimension of 17cm X 18cm for the “B860T” there are 2 others that are 17cm X 17cm that they discontinued but if you search for them under their model names you will gat a few hits, First choice B860T that you have here second is B614DF and third B615DF. How I even found these is some very long searching I know there is a few from each of the big guys

here is a pic I pulled from CAD on the forms
sorry if its a bit fuzzy but I had to copy to paint to post it
20343414.jpg

Back