• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LED Fan Q's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've always just cut the LED wires on any fans I didn't want them on without issues in the past. Now I won't say 100% that's the case for your fan but I will say that's what I would do.

LEDs will be wired in parallel with the fan circuit, which means they operate independently of it - you can cut the wires and it won't make any difference to the fan.

LED fans

I wanted to double check if this is true-

I have a fan with LEDs that I do not want LEDs on. Can I cut the wires to the LEDs so they dont work, but the fan will still spin normally? I was told this was so.

TY :thup:

Unless it is designed really bad, yes, that will work fine.

EDIT: ^^^^ :sn: me
as long as you only cut the wires going to the LED's. I would try to cut the wires near the base of the LED's. you are able to access it on most fans.

I merged the 2 threads together that you posted on the same subject, Theocnoob. They were essentially the same thing. Please don't post multiple threads aboput the same thing.:)

And yes, you can cut the wires to the LEDs without killing the fan. Or you can do like In Win did on the big @SS fan in the door of my Dragon Rider test case and wire a single pole switch on it to let you turn the LED lights on or off at will.

I did it a few times. Cut it with power off, and seperate the leads fro the motor side.

No worries, none at all. It's just electronics, voltage drops and current flow. Just Ohms law and Kirchoff's law.

Back