• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linksys WRT330N Gaming Router Firmware Issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cfn Nexus

This is the post I made on the Linksys Technical Support Community Forums. It was a situation I've dealt with for the past while, with a Linksys WRT330N Gaming Router. Just a little buyer beware.

http://forums.linksys.com/linksys/board/message?board.id=Wireless_Routers&message.id=67412#M67412

Anomalous said:
I too have experienced the woes of the WRT330N. I purchased the router back in July 2007, for use as a "gaming router". I wanted a router w/ firewall, gigabit enabled and wireless N for future-proofing, and it's "gaming" QoS application. I run no less than 4 pc's at home, Vista and XP OS's, all game online. Not including an XBOX 360, and a Wii. Some of the games played include: Valve's Steam (HalfLife2, Team Fortress2, CS:Source), WoW, World in Conflict, Need for Speed: Carbon, Age of Empires 3...and of course XBOX Live, and the Wii.

Of course more games will be added later, but the point there is, to run these, I need a lot of ports/ranges open.

ISSUE 1: Internet IP Connectivity

After near 4 months, I began experiencing IP connectivity issues with my Internet DSL modem/router. And the communication issue with the web config utility. Every 12-24 hours of use I would need to reset the router. After a month of this, various people in my household started becoming generally ****ed at the internet services.

ISSUE 2: Port Forwarding

With all the games/applications listed above, I, and sooner or later many gamers, require many port forwarding ranges available. DMZ'ing a machine leaves it open to intrusion, that's simply not acceptable with today's Internet environment. As soon as I started adding new ranges, I ran out of space for entries in the web config. There are: 10 single, and 15 range entries only, no expansion. When you have the disallowance of UDP or Both in single port forwarding, you run out of range slots even faster.

ISSUE 3: DHCP

I have a WMPS54G Print server, so I can run my printer from any of the computers in the house. When it comes to setting it up, I cannot set it run off automatic DHCP from the WRT330N, the router will not assign it an IP every time the lease expires, causing me to have to manually set an IP on the Print server. That's annoying. Having the router drop IP's to individual machines after 12-48 hours...very annoying.

With all these problems, I attempted to reflash the firmware with various versions (1.00.1 came with the router, 1.00.2 and 1.00.3 were tried). To no avail, and not one of them deals with the lack of port forwarding ranges. I followed the instructions provided in the manual and power-cycled the router each time.

Case # 071205-019629

So I called Linksys technical support. I ran through the usual questions, and they had me restart the router once again, and completely reset it as well. Of course it came back to the web config, no problem. And the first technician did not understand the issues mentioned, even with everything running smoothly. I was put on hold, the technician went to his supervisor, and I was put through to the next tier. They had me power-cycle, same result. The router appears sound and functions, but the problem is 1) intermittent, and 2) in the features themselves. I bought this router for use in gaming, and having ports available is indeed a gaming issue. If the router does not have it, it may be classified as false advertising. I had to make this clear, and wanted a full refund for the product. I was told by the second tier technician to contact customer services, as I had asked for a full refund.

The retailer had told me they would gladly RMA the product, the technician told me the same, however I did not want the product at all, it would just come with the same problems with features. But I was told that Linksys would not supply a refund. I knew the retailer would just send it in as an RMA and send me a replacement. I had to inform the customer service rep of the warranty policy that came with the router.

The warranty issued with the router states, "...for a period of three years (the “Warranty Period”), your Linksys Product will be substantially free of defects in materials and workmanship under normal use. Your exclusive remedy and Linksys' entire liability under this warranty will be for Linksys at its option to repair or replace the Product or refund Your purchase price less any rebates." Para 1, pg. 79, Appendix H: Warranty Information. Workmanship includes the soft/firmware.

The rep was confused at this, and transferred me to his supervisor, which I then restated the problem and the warrantee again. He again told me I could not be given a refund from Linksys. However, he was concerned with my problem, and would forward a note to Cisco Corporate.

A few days later, I was contacted by one of their customer services escalation reps, explained the story, and was told he would bring this issue up before Corporate, and that "a new firmware is being developed". The issue with the single port forwarding was known, but the lack of entries was not, so it may be solved by next firmware release.

The next day I was contacted by a rep from Cisco Corporate, and was informed that they would send the RMA to my retailer, along with a note that Cisco would credit the retailer for giving me a full refund on the purchase price.

Unfortunate that I had to go through this many steps to obtain a refund, and make the issue known, but in the end they will furnish a refund. Their overall customer service/technical support was good and friendly, remaining professional as much as possible, it helps to remain cool and collected. Talking with people up the chain gives a feeling of connection and fulfillment, and that this issue may become changed in the future. Overall I like Linksys products, I do recommend them to my friends, family and colleagues, and have other products from them in my home. An WMPS54G Print Server (which now works very well with the replacement router of another brand) an EG0065W Switch, and a WRT54G v2 I use on occasion.

Just to cover myself, I was not paid for writing this review, it was my own personal experience. If anyone has any questions, feel free to email me: [email protected]

Back