• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Liquid cooling build advice requested

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bpswenson

Registered
Hello

Thank you for reading! In general I'm looking for advice. Among other things, I do cuda research so that I why I have the 3x 680's. Somewhat considering going to 4. Fairly new to liquid cooling. I have read a ton of stickies and other beginner threads. Also I have read many other liquid cooling threads. I'm hoping to be able to make the most of the hardware that I have (ie I'm happy to do overclocking). I also play games but realize that for games this is a bit overkill. This build is in progress.

So this is what I have:

display:
dell ultrasharp 30"
hp lp3065 30"
some Samsung perhaps 26" (Probably will be another 30 sooner or later)

case:
Case labs TH10 with pedestal & bunch of accessories. (absolutely love it! You want to buy one of these.)

hw:
3 x 680 evga ftw
rampage iv extreme
intel 3930k
G.Skill ripjaws Z series 32GB (8 x 4 GB) 240-pin ddr3 DDR 1866 (PC3 149300)
CORSAIR AX 1200
samsung 840 pro 256 gb
bunch of western digital hds

cooling:
ek supremacy
3x ek-fc680 gtx ftw
ek-fb kit fe4 csq
2x swiftech mcp655
bitspower dual d5 mod top/extreme
2x bitspower d5/mcp655 mod kits (black)
3 xspc rx480
ek dominator ram coolers with ek heatsinks
ek 400 mm res
ton'o'bitspower fittings (don't want barbs)

fans:
Lamptron fc5v2. Thanks lamptron for the in box 2012 calendar :shock:
currently have corsair sp120s on the rads (4 * 3 = 12)
have corsair af 120's for case fans (around 6)
need to buy two 140 fans for pedestal.

So I'm in the process of putting this together. I'm doing bitspower crystal link for all of the blocks attached to the motherboard (ram, cpu, mb, gpu). My goal is to have koolance quick disconnects to allow the motherboard to be removed from the case. It's quite similar to what the singularity dude did with the early version of singularity beast 2. Here are my questions:

Will another 480 rad help at all? With 2 in the pedestal and 2 in the roof. It's not that much more money and I have the room so I'm curious.

Do I need more pumps? Again I have the room.

How bad are 90 deg fittings? I've read so many contradicting reports on this. Is a pure 90 any worse than a dual rotary 90? Can the difference be made up with more pumps? If I were to do a bunch of 90s in my bitspower crystal link config how bad is it?

Anyone think I need a second power supply? Any benefits?

Any benefits to getting faster ram? Read that 8gb ram sticks are slow. Although one could argue that one would be better off with 4 sticks for overclocking. Any thoughts?

Comments on fan choice? My thought is that the sp120s provide quite a bit of static pressure. My hope is that I can contain the noise they make with the fan controller. (ie only turn them on full when doing intensive computation)

Anyone have any suggestions for cable sleeving? I have used modsmart braided sleeving and it seemed fine. Is there anything that is better?

Do I need a filter? I like the aquacomputer filter. Is something like that at all helpful or even necessary? Yes I did rinse my rads with hot water and then distilled before installation.

Thanks for reading. I can provide pics if needed. I appreciate any advice anyone can provide.

Last edited:
I'm adding to your quote line by line to break up the huge post.

Hello

Thank you for reading! In general I'm looking for advice. Among other things, I do cuda research so that I why I have the 3x 680's. Somewhat considering going to 4. Fairly new to liquid cooling. I have read a ton of stickies and other beginner threads. Also I have read many other liquid cooling threads. I'm hoping to be able to make the most of the hardware that I have (ie I'm happy to do overclocking). I also play games but realize that for games this is a bit overkill. This build is in progress.

So this is what I have:

display:
dell ultrasharp 30"
hp lp3065 30"
some Samsung perhaps 26" (Probably will be another 30 sooner or later)

Not WC, ignored.

case:
Case labs TH10 with pedestal & bunch of accessories. (absolutely love it! You want to buy one of these.)

Nice!

hw:
3 x 680 evga ftw
rampage iv extreme
intel 3930k
G.Skill ripjaws Z series 32GB (8 x 4 GB) 240-pin ddr3 DDR 1866 (PC3 149300)
WAY plenty fast, but what is your current ram settings in the bios? If stock settings a waste of money.
CORSAIR AX 1200
samsung 840 pro 256 gb
bunch of western digital hds

cooling:
ek supremacy
Not the best by a few C.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?282245-Stren-s-2012-CPU-Water-Block-Roundup
This link should be faved
3x ek-fc680 gtx ftw
Decent
ek-fb kit fe4 csq
No need to cool the mobo, that is a waste of money. You can read more if you like, no more explaining to do.
2x swiftech mcp655
Don't know much about pumps? Is that the Vario or the normal one? Ever hear about the Swiftech 35x?
bitspower dual d5 mod top/extreme
2x bitspower d5/mcp655 mod kits (black)
3 xspc rx480
Nice
ek dominator ram coolers with ek heatsinks
No one cools their ram, total waste of money and a flow killer.
ek 400 mm res
Like it big? A res size has NO effect on cooling potential. Could look nice tho.
ton'o'bitspower fittings (don't want barbs)
Sure, and your reason why? Rich?

fans:
Decent fans I think. Not real sure. Are they Medium under 2000 RPM and have good pressure ratings or just good case fans?
Lamptron fc5v2. Thanks lamptron for the in box 2012 calendar :shock:
currently have corsair sp120s on the rads (4 * 3 = 12)
have corsair af 120's for case fans (around 6)
need to buy two 140 fans for pedestal.

So I'm in the process of putting this together. I'm doing bitspower crystal link for all of the blocks attached to the motherboard
They ruined many rigs. They crack. (ram, cpu, mb, gpu). My goal is to have koolance quick disconnects WHY? How often are you planning to tear the rig down? They are HUGELY long and really very few need them even tho they seem to be a popular uniformed fav? I have never used one. Most of us have no need unless your a GPU/CPU swaping testing kinda guy. Other folks that been around know this.
to allow the motherboard to be removed from the case. It's quite similar to what the singularity dude did with the early version of singularity beast 2. Here are my questions:

Will another 480 rad help at all? With 2 in the pedestal and 2 in the roof. It's not that much more money and I have the room so I'm curious. Know much about heatload, your Dt temps, planned heatload vs your raddage? You need to learn about it.

Do I need more pumps? Again I have the room.
See my earlier entry.

How bad are 90 deg fittings? I've read so many contradicting reports on this. Is a pure 90 any worse than a dual rotary 90? Can the difference be made up with more pumps? If I were to do a bunch of 90s in my bitspower crystal link config how bad is it?
BAD because they crack. A good hour on Google would of fixed your thought on these. GOOD 90 degree fittings like BP rotaries have a smooth path to direct flow. I guess you don't know about Martinliquidlabs.org and Skinneelabs.com. I question your previous places you did some 'research'.

Anyone think I need a second power supply? Any benefits?
You might want to learn about PSU and wattage in our PSU forum, not for this sub-forum. You got some calculations to do.

Any benefits to getting faster ram? Read that 8gb ram sticks are slow. Although one could argue that one would be better off with 4 sticks for overclocking. Any thoughts?
It's not faster ram, it's good ram that overclocks better. Again, we have a sub-forum for this.

Comments on fan choice? My thought is that the sp120s provide quite a bit of static pressure. My hope is that I can contain the noise they make with the fan controller. (ie only turn them on full when doing intensive computation)
If they rate well keep using them. Plenty info by the TONS for objective fan tests, here also.

Anyone have any suggestions for cable sleeving? I have used modsmart braided sleeving and it seemed fine. Is there anything that is better?
Modsmart is good stuff.

Do I need a filter? I like the aquacomputer filter. Is something like that at all helpful or even necessary? Yes I did rinse my rads with hot water and then distilled before installation.
NO. If you prep well and read the info we provide you'll be fine.

Thanks for reading. I can provide pics if needed. I appreciate any advice anyone can provide.

Nice detailed post. Lots of it deal with WC, lots don't. I dunno where you been reading, your missing some info that our stickies can provide. Meaning our stickies, if done right, while reading many posts for a few weeks will get you ready.

Your gonna spend possibly $1000 on WC for this rig. If you do it wrong it will become a real problem. It's big, it's complicated, lots of chances for umm, you won't be crunching for a while. Even the install of the WC will be a full Friday-Sunday experiance and then maybe a day or so to properly bleed the loop. Even the playing with the parts and the prep is gonna add a day to that. It's a TON of stuff. Heck, the fittings alone will take 4-6 hours to inspect and make sure they are clean, sanitized, not messed up, o rings look good etc. Since I been at this a long time I can cut that to 2 hours.

And you haven't mentioned liquid, so you haven't hung around these forums very long for sure. You's got lots of homework to do.

Don't waste the last 50 minutes of input I just gave you. Become one with the watercooling as a hobby. It IS a hobby.

And your spending way too much time on the clicky clicky buy sites. Your missing the actual knowledge you need without a lot of.... It's a hobby, learn have fun, it will be a AWESOME rig you have with watercooling. But it's huge and needs a lot of work.

Lastly, at least you got the smarts to post in the right forum for WCing. You should get a star for that. Having a rash of folks that can't seem to look around first. You'll do well, we's just gotta work out some issues.

Last edited:
Hey Conumdrum

Thanks for responding. I have visited all of the websites you have mentioned and I have already done most of things you have suggested. As with most things, there are many diverse opinions depending on where you look. Therefore I was just offering these things up in case someone mentions something I haven't already read.

Didn't mention liquid because I've already read 1000s of posts/websites on distilled, pt nuke, silver coil vs premix and I'm not looking for any more advice on it.

Thanks

I just want to add one thing the more liquid you have in the loop the longer it will take to heat up so having a larger reservoir woulnd't necessarly be useless since it would increase the amount of fluid in the loop

do you like alot of noise or a quiet pc? (this is your preference level)
you have to do the math yourself to get what you want to achieve...
what max heat are you willing to let your components run at?
what im saying is most of the questions you have to get your own answers thats where the research and math comes in...

I just want to add one thing the more liquid you have in the loop the longer it will take to heat up so having a larger reservoir woulnd't necessarly be useless since it would increase the amount of fluid in the loop

I went with 400 res because it fit nicely in the massive case and I thought it looked cool. I hadn't considered your point. Thanks for the input!

do you like alot of noise or a quiet pc? (this is your preference level)

I'm not horribly concerned about noise. From the reviews I've read the SP120 are loud at full speed so that is why I got the fan controller.

Might want to look into the 35x pump instead. Glad you got the liquid worked out. You don't know (85%) of the folks who said they read end up picking some wrong liquid, dyes etc. So I'm being cautios.

Good start dude.

So I've decided to forgo the RAM blocks. Less 90s and less blocks. Sold the ram I had and grabbed a 4x8 set of 1866 dominator platinum.

Even the install of the WC will be a full Friday-Sunday experiance

Ha! I've been working on this for months. I don't expect it will end soon and would be greatly disappointed if it did. Too many other commitments and time restraints. Thanks for the advice Conumdrum.

Off to do more sleeving!

If you have dual D5's already go ahead. The 35x is a great PWM pump. Smaller too.

Are you planning to go BIG on overclocking the CPU? WCing the Mobo really isn't needed at all, unless you got a cherry CPU and you need that last 200 mhz, MAYBE WCing the mobo might help.

You drop the mobo requirement, ONE 35x is plenty for that loop. One D5? Dunno. Two would be fine.

It's up to you, if the D5's get the Vario version.

It's up to you, if the D5's get the Vario version.

Yeah I have 2 D5 vario. At one point was considering getting the 24V koolance controller but decided against it after seeing the minimal improvement measured at martinslabs.

You can't host here. Use Photobucket to post pics.

You really want to save pics on this site when there are sites that host pics? Fpr no cost ands any pic? Keep em' in one place. Link when you need to. I been doing that for years.

My family etc pics stay on a backed up system, the pics I MUST KEEP.

You amaze me almost every day Zenos.

You really want to save pics on this site when there are sites that host pics? Fpr no cost ands any pic? Keep em' in one place. Link when you need to. I been doing that for years.

Some people can't see pictures hosted on other sites, like what happened on my thread, that's why it's recommended to attach em here.

Good amaze? Or the
:facepalm: "That is so f*cking stupid" type?
:p

Back