• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Liquid electrical tape experience

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
just dump a little lacquer thinner onto a cd or anything plastic and try to dry it off as fast as you can and watch that cd even after it seems like its dry its still degrading because it gets inside the plastic and dissolves it from the inside out :p
b12 chemtool is way worse dont even think about it lolol xD

seems everytime i try to clean anything plastic with the stuff i never learn :'(

Ive heard of many people washing mobo's in the sink / dishwasher. Just pull anything with thermal pads and the cmos battery. I've never done it.

If I were you: Liquid electrical tape on the card. Eraser/Frostking around the pci slot / bottom of board. And a little lube in the slot ;). Vaseline can be removed with a hair dryer i think...

Extreme benching: Part gaming, part engineering, part chemistry and part arts and crafts lol.

shoot are you telling me i shouldn't be using glitter in my dielectric mix?

You guys ever thought about using an additional insulator over the back of the cards between the card and the vasoline/dielectric mix? that can make things a little less messy to work with.

What about the die area? The 4890 has exposed surface mount components on the chip next to the exposed die. I've only insulated CPUs with full cover heatspreaders... Should I paint liquid electrical tape over the surface mount components on the chip itself also? The obvious answer is yes because I don't want them to get frosty and short, however painting on the chip itself gives me the willys.

if its go exposed componenets the the like pcb between and the core you should cover them. Go right up to the edges of the core but don't put any over the top of it.

However eraser might be a better choice for the surface of like bridge chips and graphics cards with exposed cores. I think it has a better thermal transfer rate then the liquid electrical tape will have. Though it might not matter much with the ln2.

Thermal transfer doesn't matter, keeping the surface mount components from shorting does.

I'm curious what others have done, but I'll probably paint up next to the core like you mention.

I've seen a lot of conformals, they just tape off the surface of the die, spray it down. then remove the tape and your good to go.

For eraser I see people get it level up to the edges of the core, and fairly level with the top and then your good to go with a whatever your gonna mount to it.

Yeah those smd thingies definitely need to be insulated.
Eraser'll be too thick.

You know what the pros use.

images

rdrash finally got me using vaseline. I refused to before, because of the mess, then I realized you can't get any real scores if you're too worried about keeping everything clean. Hit it with a blow drier and it comes right off anyway :p

Function over form typically, atleast thats the way i perfer to work. If I get to keep my warranty even better. But warranty or not isn't gonna keep me for pushing something to the limit.

rdrash finally got me using vaseline. I refused to before, because of the mess, then I realized you can't get any real scores if you're too worried about keeping everything clean. Hit it with a blow drier and it comes right off anyway :p

Or you could use some hot soap and water, with a brush. Cleans those ports out instantly.

So again just so I understand, with the vaseline in a socket/slot/etc all you need is to put a blow dryer on it (on medium heat I would suppose?) and it just falls out of the slots/etc or it dries out and you peel/pick at it? :chair:

I have put several boards in the dish washer, actually Jeremy (sno) convinced me, and all worked great afterward, so put Vaseline on and just dishwasher it afterward, nice and squeaky clean

What about the die area? The 4890 has exposed surface mount components on the chip next to the exposed die. I've only insulated CPUs with full cover heatspreaders... Should I paint liquid electrical tape over the surface mount components on the chip itself also? The obvious answer is yes because I don't want them to get frosty and short, however painting on the chip itself gives me the willys.

The things I have covered in this pictures (http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6839098&postcount=10) are the only things that need to be. ;)

Question in dishwashing: do you use a socket protector when you put it in there? You'd think the water might bend up some of the pins on intel boards.

Back