• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Liquid electrical tape experience

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I plan to stream it. :) I'll need help, I don't know crap about running 3D. Never bothered to do much with it on AMD chips, knew I'd be taking the cards cold and not worth the time running AMD for 3D... so I'm entirely inexperienced.

EDIT: 44minutes left on my youtube upload of the first coat of insulation (1.5GB file). I have another 1Gb upload once thats done for the second/final coat of insulation.

Insulation did fine it seems... VRMs were getting burning hot however, and there was a lot of melt from the frost on the pot, which I think the paper towels were catching sufficiently. Hard to tell right now as the whole shebang is frozen together so I can pull the towels off to see if the board was getting wet. :shrug:

Grabbed 11 points in 3d06, set for about 18 in 3d05 but saved the result and didn't take a proper screenshot so I haven't submitted it yet, and 3d03 score sucked, but I submitted it anyways... Just need to get 3d05 done and I can finally get my damn banner! :D

Need help with 3d03... Was doing ok on the other ones, not sure what I'm doing wrong in 03, I was running 1100/1100 and my score was way too low, like 74K.

I'll be back at it tomorrow, earlier in the evening also. Thanks to bobnova for the help especially, I was clueless. Thanks to everyone else who stopped by also and helped me out. :beer:

EDIT: After taking forever to upload the video, youtube removed it because it was "too long". I don't know what the timelimit is, but the video was under 30 minutes. There was a message when I uploaded that said our account was approved for videos longer than 15 minutes, which I thought meant there was no limit for us... Guess that isn't the case. :( I'll work on getting it uploaded again tomorrow sometime, as well as part 2 with the second/final coat.

Not too happy with the job I did, might have been from drying it too quickly with the blower, but the tape pulled away from the ram chips and the GPU, so I used grease to cover those spots - I noticed before I mounted it up fortunately. Looks like when it dried it shrank a bit. Probably could be worked around if I did a better job applying it... But nothing died, I think. :thup:

Last edited:
Seems like it went O.K. However, I'll stand behind my suggestion to conformal the card. Edmund persuaded me to change from a paint on to conformal with like 10 words. It's the same prep as other methods, but takes like 10 minutes to apply, and is the most even coverage possible.

Seems like it went O.K. However, I'll stand behind my suggestion to conformal the card. Edmund persuaded me to change from a paint on to conformal with like 10 words. It's the same prep as other methods, but takes like 10 minutes to apply, and is the most even coverage possible.

Ya, after seeing how the liquid tape worked I'll be going Fine-L-Kote. I can order today and get it tomorrow.

@Brolloks: I am probably going to take the 5870 cold this weekend. 3 items before I do that. First it might already be toast - I couldn't install benches with it on air yesterday, system kept shutting down with the card installed. Everything was fine once I switched to the cold 4890. Second, it is a gigabyte card with a non-reference voltage regulator and I don't know how to get more volts than OC Guru wants to give me (afterburner can't do voltage control with it), and I don't know what "default" voltage is on this card. Third, I will want to figure out what I'm doing with this 4890 first - for instance, I know I can probably setup hotkey profiles, then find the limits of the card for each particular scene of the bench and I should get a few extra positions in the rankings that way. Last night I just ran at whatever settings the card would run through the entire bench, not the max per subtest. I also need to make sure I'm doing the LBB stuff too, and once I'm pretty sure I'm getting the best I can from the card - time to pour more volts into it. I haven't gone past 1.4V yet, but I will once I'm sure my scores are reasonably efficient for my settings. :beer:

EDIT: Looking at past runs, I've had the memory at 1190 through 3d06 so I need to get that back up there. I also ran 1.4V through the GPU on air, so once I get some good scores in all the 3d benches, I'll get the volts up higher and improve the scores till it dies. I need to setup some ducting so the VRMs are getting airflow without melting the frost on the pot - the finger check was burning hot at times.

Last edited:
4890 is headed to the oven tomorrow I believe, but its artifacting terribly after tonights session.

I turned the rig upside down last night when I was done to dry out. Tonight I turned it back over, redid my paper towel coverage below the card better, and pointed a fan at the power section of the card as it got pretty hot yesterday. Started out not wanting to do 1100/1100 in 3d05, which it did yesterday fine - I have the validation file saved for that, but I didn't get a screenshot for hwbot. (my score was worth 17 or 18 points)

So anyways, went through about 10 reboots with it locking up in return to proxycon today, just trying to get something close to 1100/1100 to finish again. No dice, and on the last reboot it turned back on with artifacts all over the screen.

Calling the distributor to get fine-l-kote tomorrow, and once I have it I'll prep the 5870 and the board with it. I probably could have done a better job with the liquid electrical tape, I was pretty lax in my application and I saw some weaknesses from when it dried and shrank away from the ram chips. I covered those tiny cracks with grease, but I'm guessing some moisture got in there and that is what did it in.

If it dries out, is it possible the artifacting will go away? I'll let it sit for a few days and try it again after the weekend if it might just need to dry out... Otherwise I'll bake it tomorrow and try to run it again tomorrow night. If it doesn't work, I'm coating the 5870 in vaseline to get me through the weekend. :rock:

It entirely possible that there was some water under a ram chip or something. Hopefully that's the case.

Even if its done'fer, the reassuring part is that I know I wasn't very happy with the insulation job I did. I'd be more concerned if I thought I did a really good job insulating, then it died. :shrug:

I have a feeling this isn't the last we've seen of this 4890 though. I think it will pull through to fight another day.

Matt, I also had a 4890 that was stubborn after a cold session, leave it for a few days to rest and flash back to stock, it should be fine.

Cool, it's actually still at stock, so I'll just leave it sit. I ended up using AB extreme to change voltage (I only had it up to 1.412V), so I hadn't flashed the BIOSes you gave me yet.

Back