• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LMAO a xeon E5450 is a monster

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i did the same mod with an old xeon from my server pretty fun stuff i think i booted it up one time, then sold it as i didnt have any real use.

The best numbers I got for CineBench R15 was 120 for single core, and 353 for multicore.
This is a Xeon X3360 @ 4.25, which is rough equivalent of Q9550 I think. The 8.5 multiplier is a bit of a drag, but at the time it was only $100 instead of the $300 ebay folks were scalping for Q9xxx.

So just for you guys I dug thing thing out - well actually I'd totally forgotten to do this after I physically went and got the machine back after 6 months :bang head

If TucoPacifico could do some benchmarks with CineBench R15 with his 775 machine, it would give some interesting datapoints since he is DDR3, and mine is DDR2.

Which yes - 8GB of DDR2 @ 500 (1000) means running 4 2GB sticks of DDR2 @ 500. My motherboard's northbridge hates it's life. Other fun features include not POSTing consistently anymore with any half-modern vidcard. :(

Last laugh for everyone - this chip is older C1 stepping... not the much nicer E0 stepping. So this thing is a furnace and takes high-volts to do anything fun. The machine sadly was retired from Rosetta@Home duty because it started getting really bad at nuking itself (and corrupting the BOINC project file - a new machine ID every week is not fun) after running solid load for a few days. Probably heat soak, but I mean... I can't complain - honestly it shouldn't run at all anymore :p

So enough of my jawing - enjoy some results from a dying 775 rig :D

oh! I just noticed:
this is my Q9650 @3.69GHz

(404cp in multithread)

So he's kicking my arse in multithread R15 despite being 560MHz slower. But I'm faster in single thread at 120 vs 103.

Are you running DDR3 q9650? Since my rig is DDR2 I wonder if I'm bottlenecking on that in multithread?

That or the reason my motherboard can run 500fsb is that the internal chipset timings are set really slack.
Oh man, now I'm getting the shakes again... memset, BAREdit, cputweaker and friends...

I probably should make a ghost image of the hard drive first, eh :D

So I realized that the thread never addressed the original question - and me putting my foot in mouth and making the wager that an Intel Yorkfield (45nm quad) could beat a 6 core FX-61xx.

OP never clarified what benchmark he used, where his xeon E5450 "beat the shyt out of the am3 cpu" which was "6 core am3 6100 cpu in another system OC to 3.5Ghx"
Side Note: E5450 is socket 771 btw, I wish he wrote more on if he actually did a 775 mod/adapter, since the ABIT IP35 Pro ... the E5450 would have had a multiplier of 9. He said he reached 4.1GHz but couldn't stabilize it. P35 chipset running 455 "fsb" with a quad core likely not recognized by the bios. Just pointing all that out, not as a "debbie doubter" but more... that's awesome that even worked that far, and of any boardmaker Abit is one of few where that... is plausible.

ANYWAY...
Okay, so for fun I disabled 2 cores on the 8370 I have, so simulate an FX 63xx. Realize again though, OP said 61xx. And Bulldozer core (vs Vishera) didn't scale well past 4.3 I think. But... I didn't catch that until I was done doing the benches... :bang head

But hey! We don't need no excuse to bench things here!

Stick around to the end for the bonus stupidity where I got the sabo R2 stuck in a bootloop at 5.5GHz :bday:

@4.8GHz with 6 cores enabled
Single Core: 116
Multi Core: 548

note: 2 cores are disabled
cpuz8370at6cores.png 63xxSIMsingle.png 63xxSIMmulti.png 63xxSIMopenGL.png

@5.16
Single Core: 119
Multi Core: fun fact - when you only have a single core enabled, clicking Advanced on CineBench R15 menu does... nothing :rofl:
note: 7 cores are disabled
1corebeingfunzo.png 1corebeingfunzosingle.png

When I get the machine to post correctly again, I'll try and get a 5.3 single core for laughs. Assuming it works.

UPDATE: so after turning a can of "canned air" upside down to freeze the heatsink (make shift "freeze spray") I managed to get into bios/UEFI and set it to 5.29GHz. It got about 3/4 done in R15 before the machine hung. So 5.16 is my lazy limit since the machine is a daily driver =D

I'm sure it could be made to work, but for real scores there's HWBot ;)

Hope ya'll got a laugh at least.

Last edited:
The best numbers I got for CineBench R15 was 120 for single core, and 353 for multicore.
This is a Xeon X3360 @ 4.25, which is rough equivalent of Q9550 I think. The 8.5 multiplier is a bit of a drag, but at the time it was only $100 instead of the $300 ebay folks were scalping for Q9xxx.

So just for you guys I dug thing thing out - well actually I'd totally forgotten to do this after I physically went and got the machine back after 6 months :bang head

If TucoPacifico could do some benchmarks with CineBench R15 with his 775 machine, it would give some interesting datapoints since he is DDR3, and mine is DDR2.

Which yes - 8GB of DDR2 @ 500 (1000) means running 4 2GB sticks of DDR2 @ 500. My motherboard's northbridge hates it's life. Other fun features include not POSTing consistently anymore with any half-modern vidcard. :(

Last laugh for everyone - this chip is older C1 stepping... not the much nicer E0 stepping. So this thing is a furnace and takes high-volts to do anything fun. The machine sadly was retired from Rosetta@Home duty because it started getting really bad at nuking itself (and corrupting the BOINC project file - a new machine ID every week is not fun) after running solid load for a few days. Probably heat soak, but I mean... I can't complain - honestly it shouldn't run at all anymore :p

So enough of my jawing - enjoy some results from a dying 775 rig :D

Allright, sorry for late reply. Will do Cinebench today. Installing 140mm scythes in front of case today, so might be I will be checking @4200 instead of 4100, if temps will be fine. Will report back.

EDIT:
Cinebench R15
Multicore 452
Single core 116
No lollygaggin, just ran the program as is @4.11 ghz. Temps are not promising to attempt 4.2 ghz.

What do you think about the multi and single score?

Last edited:
Running xeon E5450 @ 4104 MHz on ASUS P5Q3, 8gb DDR3 @ 1460 MHz, getting 6300 CPU score in Passmark 8 + R9 390 graphic adapter. CPU cooler is Noctua NH-D14.

Skyrim ENB + 112 mods smooth mostly 50-80 FPS, before OC (@3 GHz) had like 30-45 FPS. For it's age and price the old xeon is a beast.

If anyone needs my voltages I can post them. Running stable Prime95 small data heat generator @75C core max for 30 minutes, have not tested further.

Hello. Write me please your voltages. I have motheboard P5Q3 and Xeon e5450.

I tried a 771-775 adapter to use a Xeon x5470 in my brother's q6600 rig. After some trial and error (positioning the adapter mostly), i got it post and it recgonized and everything. Things were great! Couldn't wait to see the performance boost.

But it was completely unstable for some reason. I was using a reportedly working motherboard/chipset that should have been fine, made voltage adjustments with no luck, no clue. Ended up selling the CPU and the adapter and the person i sold it to said it worked fine. Put the q6600 back in, and back to 100% stable that system went. Its a b0 stepping on the q6600 and i couldn't get it stable at 3ghz so i left it stock as well.

oh well. The x5470 seems like its great for the older boards if you can get it going with adapter, i imagine it would hold its own decently still too on a ddr3 775 board. Then OC from there. I wonder what it could compare to "maxed out"

Here are a couple fun data points for you.

capture006.jpg

cinebench4600.png

cinebench.png

cinebench.png

Last edited:
I tried a 771-775 adapter to use a Xeon x5470 in my brother's q6600 rig. After some trial and error (positioning the adapter mostly), i got it post and it recgonized and everything. Things were great! Couldn't wait to see the performance boost.

But it was completely unstable for some reason. I was using a reportedly working motherboard/chipset that should have been fine, made voltage adjustments with no luck, no clue. Ended up selling the CPU and the adapter and the person i sold it to said it worked fine. Put the q6600 back in, and back to 100% stable that system went. Its a b0 stepping on the q6600 and i couldn't get it stable at 3ghz so i left it stock as well.

oh well. The x5470 seems like its great for the older boards if you can get it going with adapter, i imagine it would hold its own decently still too on a ddr3 775 board. Then OC from there. I wonder what it could compare to "maxed out"

I had to download a custom bios to get my X5450 to work with my Asus commando. I was posting but not booting before I downloaded the bios but once I loaded it the system worked like a charm! Also check out my old thread here:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/770019-UPGRADE-My-Q9650-3-7GHz?highlight=q9650
I posted some benchmarks with my old Q9650 (the same as the X5450) @3.7GHz. With a GOOD MOTHERBOARD+COOLER and DDR3 ram you can expect 4GHz+ and better benchmarks as a result. I was bottlenecking a R9 380X with the Chip but not by much. I was able to play witcher 3 with mixed High/Ultra settings (hairworks & V-sync off) at 40-50FPS 1920x1080. I think they are comparable to the i5-2500k when gaming. I think if you wanted to buy a HD 7870 it would pair great with this chip and you can buy those for about $80 on ebay. The HD 7870 maxes out skyrim at 60FPS. If you are looking for a cheap LGA775 medium-ultra gaming setup for 1080p gaming here is what I'd recommend

CPU: X5450 Modded ($22 with sticker)
MOBO: GA-EP45-UD3R or equivalent P45 chipset [CHECK COMPATABILITY WITH MOD OR BUY A Q9650 FOR $70] (about $90)
GPU: HD 7870 ($80)
COOLER: Evo 212 ($30)
PSU: EVGA 500+ Watt ($50ish)

Total: $272

That build covers most of the main components and should be good for gaming and a 4GHz overclock. If you can get good deals and pick up used parts off of either ebay or craigslist you can lower the price even more. Hope that helps!

I had to download a custom bios to get my X5450 to work with my Asus commando. I was posting but not booting before I downloaded the bios but once I loaded it the system worked like a charm! Also check out my old thread here:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/770019-UPGRADE-My-Q9650-3-7GHz?highlight=q9650
I posted some benchmarks with my old Q9650 (the same as the X5450) @3.7GHz. With a GOOD MOTHERBOARD+COOLER and DDR3 ram you can expect 4GHz+ and better benchmarks as a result. I was bottlenecking a R9 380X with the Chip but not by much. I was able to play witcher 3 with mixed High/Ultra settings (hairworks & V-sync off) at 40-50FPS 1920x1080. I think they are comparable to the i5-2500k when gaming. I think if you wanted to buy a HD 7870 it would pair great with this chip and you can buy those for about $80 on ebay. The HD 7870 maxes out skyrim at 60FPS. If you are looking for a cheap LGA775 medium-ultra gaming setup for 1080p gaming here is what I'd recommend

CPU: X5450 Modded ($22 with sticker)
MOBO: GA-EP45-UD3R or equivalent P45 chipset [CHECK COMPATABILITY WITH MOD OR BUY A Q9650 FOR $70] (about $90)
GPU: HD 7870 ($80)
COOLER: Evo 212 ($30)
PSU: EVGA 500+ Watt ($50ish)

Total: $272

That build covers most of the main components and should be good for gaming and a 4GHz overclock. If you can get good deals and pick up used parts off of either ebay or craigslist you can lower the price even more. Hope that helps!

Nice info! Yeah i forgot to mention i had a BIOS with the added microcode flashed on that mobo too. It would post and boot, just BSOD all the time and i couldn't figure it out so i had to move on. And thanks for the advice as well, but have also decided to move on from trying to keep that old system relevant. I have a friend who is going to be upgrading his rig and will sell me his i7-950 CPU (his mobo has issues so i dont want it) for $40. So i'll just start working on something around that. Seen some refurb ATX mobos on ebay from HP Z400 workstation PCs that will do the trick, and they only running around $68. Throw in 8gb of DDR3 that goes for cheap and transfer over the rest of his parts (and maybe a new GPU, his 560 is long in the tooth), and he'll be set. Im thinking a GTX 950 will work wonders for him in a refreshed system and all that wont break the bank.

Nice info! Yeah i forgot to mention i had a BIOS with the added microcode flashed on that mobo too. It would post and boot, just BSOD all the time and i couldn't figure it out so i had to move on. And thanks for the advice as well, but have also decided to move on from trying to keep that old system relevant. I have a friend who is going to be upgrading his rig and will sell me his i7-950 CPU (his mobo has issues so i dont want it) for $40. So i'll just start working on something around that. Seen some refurb ATX mobos on ebay from HP Z400 workstation PCs that will do the trick, and they only running around $68. Throw in 8gb of DDR3 that goes for cheap and transfer over the rest of his parts (and maybe a new GPU, his 560 is long in the tooth), and he'll be set. Im thinking a GTX 950 will work wonders for him in a refreshed system and all that wont break the bank.

I would get a better motherboard if I where you, that way you can overclock it :)

Don't you have to mod the bios for all the socket 775 boards?

LGA 1366 motherboards arent exactly abundant (or affordable) right now lol.
This is so much the truth it hurts. I have a i7-930 just sitting in a box because any decent 1366 mobo for it is literally $270+ ... and I'm a distributed computing guy too so it drives me totally nuts.

Good DDR3 775 boards are also going this direction. I had a dumpy G41 board I thought died and I went to look for a replacement... anything DDR3, that isn't OEM and/or junk for overclocking you're looking at $90 or so. No more good 775 boards for under $60. Anything awesome is $120. Which at that point I start considering a newer socket... (also depressing).

Don't you have to mod the bios for all the socket 775 boards?

No not really, that was the beauty of the mod. The boards that could do it could just do it. Though to take full advantage, a custom BIOS that supports the Xeon microcode is recommended.

- - - Updated - - -

This is so much the truth it hurts. I have a i7-930 just sitting in a box because any decent 1366 mobo for it is literally $270+ ... and I'm a distributed computing guy too so it drives me totally nuts.

Good DDR3 775 boards are also going this direction. I had a dumpy G41 board I thought died and I went to look for a replacement... anything DDR3, that isn't OEM and/or junk for overclocking you're looking at $90 or so. No more good 775 boards for under $60. Anything awesome is $120. Which at that point I start considering a newer socket... (also depressing).

Maybe this can help you. It's what I'm considering when the i7-950 is my friend has is freed up.

No not really, that was the beauty of the mod. The boards that could do it could just do it. Though to take full advantage, a custom BIOS that supports the Xeon microcode is recommended.

one fun trick is if a stock bios supports the Xeon X3360 (it's a socket 775 xeon) then generally it will support "by accident" 771 xeons. BUT... this is pure conjecture/unproven/guy on interwebs talking out his *** so ... now I kinda want to delete this statement because I don't want anyone to get burned by my massively unproven conjecture

Maybe this can help you. It's what I'm considering when the i7-950 is my friend has is freed up.... (Link to HP Z400 OEM Mobo)
Thanks for the thought, but that's what I mean by non-overclockable OEM boards. Plus on that board I'm not sure what's going on with only having 4 DDR3 slots - socket 1366 is triple channel and if I'm gonna be stuck at stock speed, at the very least I can have it suck up 12 of my random junk DDR3 sticks since OEM/spec would force them to run at under 1333 (or even 1066 if they're big enough) =D

but again, I'm not being snarky to you, thanks for the link! It just all the "good" 1366 boards are... apparently still in service, got scrapped or... people on ebay know what they're worth (grrrr).

one fun trick is if a stock bios supports the Xeon X3360 (it's a socket 775 xeon) then generally it will support "by accident" 771 xeons. BUT... this is pure conjecture/unproven/guy on interwebs talking out his *** so ... now I kinda want to delete this statement because I don't want anyone to get burned by my massively unproven conjecture

Thanks for the thought, but that's what I mean by non-overclockable OEM boards. Plus on that board I'm not sure what's going on with only having 4 DDR3 slots - socket 1366 is triple channel and if I'm gonna be stuck at stock speed, at the very least I can have it suck up 12 of my random junk DDR3 sticks since OEM/spec would force them to run at under 1333 (or even 1066 if they're big enough) =D

but again, I'm not being snarky to you, thanks for the link! It just all the "good" 1366 boards are... apparently still in service, got scrapped or... people on ebay know what they're worth (grrrr).

I had actually also found a triple channel Dell mobo for under $40. I guess for the money these boards are hard to beat and good for a regular build, not really for pushing their limits.

However something does interest me....
Are 1366 Xeons interchangeable with 1366 i7 series processors? Like, can I drop a Xeon in the board I linked above without modding the socket? Might new interesting, I wonder what Xeons the x58 chipset supports? "By default" support i imagine?

Are 1366 Xeons interchangeable with 1366 i7 series processors?
Socket 1366 was the last socket before Intel integrated the entirety of the traditional chipset Northbridge into the proc, which means it's the last traditional Intel socket - the mobo still controlled the show.

In short, YES. It's worth looking for surplus 1366 xeons on ebay.

Back