• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Long time no Water..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neco

Hi guys,

It's been years since I have read/posted. But I just might be getting back into water, if I can squeeze together some saved up cash.. The purchase is likely a long ways off but I had a few general questions.

I'm picking up a new case some time this week, as I am putting my current (NZXT Whisper) one on file server detail, with my spare intel kit I upgraded from a few months ago.

I'm thinking I will probably pick up a NZXT Source. I'm looking to reduce the size of my primary rig, and also remove all drives from it except for 1 Optical and 1 SSD. I'm also picking up a new 750W powersupply, and recycling my current Antec 550W to the file server (its a couple years old but should still provide the power for a C2D, HD5770 and 8 - 10 Green SATA HDDs).

The NZXT Source seems to have 140mm for the top fans, and so I was thinking of trying to find a 140mm Radiator and fan. Swiftech appears to have a 140mm in production, so I was hoping to go with that if it comes out soon.. Would also be a bonus if they have a built-in-pump model like with their other Radiators.. If not I think a new Apogee is supposed to come out? (Or I confused that with something else) so maybe that will be an option.. Although I'd rather get that block with the multiple outlets option for splitting your loop if I want to cool a GPU later..

My primary concern is radiator size. I don't want to have to buy a huge case to hold a 120.3 or 120.4 or something.. I am hoping to find a 140.2 at the largest, and mount it to the outside top of the case, or perhaps internally right up against the top panel (whatever the case would allow).

However, will that be sufficient to cool a Phenom II x4 925 @ 3.5Ghz or higher? I've got it at 3.5Ghz right now with my Noctua NH-U12P SE2 but I'm afraid to take it higher with the Whisper because I have no top exhaust and the AMD mounting holes do not allow a "facing the back 120mm exhaust" option like my Intel rig did.

Either way I want to upgrade along the way, perhaps to Piledriver, or the next chip after that (If AMD can redeem themselves) since I sunk $400+ into this core upgrade based on the false hype coming out about Bulldozer... I intend to use the platform until it dies and I need a new upgrade (Last upgrade was 3-4 years ago when I bought my C2D setup)

I don't want to do extreme overclocking, but just something moderate like hitting a full 1Ghz overclock with minimal voltage boost, etc.. And possibly some GPU cooling in the future if I can afford that. My rig IS pretty quiet, but I have always enjoyed water cooling in my heart, I remember back when I was 18 and joined the forum after getting my first kit for my birthday :blah:

If I could get and find a way to fit two pump/radiator combos like the Swifties, then perhaps I would just run 2 loops with smaller radiators (120.2 on the top and 120.2 down the backside, with the standoff Swifty mounting kits - 1 Loop for CPU and 1 for GPU).

Thoughts on any of this? Thanks.

Thanks.. I have seen some of it already, will check out the rest..

I did end up going with a different case (Fractal Designs Arc Midi) as it has a 120/140 mounting option for Radiator on top of the case and looks pretty nice otherwise.. (Came with 3x 140mm fans too.. will see how they compare to my Noctuas)

Back