• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Look out JrClocker.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
I'm gunnin' for the ppd slot. Now that I think that I'm 100% again, I'm going to shoot for your current production level. I'm banking on the heat of summer as my hedge. I have a cool basement to ease my pain up north and you don't have either of those advantages. Of course, this did not work out well for me the last time I called you out so..... :chair:

Hrmmm.....

My 3 Pascal era Titan's are still cranking...for the moment. The summer heat is starting to pick up pretty solid here.

I may have to shut down 1 of them soon...we shall see though.

As per usual, I may have jumped the gun on my triumphant return to glory. Last night was less than expected. I'd better check out the rest of my farm.

Last night the power went out then back on immediately. Then out and later on. Then out and on again and then a few more times. Once everything was up and running. I went to turn on my farm and there was a distinct smell of magic smoke. Now when you have a single machine with a single card it's not hard to find where the issue is. However, when you have multiple machine with multiple cards each and when some of those cards are installed in a manner that blocks the vew of other cards, you have to sniff around quickly to isolate the general area where the problem resides before the smoke vanishes into thin air.

I lost a 980 Ti last night. I'll try to RMA it if MSI will take it but I have a poor history with MSI and graphics cards so I'm not optimistic at this point. I got the rest up and running though so we'll see where that puts me.

I hope you have your devices on UPS or at least surge suppressors. UPS are the best. Also - remember that every time a surge suppressor does it's job, it becomes "less good" at being a surge suppressor. (i.e. the circuity that absorbs the extra energy gets damaged in the process of protecting your equipment.) So, if you haven't changed out your surge suppressors in a while...you should!

Fun Fact
---------
The power clicking on and off a few times in sequence is a relatively new thing in the power industry...it's called a Recloser...my company sells a lot of them.

In the "old days" when there was a short on the power line someplace, it would pop a main fuse. In order for power to be restored, a lineman would have to visual inspect every foot of the transmission line downstream from where the fuse popped. The fuse cannot be replaced and power brought up until there is 100% verification that the short is cleared (the power industry calls these "faults"). Power would be out for a long time.

In the "modern days" the long transmission lines are being divided into smaller segments. There is a sensitive piece of electronic equipment for each segment that measures the amount of energy delivered into the short. When it reaches a certain level, power is interrupted, then restored. If the short is still there, the process is repeated a few times. If, after a few times, the short is still present, the Recloser will keep the circuit live and allow for the main fuse to pop.

The majority of power line shorts are temporary...a tree branch...or a squirrel that does the "super jump" from one phase to another phases and ends up touching both. (Actually, the squirrel is the majority of the temporary shorts.) This technology allows for the transitory items to be "burned off" without completely dropping power. The customer (me and you) has relatively uninterrupted power, and the power company can "roll the truck" to verify that there was not any permanent damage as a lower priority item.

Back