• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a sli am3 mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Devin103

As the title says, trying to find a am3 mobo that supports sli and has two x16 slots. Planning on sli'ing 2 480s soon and needs to be am3 so I can put my phenom ll x6 1090T in it. Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

You don't need two x16 slots. The card isn't even as fast as a PCIe 2.0 x8 slot.

Any 990X or 990FX board should be fine.

They'll lose 1-3% in the 2.0 x8 slot as compared to a 2.0 x16 slot, but that's not much.

Many (most?) 990FX boards have x16/x16 slots though. I think the 790FX and 890FX chipsets do too.

AM3 boards with AMD chipset do not have driver support for SLI. The 990 chipset boards ushered in SLI support with AMD again.

EDIT:
There were but maybe no longer available, a few AMD cpu boards with a wonky Nvidia chipset that did support SLI. Not many of those boards were made. MSI and Asus made a model or two. If you overclock, I would not have later AMD cpu and older Nvidia chipset mobo. They are most often cheap boards and in general, they overclock poorly.
END EDIT.

Last edited:
AM3 boards with AMD chipset do not have driver support for SLI. The 990 chipset boards ushered in SLI support with AMD again.

EDIT:
There were but maybe no longer available, a few AMD cpu boards with a wonky Nvidia chipset that did support SLI. Not many of those boards were made. MSI and Asus made a model or two. If you overclock, I would not have later AMD cpu and older Nvidia chipset mobo. They are most often cheap boards and in general, they overclock poorly.
END EDIT.

Thanks for that, I'd forgotten that 790/890 didn't support SLI.
990FX it is then.

Back