• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for GOOD walkthroughs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Teholdsedare

I Have not been able to figure out the technical aspect of overclocking memory. I have a test box (AM2/DDR2) that I dont care if I blow stuff up on.
Now, I have built computers for 8 years, but I never ventured into ram OC, just CPU. I realize how limited I was... but its time to fix that.

How do ram timings affect cpu/board performance?

What else should I need to know to effectively (and manually - Auto settings are behind me now) change everything I need to change?

Well we would be your automatic settings, wouldn't we? If you really want to do this you need to read more about it first, then ask specific questions. Now you're asking us to basically explain what RAM does, then to tell you each and every settings you should change, as if it could even work like that. That's what automatic OC does, and usually, it does it quite bad.

Overclocking ram with low timing will only help in memory benchmarking you wont see real world gains like overclocking your CPU.

Yet it's fun and a valid question, don't you think guys?

I think you will have to do some reading on the basics, and experiment on your own.
We have some very knowledgeable folks here who helped me out a great deal, and still do. Lots of stuff to grasp with ram ocing...(cough Woomack, Moocow cough)

Anyway, you should start by reading your memory's jedec and xmp profiles in cpu-z.
Can you post a few screenshots?
You can download cpu-z from here. It will display your system info. You need to open four instances and take a screenshot of all four of them showing these tabs:
-CPU
-Mainboard
-Memory
-SPD

We can help you out more if you post that image here.

I want to thank you for takin the time to post guys. I left this off with a vague comment to start. I know a bit more then it sounds.
I had Cpu-z/prime95/orthos (depending on CPU I was testing...) and was using it actively for CPU setup.
For ram, I have read the Jedec profile. I am using DDR2. So are those the timings that are compatible with the ram? These would be the numbers I input into my bios for manual mode I assume?

(NOTE... more like disclaimer... I am using mixed ram... I passively assuming this is a bad idea when OCing... but I want to LEARN on this setup. Not max this setup permanently - I can take out as needed and put 2-1GB OC 4-4-4-13 in if needed to test effectively)

I will post a SS in a minute.

SS_zpsc87684d8.jpg

Slot 2 and 3 are the exact same, and when I test it, I will remove the 1GB stick in slot 1. the timing table was different then 2/3.

I hope this clears some things up at least :)

I have very little experience with that board...and specially with ddr2 so I won't be of much help. For starters you can base on the numbers for one of the jedec profiles and change the mhz and main timings one by one if it doesn't boot. Use the stock dram voltage first to see how far it'll go without changing it.

I wouldn't advice mixing sets, unless you're certain they use the same type of ram chips and even then the binning itself would make things complicated.

Back