• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for help with BSOD from new ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LookinRealSaucy

Registered
Just upgraded from 4x2gb modules to 2x8gb vengeance modules. With both modules in, it instantly freezes on boot (first screen showing mobo model). With one module in, it BSOD's when attempting to load windows. The error is IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

I've changed the mobo dram settings to the correct timing, clock speed, and voltage for the new modules, but continue to get this error. The one thing I can't find the setting for is the CAS Latency (should be 9 for the new modules).

I'm burning a dvd w/ memtest86 on it, hopefully this should tell me if the ram is defective or not.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as this is my first OC.

system specs :

Biostar T5xe cfx-sli mobo
intel core i5 650 @3.8ghz
2x 8gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz (1x currently)
evga nvidia geforce gtx460
ocz vertex 64gb ssd (OS only)
ocz fatality 550w psu
windows ultimate 64b

Last edited:
several posiblities...

1) clr_cmos; see if that fixes the problem.
2) make sure you have the lastest bios for your mb... as i'm not 100% sure older bios would support ddr3 1600 ram.
3) your ram could be undervolted. bump the ram voltage up a smidge to 1.55V and see what happens (or 1.6V though i wouldn't go higher as intel don't like high voltage on the ram)

lets start with that and see what happens.

The first thing i would ask is could you post the description of the Ram Modules ie. All the information of the box they came in. Also if its 1600 MHZ Ram then its not designed for this motherboard and platform. I will post you this Google search i did on your Mobo as you can see lots of post complaining about Ram not posting problems!! AJ. ;)

1, https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=b...=chrome.0.57.29711j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Please be kind to post your Info and read the above! :shrug:

The first thing i would ask is could you post the description of the Ram Modules ie. All the information of the box they came in. Also if its 1600 MHZ Ram then its not designed for this motherboard and platform. I will post you this Google search i did on your Mobo as you can see lots of post complaining about Ram not posting problems!! AJ. ;)

1, https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=b...=chrome.0.57.29711j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Ram specs are:
1600mhz
9-9-9-24 timing
1.5v
9 CAS latency

Also... from the Biostar website:
"Support 4-DIMM DDR3-2000(OC)/1800(OC)/1600/1333 up to 16G maximum capacity"

Last edited:

yeah. i google searched his mb before i made my previous post, and while later versions claim ddr3 1600 will work natively, it's not ram the original mb would accept (ddr3 1066/1333). I suspect the root of the problem is right there, either he has an older bios, and therefor is not able to use new ddr3 ram... or biostar's claim of compatibility with ddr3 1600 is more a hopeful claim then one based in facts.

My suggestion that the OP downclock his ram to 1333 and see if it will work still stands as a valid solution to the problem.

yeah. i google searched his mb before i made my previous post, and while later versions claim ddr3 1600 will work natively, it's not ram the original mb would accept (ddr3 1066/1333). I suspect the root of the problem is right there, either he has an older bios, and therefor is not able to use new ddr3 ram... or biostar's claim of compatibility with ddr3 1600 is more a hopeful claim then one based in facts.

My suggestion that the OP downclock his ram to 1333 and see if it will work still stands as a valid solution to the problem.

Just updated the bios... will try to dc the ram (at least my cpu wont be overclocked now).

On a side note... I've been considering getting a mobo/cpu package for a while now. The cpu is about 6 yrs old (yikes) and the mobo's about 2 yrs old. I guess I should ask this in the other forum, but any suggestions off the top of your guys' heads (of course ones that would work with the 1600mhz ram i just bought :p )?

Last edited:
CAS# Latency is located in the DRAM Timing Configuration menu. Also list all of the available voltages under the Voltage Control menu. Also post pic's of CPU-Z open to the CPU, Memory, and SPD tabs. And I assume you meant to type T5XE CFX-SLI instead of T5xe gfx-sli?

Last edited:
CAS# Latency is located in the DRAM Timing Configuration menu. Also list all of the available voltages under the Voltage Control menu. Also post pic's of CPU-Z open to the CPU, Memory, and SPD tabs. And I assume you meant to type T5XE CFX-SLI instead of T5xe gfx-sli?

Yup, that's what I meant. Also I can't boot into windows; no way to run cpu-z.

In the timing config menu, I can't find anything that says CAS latency. The closest thing is the DRAM read/write speed. I adjusted those both to 9, and next reboot couldn't even make it to bios before freeze/crashing.

Here's the DRAM timing screen, options for DRAM read/write latency go from 0-32. i tried setting them both to 9 (CAS latency) and it just froze on boot, couldn't get to bios.

tm8Wtsd.jpg

update: I tried setting the frequency to 1280mhz (it was the closest it would allow to 1333mhz), still BSOD and restart.

When I changed DRAM Command Rate to 2T and frequency to 1280mhz, I received this BSOD when windows began to boot:

EuaI8Z9.jpg

Last edited:
CAS# Latency = DRAM tCL. Also make sure to set DRAM Command Rate to 2T, and the rest of the sub-timings on Auto (all but the first four).

Okay, so the CAS latency is set to 9... thats good. I'd like to also mention that I tried booting from a windows CD, and still ran into the same BSOD's.

I've tried the frequency at 960,1280,& 1600mhz.

This is the BSOD for 960mhz and 1600mhz (1280mhz BSOD seen in above post).

d1DS9u1.jpg

Last edited:
Back