• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for help with my failing build in London.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Oh it's booting again intermittently, I flashed the CMOS and it's working again but it failed to boot just now again a few times. It follows the same pattern every few months.

To my way of thinking it is not likely that another system component besides the motherboard could exhibit this pattern of behavior. Besides, there is nothing to do but start replacing components one at a time and it seems logical to me to start with the motherboard. There is no guarantee but I can tell you this is what I would do and I've been building and troubleshooting systems for almost 20 years. It's time for you to move off of dead center. Nothing will get fixed if you don't start taking some action.

To my way of thinking it is not likely that another system component besides the motherboard could exhibit this pattern of behavior. Besides, there is nothing to do but start replacing components one at a time and it seems logical to me to start with the motherboard. There is no guarantee but I can tell you this is what I would do and I've been building and troubleshooting systems for almost 20 years. It's time for you to move off of dead center. Nothing will get fixed if you don't start taking some action.

Ram can do this very easily

I agree with motherboard. Especially after the CMOS cleared up the issue for a bit.

Edit: For what it's worth, there are non-significant number of Google hits for "P9X79 WS not booting".

Ok sound's like a plan I appreciate you guys helping out and I am getting a but negative over this. I've been following peoples test instructions for so long with no joy. I did think that a repair centre as a last resort would be able to hook things like GPUs and CPUs and Motherboards to some kind of testing machine and say what was broken, this was why I was asking about repair places, is this true or is this just in my imagination? Maybe it would still just be cheaper to buy a new board? So any good advice on boards? Someone on one of the forums last time I was going through this suggested the ASUS P9X79 DELUXE saying it was a better fit for my CPU and I don't really need all of the PCIe slots, one or two for GPU's and another for a RAID card and one more of a Video Card, so 4 would be fine. I do need to put 32GB of Ram in as a minimum though and would like to be able to OC my CPU a little as I did so when I first built this and it performed really well compared to the other reports of my CPU knocking about on line.

I cannot say how an individual repair shop would approach the dx of your problem but I tend to think the labor costs involved in do so would make the purchase of a new motherboard to begin with a viable option. I would be skeptical that most PC repair shops would have the components on hand to be able to test your individual components. Many of them probably will not have motherboards or CPUs like that in stock. Besides, historically this has been an intermittent and occasional problem that may not show itself when you take the parts to the "doctor" as it were.

You have our input. Now it is time for you to make a decision.

Last edited:
Yeh the repair shop is not going to cut it. I really have no idea how they go about it or what they would need to test things. I thought all the stuff could be tested with apps from inside the PC or from bootable media until this started to happen to me. I put a post up asking about suitable boards.

Yeah, you may want to go with a different model board just in case there is some compatibility or reliability issue with the one you are using.

Back