• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for help with overclocking.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JMPeach

Registered
Hey guys I'm pretty new here on the forums so I wanted to take a second to introduce myself and show you my build. I also have some questions about overclocking my AMD 965 BE. I realize there are two other threads already actively talking about how to do this, and I am watching those as well. I built my rig a little over a year ago and have been adding bits and pieces to improve it over time. I just recently installed the H220 unit and now that I am no longer working with the stock cooler I wanted to give overclocking a try. My goal for this overclocking expedition is about 3.8-4.0 ghz, with the water cooler I feel like that should be very attainable based on what I have read so far in this forum.

So first, I wanted to clarify the programs I should be downloading. From the other threads I have read so far I have seen that you guys recommend downloading HWMonitor, Prime95, CPU-Z. Are there any other programs I should download or need to know about?

I have monitored my temps using the Asus AI suite that came with the motherboard while playing games, obviously this isn't the best way to do it, so I was wondering if the best way to start overclocking is to run 1-2 hour benchmark with prime95 with everything stock so I can have a better idea of what my system can handle? Is there a specific order I should start the programs in? Obviously prime95 would be the last to start up.

My components:
AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE 3.4 ghz
Swiftech H220 Stock Water Cooler
Asus M5A97 Motherboard
Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 1GB
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600
Samsung SSD 830 Series 128gb
WD Blue 500gb Hard Drive 7200rpm
SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W 80 Plus Bronze Certified
Corsair C70 Military Green Case

photo.JPG

photo(1).JPG

Above are two pictures of my current set up. My One other question for the moment is about cooling the case. At the moment the only fan I have set to exhaust is the back fan. The H220 unit is set up in push configuration so it is pushing air into the case, I also have two fans in the front of the case pushing air into the case. So I guess my question would be is the one fan in the back going to be enough for the exhaust or should I try setting the h220 up in pull configuration? Sorry for the lonnng post just wanted to give as much information as possible :blah:

Thanks in advance for any and all help with any of these questions.

Last edited:
The three programs you have downloaded and installed are all you need. Running a 20 minute Prime95 blend test will be sufficient to drive temps to within about 2c of the max they will attain if you ran for many hours. So 20 minutes is sufficient to test temps. Have HWMonitor open when you run Prime95. Post back with an attached pic of HWMonitor when you are done. We are concerned with two temps: "Core" temp and CPU socket temp which shows up in HWMonitor either as "CPUTIN" or one of the TMPINx lines generically. If the latter, then we have to figure out which one.

welcome to the ocf forum JMpeach, that is a well matched combo you have chosen, big congrats.
I also have the 965 on the m5a97 and 3.8 is the better 24/7 working clock and 4.0 is a breeze so MR. Trents will have you there in very good shape.

(sorry johan45)

Last edited:
First off :welcome: to the forum JMPeach,
Seems that some are too busy these days for formalities :rofl:

As to you fannage I would suggest that you switch the rad around to blow air out of the case. With it blowing down and the fronts blowing in doesn't create the best airflow. With the rad at the top blowing out as well as the rear blow ing out it creates a better flow. If the rad needs more air it looks like you side dor is vented so it'll pull air in on it's own.

JMpeach, that is a well matched combo you have chosen, big congrats.
I also have the 965 on the m5a97 and 3.8 is the better 24/7 working clock and 4.0 is a breeze so MR. Trents will have you there in very good shape.

I was gonna say the smae thing his is like my HTPC only I have the 99fxpro.

I agree with Johan45 about turning your water radiator fans to exhaust warm air out of the case. I think that will give you more balanced cooling when you consider the need for motherboard components and drives to also run cool. As you have it now, you are reintroducing the warmed air coming off the radiator into the case and only have one fan to exhaust that.

Thanks for the advise guys, I am running the prime95 test right now, I will post back when I have the screenshot of HWMonitor. As far as changing out the orientation of the H220 do you think it would be okay to just flip the fans instead of the radiator itself? i wanna have the fill port faced up as I plan on making a cut in my case for easier access.

Ya that'll work I see you have the fans on top already, that's good. Just flip themm to pull air through the rad

Ok so a few quick things, Right before running the test I got an update from AI suite that my 12v was geting 0 volts, HWMonitor disagreed at the time. Also while running the prime95 test. I got a update from AI suite saying my mobo had jumped from 30c to 99c, This was about two min before the test was over, and then about a second later it went back down to 30c. I'm assuming that this was an error as HWMonitor didn't show any temps anywhere near that temp and my computer didn't show any signs of crashing or slowing down.

benchmark.png

Keep in mind that this is with the less than stellar ventilation at the moment.

Your temps look good. Take my word for it and uninstall AI suite.

So aside from fixing the fans on my H220, would the next step be to head into the bios and change the multiplier from 17 to 19? I got this information from another thread but just want to confirm it here, source below.

Just up the multiplier in BIOS from 17 to 19, with all voltages at stock, then run a stability test like Prime95 for a bit.

Quick and easy 3.8 GHz OC from 3.4 ;)

That would be a good starting point. If it isn't stable under P95, then it needs voltage.

Should I be turning off any motherboard utilities like cool n quite, C1E, or SVM yet?

I keep all of those off at all times, whether OC'd or not.

Unless I'm mistaken, there's a sticky in this section that's a quick OC guide. It'll tell you what to turn on/off.

Edit: Found it.

Yes, disable Cool N Quiet and C1E. You could start the overclock using the multiplier, which is the simplest way, but the best overclocks are generally achieved using a combination of the FSB and the multiplier. If you use the FSB you would need to lower the HT Link and the memory frequency to start with as these two (and the CPUNB frequency) are tied to the FSB and need some headroom at the front end in order to avoid instability. The CPUNB will tolerate a good amount of overclocking so it may not be necessary to lower it at the outset. Just give it (the CPUNB) a voltage bump to about 1.225. Start your HT Link at 8x and your ram at 1333.

I just finished getting all my settings in the bios saved and set my multiplier to 19.0, I am now sitting at 3.8 ghz and running prime95, should I only do it for 20 mins, or longer this time? depending on how it runs and the temps I may go back and start with the FSB like you suggested Trents, I saw your post after the fact.

2Hrs of P95 is what we typically call "stable".

For your final settings I would run at least 4Hrs though, just to make sure.

:popcorn: 35 min in and so far so good. I did notice my idle temps went up a good amount to 30c, but so far my load temps are only 4 degrees more than they were at 3.4ghz, right now they are sitting a 45c.

Back