• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for help with overclocking.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok good, well I decided to bump it up another notch to 1.43125 for the cpu vcore, I have the multiplier set to 19 still and the CPU is at 3.8ghz. Running prime95 HWMonitor shows the vcore at 1.392-1.40. Temps are the in the 42-43c range.

My only question is should I not go above 1.45 in the bios or in what HWMoinitor shows me, because I have it set to 1.43125 in the bios, but its shows me that is only getting 1.392-1.40 during load?

(Edit) just as an update, I have had prime95 running for an hour now, no failures so far, temps are at 43c

Last edited:
cpu-z.png

benchmark.png

Just finished a two hour Prime95 benchmark with the multiplier set to 19, for 3.8 ghz and the CPU voltage set to 1.431250. Everything appears to be stable again and temps are still fine.

Now that I have the system at a stable 3.8 ghz how should I go about moving forward?

Sorry for all the questions, don't mind the newb :facepalm:

Bump the frequency multiplier up, probably to 4.0GHz, and retest :)

Continue until voltage increases are extraordinary or you hit a thermal limit.

My only question is should I not go above 1.45 in the bios or in what HWMoinitor shows me, because I have it set to 1.43125 in the bios, but its shows me that is only getting 1.392-1.40 during load?

Can anyone answer this for me?

I'm now at 4.0 ghz at 1.431250 two of my CPU cores where dropped almost instantly, but again no blue screens of death. Went back into the bios and bumped the Vcore up to 1.437500, going to run another test.

I'm not 100% on where the limit should be, someone else will have to answer that.

Also, what Vcore does it show at idle?

So I went to 4.0 ghz by setting the multiplier to 20, then increased my Vcore to 1.437500. I ran a test in prime95 and immediately two cores where dropped but no blue screen of death. I then went back into the bios and upped the voltage for the Vcore again to 1.443750 this time getting a blue screen of death.:bang head any suggestions on what I should do next or how I should go about trouble shooting the issue.

ATMINSIDE at the time i was running 3.8 ghz with the Vcore set to 1.431250. HWMonitor was reporting my idle voltage at 1.428 and my load voltage at 1.392-1.40.

You should up your LLC then, to get some more voltage under load.

Right now my CPU load line calibration is set to auto, there is also a CPU/NB load line calibration below it set to auto. The only options i get are Auto, Enabled, and Disabled. Should I just enable the CPU one and leave the other to auto?

So I just set all my setting back to what I had when I was last stable at 3.8ghz.

Last edited:
I'll have to let someone more familiar with your motherboard help now, glad you got to 3.8 so easily though!

Anyone with any suggestions your advise would be really appreciated!

Okay so I created a sig for the OCF, again any advice on how I should continue with my overclock would be greatly appreciated, so far all I have done is set the multiplier to 19, and set the CPU Vcore from auto, to 1.431250. With this set up I was able to achieve a stable 3.8 ghz overclock using prime95 for two hours. My goal again is at least 4.0 ghz stable, and so far my temps are def not an issue from what i have shown so far in this thread.

Again thanks in advance for any help you can give

Edit: For those who don't wanna look through the thread to find my most recent stats.

cpu-z.png

memory.png

benchmark.png

Last edited:

This is exactly what you will face with that M5A97 motherboard.

The problem is the board is entry level type and if you have done much searching on CPU_LLC for the M5A97 boards you will see they only have LLC Auto, Disable or Enable. Most users of the board say the more expensive boards have more options for the CPU_LLC and that is correct.

So you are going to have to test your board since the LLC circuit and cpu requirements are different for every configuration.

I would probably Disable CPU_LLC and then raise the voltage to the cpu until it quits the core failures or the Temps surpass 70c Cpu and 60c on the package/core temps. When you disable CPU_LLC the voltage to the cpu will sag big time under load. So you will have to keep upping the cpu voltage until the cores don't drop out. Then the Max Vcore listed will be about the voltage the cpu has to have to pass P95 Blend. So you can test and balance the set Vcore to the amount actually supplied when CPU_LLC is enabled. It is a test/tune and balancing act for each board and cpu. Nothing for it but you to test it at your end.

Some boards do it better and easier than others, but it is never pretty getting there.
RGone....

The problem is the board is entry level type and if you have done much searching on CPU_LLC for the M5A97 boards you will see they only have LLC Auto, Disable or Enable. Most users of the board say the more expensive boards have more options for the CPU_LLC and that is correct.

So you are going to have to test your board since the LLC circuit and cpu requirements are different for every configuration.

I would probably Disable CPU_LLC and then raise the voltage to the cpu until it quits the core failures or the Temps surpass 70c Cpu and 60c on the package/core temps. When you disable CPU_LLC the voltage to the cpu will sag big time under load. So you will have to keep upping the cpu voltage until the cores don't drop out. Then the Max Vcore listed will be about the voltage the cpu has to have to pass P95 Blend. So you can test and balance the set Vcore to the amount actually supplied when CPU_LLC is enabled. It is a test/tune and balancing act for each board and cpu. Nothing for it but you to test it at your end.

Some boards do it better and easier than others, but it is never pretty getting there.
RGone....
That's not even the same cpu and its known the FX chips are harder on these boards. Plus that guy with the 8120 was running air and this guy posting here is running water, the problems are dissimilar.

The resolution to your problem is up in the air. We can certainly offer suggestions. Remember with your water cooling setup your can ramp up your core voltage more aggressively than with air. You can do well past 1.5 volts, if needed, just keep an eye on temps under load. And sometimes, it's just luck of the silicon lottery, my 965 had trouble past 3.8 and needed a hefty jolt of vcore to get up to 4.0. Heck some people get 4.5 out of that CPU with the same board. So the potential is there, just may take some time to get it all dialed in.

Vdroop and LLC have nothing to do with what cooling you have. Its about how good the power section of the motherboard are.

I would do what RGone said for sure.

Vdroop and LLC have nothing to do with what cooling you have. Its about how good the power section of the motherboard are.

I would do what RGone said for sure.

:thup:

I would also suggest raising the CPU_NB to 2400 or so. With the 1600 ram and the higher clocks it'll help with stability and performance.

:thup:

I would also suggest raising the CPU_NB to 2400 or so. With the 1600 ram and the higher clocks it'll help with stability and performance.

RGone....

Thanks for the information guys Ill def give both ideas a try, should I turn the LLC off and then run a benchmark before changing anything else like my multiplier back to 20, or the CPU_NB to 2400? If I do adjust the CPU_NB should I be adjustng anything else or any other sets of voltages other than the CPU in bios? Thanks again for the help.

Also StormChaser you are correct about the FX series CPUS on this board, I have read that in multiple places and that is one of the main reasons I don't currently have an FX processor in this build.

Also can any of you guys answer this question I'm still unclear about, RGONE you kind of alluded to it in your post. So when I'm setting the CPU Vcore in my bios, I'm about two or three bumps from being at 1.5 volts. Now since the vdroop and LLC on this board drop my actual voltage to lower than what it is set to in the bios, can I go above 1.5 volts in the bios to compensate for the under voltage actually being given to the CPU? I hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
If you diable the LLC you'll need to re-adjust the voltage to get it stable again. When you disable the LLC you'll get a drop in voltage under load. you already know what voltage it takes to be stable. Now you'll have to compensate you won't want it to drop below say 1.43 under load.

Last edited:
That's what we refer to as Vdroop, and it is normal.

Trents, what's the highest you want to take Vcore on the 965, 1.45V?

Everybody's got a different opinion on that, a different voltage envelope they are willing or not willing to push open a little further. My limits for 24/7 use are around 1.5 idle and 1.55 full load.

I still have not turned LLC off, I did how ever bump the CPU_NB to 2400, running prime95 now, so far everything seems stable :chair:

Edit: Here are the stats from my half hour prime95 run 3.8ghz 1.431250 vcore and CPU_NB set from auto to 2400.

cpu-z.cpu_nb.png

benchmarkcpu_nb.png

Temps went up a few degrees but nothing major.

Last edited:
Back