• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for mechanical keyboard suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmh547

I am looking at getting a mechanical keyboard for gaming. I am currently using an MS Natural but as I now game from the couch it is just to bulky. The primary use will be FPS, i use a wireless kb/mouse for the web. I am looking for something that is relatively quiet, compact (tenless), and <-$100. For switches I am not sure what to get, what i do know is I cannot stand the sound of the MX blue. I am leaning towards Browns or Reds but have no hands on experience with either.

A couple choices i have come up with are
Corsair K65 (mx reds only) $90
CM Quickfire Rapid (mx brown and reds) $85

What do you guys think?

Reds for non-bumpy linearity :D Silky smooth.

Reds, browns, and blues are generally the most purchased. I would suggest reading up on each switch to see if you think one would suit you best.

Well I ran out to best buy to get a feel for what they have.

The only "MX" they have is the K65 RGB which has reds... right now I am thinking reds are too light for me, with my sausage fingers I would be knifing team mates when i am trying to strife right. If memory serves, i think the brown and red have the same force requirements. Do you think the tactile feel of the brown would help with miss hits or do i need to look for mx blacks?

I was using K90 for 2 years and I'm currently using K95 for a year and I'm completely satisfied, but the "bottom line" kb they produced are a bit uncared for. Cherry Reds are great for FPS. I played BF4 on my bros Black Widow(Cherry Blues) and it's just not as smooth and responsive as my K95. Always talking about FPS and my bro admitted the same. Bottom line, if you don't mind that the K65's numpad is not mechanical then stick with it otherwise stick with CM storm. I really love both of them, had the chance to work them both and they are pretty nice kbs.

Im partial to mx blacks myself. If you're ham fisted like me, that may be a good route.

I almost bit on a Razer with their own proprietary keys that are supposed to mimic brown, for $49 on sale a couple of months ago. I ultimately didn't because: Razer. But I do remember the tactile feel of a mechanical from when I was a kid and if it made that much of an impression it must be something somewhat special.

Problem is, it isn't $100+ kind of special unless you type for a living, in my wallets opinion.

I continue to hold out hope I will find one in the pile at Goodwill, someday. It does happen. And the Microcenter mechanicals used to be an acceptable price of $50 until everyone drove the price up. That's a shame.

Very nice Atminside. After reading that I think i would be happy with a brown or black.

The cooler master quickfire is still on the table. I am also looking at the Ducky specifically the 2087s and the mini, who do you buy these through in the US? They have four companies listed (Newegg, tigerimports, mechanicalkeyboards, and microcenter) all of which are sold out with the exception of a couple high dollar options. I am willing to go up to $130, is there any other brands you would recommend?

Well after watching dozens of reviews for a bunch of different keyboards I just ordered the Ducky mini with mx browns. They are on backorder but should be available to ship by the end of the week.

Ducky is extremely well regarded as far as quality goes. I don't think you will be disappointed :)

They were on back order last night when i placed my order and supposed to arrive in Jan... I looked today and they are in stock so I began camping by the front door like a three yearold waiting for Santa

I use a ducky shine at work, I've been quite pleased with it. Its survived my... "abusive" nature :C

Guess what came!

My first impression was that this is a tank of a keyboard. For its size it is surprisingly heavy and is obviously well built. The backlighting is nice and bright however I am not sure if I am going to leave leave it on or not.

The brown switches are still a bit light (for me) and it will take a bit of getting used to. I found my self accidentally holding down keys that I was not intending to.

Overall I am very happy with my purchase.

Attachments

• 1420231324606.jpg
    1420231324606.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 30
  • 1420231560612.jpg
    1420231560612.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 31
Back