• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for new CPU/Case fans...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

anthony279

Wixfu2p.jpg

As you can see in the pic the case fans are the Fractal Design Silent Series R2 and the CPU is the original fan. The Case fans which are quite to me but they offer nothing in terms of airflow. On to the CPU fan, That fan is loud! anything above 53% is just to loud. It seems there is more air blowing out the top and bottom were the fan meets the heat sink than threw it. I tried putting tape where the air was coming out but it didn't make enough of a difference to leave on. All in all I'm looking for a 140mm for the exhaust, 140mm for the front intake and I would like to put a 120mm next to the PSU as a intake(140mm will not fit.) The fan that blows on the HDD wondering if it necessary? The CPU cooler, I'm wondering if I should Replace the fan or get a new CPU cooler?

If you want a quieter (and better) CPU cooler, get an NH-D14.

As for fans, Cougar makes some nice 140mm ones, and the Corsair AF140 is pretty nice also.

If you want a quieter (and better) CPU cooler, get an NH-D14.

As for fans, Cougar makes some nice 140mm ones, and the Corsair AF140 is pretty nice also.

Thanks! I will check to see what Cougar and corsair have to offer but on the NH-D14 on the Compatibility chart it doesn't fit with my RAM.

You could also look into the Phanteks PH-TC12DX, its a solid cooler.

You could also look into the Phanteks PH-TC12DX, its a solid cooler.

The Phanteks PH-TC12DX looks like the best option, Thanks for the recommendation.
As for the case fans it going to be between the Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition or COUGAR CF-V14HB Vortex. I will look into that later when i got some time. Thanks!

I like both of them, I have three of the AF140s (came with my Air 540), and I have two of the V14H (just orange instead of black) and they are both solid performers.

Either remove the RAM heatsinks or get new RAM. Use low profile RAM and you can get your D14. It is the quietest of the big tower heatsinks.

The Nexus Real Silent Basic Series is quiet, and moves some air. Or get an 800 rpm Scythe Slip Stream or the follow-on fan. For 140mm's the Yate Loon lowspeed is good. Best for moderate money are the TR TY 140-147 Lots of nice fans. Just do your homework and don't overbuy.

Either remove the RAM heatsinks or get new RAM. Use low profile RAM and you can get your D14. It is the quietest of the big tower heatsinks.

The Nexus Real Silent Basic Series is quiet, and moves some air. Or get an 800 rpm Scythe Slip Stream or the follow-on fan. For 140mm's the Yate Loon lowspeed is good. Best for moderate money are the TR TY 140-147 Lots of nice fans. Just do your homework and don't overbuy.

Thanks for the recommendations, I found a Corsair AF120 Performance Edition for cheap so I just grabbed that for the bottom intake. I'm looking to replace the motherboard and just about everything else here soon and get some kind of theme going so I don't want to get to far ahead of myself..

I've seen AP-15s or the Noctua fans as replacements on those CPU coolers like the cooler master 212 and the like. I would also like to add Noiseblockers Eloop B12s to the mix as well. They all aren't cheap at all. They are some of the best radiator fans in the market for custom water cooling. I would see why some use it on CPU air coolers like the 212s.

A good way to make any CASE FAN quiet is to change the rail it runs on.

DONT DO THIS FOR THE PSU FAN, GPU FAN or CPU FAN

Most larger case fans [120mm, 140mm, 200mm etc] move more than enough air on even the lowest speeds. The issue was only with the smaller fans that needed higher RPM to make up for their lack of size.

Hopefully your fans have a MOLEX connector, or you have an adaptor. Simply pull the 12v+ pins out of the connecter on the FAN SIDE, then remove the 5v+ rail wires from the same connector. re-connect the 12v+ rail wires into the 5v+ rail. the fan will now run at just under half load. making them silent but still move plenty of air.

As a reference, YELLOW + BLACK are normally 12v+ rails, the RED + BLACK are normally the 5v+ rails. Keep in mind that anything you now plug into that adaptor will run at only 5v+, not good for a hard drive or Optical Device.

If you want to keep your warranty, make sure that the fan supports running at 5v. most fans can run as slow as 3v, however some of the larger 230mm+ fans have trouble with this mod as the 5v+ rail doesn't have enough amps to turn the blades.

Or, you could wire up a SPDT switch to provide 12v or 5v at a flick
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/10pc...C-Mini-Switches-Free-Shipping/1782777386.html

a word of warning: never, slowly gently "easy" the switch from on to on... esspecially on the cheap ones... at some point there can be a limbo or shortened state, which your PSU doesn't like very much

Or, you can re-wire a sata-to-molex convertor cable to always provide 5v (or 7v if you're daring)
http://www.oempcworld.com/OEMPCworld-com/024482.html

a word of warning: if you do this, make sure to always label it very clearly and store it in a very clearly labeled baggie. Otherwise, if you just dump it in your drawer with all the other bits & bobs & screw & blanking plates & junk... one day you just gonna grab it without paying attention and use it on a device (like a BD-ROM) that doesn't like being presented with 5v where it expects 12v and it'll take you hours to find out why :bang head

Thanks for the reply's! I got the Corsair AF120, I tried it next to the PSU it dropped my GPU temp down a few degrees but wasn't worth the noise it added. I took out the back exhaust fan and put the corsair in there and air flow is great now and it seems the fractal fan just wasn't getting the hot air out fast enough causing air to stay in the case keeping everything warmer than it should be. I can run the case fans at 5v now and be near silent. The really only thing I can hear is a humm from the HDD. I have it shut off after 5 min of inactivity so its ok for now, Some softer rubber feet on the case would fix that. When CPU fan goes above 47%(1000 rpm) it is audible enough to hear it. So i will be looking for a new fan for that.

Back