• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to update/upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've always ran amd up until my new skylake htpc I built last month. I do wish they were a bit more competitive right now, maybe Zen will bring that back. Looks like I may go with another skylake right now though.

Even if a i5-6600k build is cheaper than both of those?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XhnXsJ

Didn't expect you would go with such a low-end motherboard. Since you were looking at the Z170 Pro earlier I assumed you were looking for a board of better quality around the Z170 Pro's price.

Option 4 would be wait until Zen's release, but it sounds like you're already having issues with the performance of your PC. And Zen probably won't be released until somewhere between October of this year and possibly February of next year. So, doubt you'd want to wait that long.

Frankly, I'm eager to see what they come up with myself since Bulldozer, Piledriver, and Vishera haven't really performed up to their hype.

i5-6600k is a good choice why buy older technology.
Because it's compatible with the memory he has now if he chooses to reuse his current memory.

Thought that might be a cost-saving option, since the poster of the thread did mention they were concerned about their budget constraints.

Last edited:
Didn't expect you would go with such a low-end motherboard. Since you were looking at the Z170 Pro earlier I assumed you were looking for a board of better quality around the Z170 Pro's price.

Option 4 would be wait until Zen's release, but it sounds like you're already having issues with the performance of your PC. And Zen probably won't be released until somewhere between October of this year and possibly February of next year. So, doubt you'd want to wait that long.

Frankly, I'm eager to see what they come up with myself since Bulldozer, Piledriver, and Vishera haven't really performed up to their hype.

Because it's compatible with the memory he has now if he chooses to reuse his current memory.

Thought that might be a cost-saving option, since the poster of the thread did mention they were concerned about their budget constraints.

Even using the z170 Pro, the price is between the two. I'm not trying to argue the case of one over the other, I just want to make sure if I'm spending $400 I'm getting the best parts.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/VwmsTW

I'm thinking a new cpu/mobo/ram setup while using the rest of my current setup will get me the best results right now. I just don't want to buy something that I'm going to have to replace in another year.

. I just don't want to buy something that I'm going to have to replace in another year.

Have you considered expanding the budget a bit and building X99 5820K ? If you were to dedicate this one to more video/photo the X99 will excel with the extra cores and use the htpc for gaming. The x99 will game as well no worries but that's not really it's strong point.

Back