• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Loop Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
For good budget fans Yate Loons are good and Helix too ask jack

Well, thing is, I absolutely want something that is PWM. AFAIK that rules out Yate Loon.

Definitely have considered the Helix PWM though, they look good.

The glide stream looks like a rebranded slipstream, which is a low static pressure fan. You can also eyeball the static pressure a fan will create by how much light you can see through it. Less light generally means more static pressure (rule of thumb, no one go nuts with this like people have with the 120.2 per block rule of thumb).

(rule of thumb, no one go nuts with this like people have with the 120.2 per block rule of thumb).

:facepalm:

It's worked for so long. Sorry I won't force people to sit there their first time freak out and get frustrated getting exactly the numbers you want to see. My personal advice to people is 120.1 high FPI or 120.2 for low FPI. If you disagree than so be it. I won't argue or get in a fight with you about it. But you've been making statements about this rule and has gotten a bit out of hand. I get with what you're saying but not everyone has the math you have to break it down and get exactly the heat surface needed. That's like telling people you do the math on the static pressure of a fan or pump head pressure of a pump with out specs from the manufacturer. Tests are done by people like skinnee and martin. We than get an idea of how much a standard 120.3 can handle for example. I been using this rule with Con, ED and many others for the past few years and worked great. To be honest if I recall correctly the "rule of thumb" saying from them when I first started. The end result spoke for itself. Don't take this personal but the last few weeks you've been in an all assault on that saying. It bothers me when I give advice to others only to have you say you're wrong. Than I will put a hold on my assistance to others if I am giving the wrong advise.

Sorry ATM for going off topic. Please forgive me.

Last edited:
:facepalm:

It's worked for so long. Sorry I won't force people to sit there their first time freak out and get frustrated getting exactly the numbers you want to see. My personal advice to people is 120.1 high FPI or 120.2 for low FPI. If you disagree than so be it. I won't argue or get in a fight with you about it. But you've been making statements about this rule and has gotten a bit out of hand. I get with what you're saying but not everyone has the math you have to break it down and get exactly the heat surface needed. That's like telling people you do the math on the static pressure of a fan or pump head pressure of a pump with out specs from the manufacturer. Tests are done by people like skinnee and martin. We than get an idea of how much a standard 120.3 can handle for example. I been using this rule with Con, ED and many others for the past few years and worked great. To be honest if I recall correctly the "rule of thumb" saying from them when I first started. The end result spoke for itself. Don't take this personal but the last few weeks you've been in an all assault on that saying. It bothers me when I give advice to others only to have you say you're wrong. Than I will put a hold on my assistance to others if I am giving the wrong advise.

Sorry ATM for going off topic. Please forgive me.

Continuing the OT, since OP is an OG. :ty: (Sorry bout that, it won't happen again)

I don't have an issue with it as a rule of thumb. It's great if you're trying to eyeball a build and figure out what's possible, etc. I don't think the "rule" has been around as long as you think it has, because I'm relatively certain that Con (who was basically doing this solo) wasn't using it when I got started posting heavily. I've mentioned before (I believe), that I THINK I may have been the first one to mention something like the "rule". Since it may trace back to me, I feel responsible if someone's build turns out badly because of the "rule". Seeing it become so prevalent has made me want to limit its use, because it's really not the end-all-be-all that I see it being treated as by some posters.

Where I take issue with it is when it's used entirely in place of doing the math. I don't know what current status is on forums, but when I was super-active (my ppd avg topped at ~25 I think), there were basically 4 places to go to talk about WC in english: XS, OCN, OCF, and OCAU. Everything else was country specific or crappy (like Anand and HardOCP forums...not sure if they're still that way). I always thought that we were the best place to come for beginners to get into WC. XS was too full, and had too many braniacs, it was just overwhelming for the new guys. They also would practically riot whenever anything broke, which was good for stuff like EK's nickel plating, but not so good when someone got a bum D5. OCN was full of morons who advocated using dyes, and who couldn't figure out the math behind WC. OCAU had good people, but they weren't good at explaining stuff and they were small, so the collective knowledge was lacking. We managed to take the best of everything, imo. We didn't have the problem of being overcrowded and subject to whim like XS, we understood the science of wc better than OCN, and we had enough traffic and community knowledge that we were better than OCAU. My concern with throwing the "rule" around is that it moves us a step away from the scientific side of things, and a step towards being OCN. My goal is always to help people understand what they are doing, not just to help them do it (I think of it as teaching a man to fish), and I see the "rule" as counteractive to that goal.

I never intend to offend, I try to be polite and matter-of-fact about everything. I apologize for having offended you and assure you it was not my intent. I'm a relatively jovial person when it comes , and I like to make jokes about things that have been relevant to the community recently (probably a product of my long-time love of the likes of Steven Colbert), so naturally I find it funny to joke about the ongoing debate about the "rule". The goal of these jokes is always to lower the tension about the issue, so hopefully this hasn't been what's offending you, as that would mean that not only am I not funny, but I'm also being counterproductive!

With that poor attempt at humor, I will end my wall of text.

Edit: Just so you know, I'd sooner leave or stop posting than cause someone else to leave or stop posting, so if it's absolutely crucial to you, I'll just be on my way, no hard feelings or anything.

The issue is that most just want to be told what to buy and after they are done you never see them again unless they have issues
I for one enjoy doing this so anytime someone posts a link or some info that I dont know I check it out
My "rule" is 120x4 or 140x3 per chip if overclocking:rofl:

I just got a bit annoyed and thought that was directed towards me when in general you were just messing with the whole "rule". Like I said I get with what you're saying. Con has gone both ways. Used the rule or made the guy do the math. Maybe you did start it. Well than its your fault! lol

You do have a point with those forums. At OCN, you have people see a watercooling image and go spend thousands. A lot of things I would mainly disagree with with the way they do things there. Its too busy there and too much going on so you can't catch or help it all. Its like kids in a candy store without a parent in the building. Someones going to get hurt in other words.

No hard feelings here as I'll just leave the rule out from now on and get folks to do the math. Anyways, I'll change my ways. Again, I am not mad at you.

Before I end this, I'd like to cause attention to the water cooling stickies. Not picking at you but since you know all the editors etc, if someone can remake the stickies. There's things everywhere it feels like with a good amount of old info etc. Would love to see you bring some attention to it to the others from all the things we've learned over the years and to simplify the terms, in laymen terms if you will, for those to better understand. I even remembered I had trouble with it at times years ago when I first started. A simple thread with links to the stores is all it needs. Can't wait for that Skinnee calculator.

I use those Swiftech 8-way PWM controllers as well. They're pretty cool. Plug the PWM into the mobo and the 4 pin to a molex on your PSU. I use two of them, one for my four side fans, and other for my six fans for my push pull.

I use those Swiftech 8-way PWM controllers as well. They're pretty cool. Plug the PWM into the mobo and the 4 pin to a molex on your PSU. I use two of them, one for my four side fans, and other for my six fans for my push pull.

Glad to hear they do well!

I just got a bit annoyed and thought that was directed towards me when in general you were just messing with the whole "rule". Like I said I get with what you're saying. Con has gone both ways. Used the rule or made the guy do the math. Maybe you did start it. Well than its your fault! lol

You do have a point with those forums. At OCN, you have people see a watercooling image and go spend thousands. A lot of things I would mainly disagree with with the way they do things there. Its too busy there and too much going on so you can't catch or help it all. Its like kids in a candy store without a parent in the building. Someones going to get hurt in other words.

No hard feelings here as I'll just leave the rule out from now on and get folks to do the math. Anyways, I'll change my ways. Again, I am not mad at you.

Before I end this, I'd like to cause attention to the water cooling stickies. Not picking at you but since you know all the editors etc, if someone can remake the stickies. There's things everywhere it feels like with a good amount of old info etc. Would love to see you bring some attention to it to the others from all the things we've learned over the years and to simplify the terms, in laymen terms if you will, for those to better understand. I even remembered I had trouble with it at times years ago when I first started. A simple thread with links to the stores is all it needs. Can't wait for that Skinnee calculator.

Again, I apologize for any offense you took and assure you that it was not intended...frankly I hold you in rather high regard, you're way on top of your stuff and are just the kind of person this board needs to keep around.

re Stickies: If you were to write a good guide, you could probably get it sticky'd. I haven't been anywhere but cooling, but I haven't seen hokie around, so I doubt there's any thought of maintenance on the current sticky. When I started coming around, there was a different sticky, and I was actually beginning a replacement when hokie published his (he was kinda...strict...so I knew he wouldn't change his out, certainly not so soon). At this point, it's kinda long in the tooth, and I always thought that it was a bit misguided in terms of coverage. I don't really know who the active mod for this board is (if there isn't one, vote m0r7if3r - 2014), but I can definitely see what I can do about getting some eyes over here.

Hokie is still around, he's just busy with family things.

A new (good) sticky wouldn't be a bad idea at all. A lot of things have changed since Hokie/Conumdrum/others did some of the bigger in-depth guides.

Yeah, I'd looked at those myself just for rearranging a few thing and just have never done it.

They look like a pretty nice setup.

It should make it pretty easy for setups with few (or just one) PWM headers.

The one in my primo lets me adjust fan speed via a pwm connection just like the one you posted

Yeah, it is made to run 3-pin fans off a PWM signal. This simply splits a PWM signal and is made for 4-pin fans.

Back