• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Low profile ram for 8700k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Demoncho

Hi,

I’m thinking in make an ITX build with 8700k (OC) and Z370 (Asrock) as chipset but I’m a bit lost because I need low profile ram. I'm looking for 32Gb (2x16Gb).

I see Corsair Vengeance LPX, Ballistix Sport LT and Ballistix Elite (without the heatsink).

I don’t know more good options, and which have the best ratio between money and performance.

Thanks!

What cooler will you use ? Just asking because most coolers have no problems with tall memory modules.
There are no low profile DDR4. There are only standard height ( or not much above standard ) and all these with large heatsinks. From close to standard there are mentioned by you Ballistix Sport, Corsair Vengeance, Team Vulcan, Team Elite /Plus, Patriot Viper 4 ( if you remove top of the heatsink), GSkill Aegis ( no heatsinks), Geil EVO Spear, HyperX Fury ( maybe 1mm taller ), Patriot Signature Line ... really, not so big choice, I thought there are more series but some were already replaced.

Sorry I'm wrong with the low profile, I need one with small heatsinks that can fit the Noctua NH-L12S in the Lazer3D LZ7.

In this review the Corsair Vengeance fit without any margin.

Thanks for the answer and the options

https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/HX421C14FB2K2_16.pdf something like this has 34mm and should fit (there are 2x16GB kits too), also is compatible with everything, Ballistix Sport LT/AT are good too, not the best specs but are not expensive and work on all motherboards.
I thought you can install the fan on top and then it would be much easier with memory. I was testing this cooler on Ryzen some time ago but I don't remember what memory I was using (have nothing about it in history of my tests). On the other hand, I don't believe you will overclock i7 in this case and on this cooler much above stock.
Right now I'm testing Cryorig C7 Cu with i7 in Kolink Rocket and so far all works fine but is not quiet under longer full load.

https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/HX421C14FB2K2_16.pdf something like this has 34mm and should fit (there are 2x16GB kits too), also is compatible with everything, Ballistix Sport LT/AT are good too, not the best specs but are not expensive and work on all motherboards.
I thought you can install the fan on top and then it would be much easier with memory. I was testing this cooler on Ryzen some time ago but I don't remember what memory I was using (have nothing about it in history of my tests). On the other hand, I don't believe you will overclock i7 in this case and on this cooler much above stock.
Right now I'm testing Cryorig C7 Cu with i7 in Kolink Rocket and so far all works fine but is not quiet under longer full load.

I try to replicate this build (probably with a second hand 1060/1070 for now)
I need something small but with high single core speed (mainly for after effects).

I check prices and this three are more or less the best prices I found.

Ballistix Sport LT 32GB DDR4 2666MHz
G.Skill Aegis 32GB DDR4 3000MHz
Patriot Memory Viper 4 32GB DDR4 3200MHz

I only have experience with Crucial RAM and maybe worth to try one of the others for the extra performance.

I'm completing ITX build right now:
- 8086K@stock runs up to 4.3GHz on all cores and boosts up to 5GHz on single core
- MSI Z370I Carbon Gaming, not so expensive and supports high memory frequency
- 2x8GB TridentZ RGB DDR4-4266@4500 20-20-20 1.40V (runs like that for 2 days now)
- Kolink Rocket ITX case
- Cryorig C7 Cu cooler ... Noctua generates less noise
- Corsair SF450/450W SFX PSU
In plans is to add EVGA GTX1060 ITX 6GB which I have in other PC (maybe today or tomorrow) but have to replace cases as GTX1080 which I wanted to install there is too big. Just to let you know, EVGA 1060 ITX is really loud at stock settings, have to set manual fan speed at ~33% to make it quiet and set max temp to ~82°C so it won't throttle below stock clocks.

New Crucial Sport LT/AT is based on Micron IC which runs pretty good, up to DDR4-3600/3733 but at more relaxed timings like 20-24-24.
Patriot Viper 4 should run fine but keep in mind it was designed for X99 and 100 series motherboards. Can be on Samsung or Hynix. I don't think there are Micron based Patriot kits from Viper 4 series but I can be wrong.
I have no idea on what IC is G.Skill Aegis now so won't tell you how well it's overclocking.
Mentioned HyperX Fury is Micron so the same as Ballistix and will OC about the same.

I'll buy those Crucials.

Thanks for the advice on the build too, and with the EVGA 1060 (probably the one I'll buy).

Back