• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

lower timings or higher frequency?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fr0zn

Hello everyone, I'm new around and just finishing my very first overclock on an Intel platform after years of having AMD, achieved 4.83 GHz on an i3-8350k at 1.28V, now I'm wondering about memory OC, if I should do it (if it's worth) and how, I know the basics because some of my previous platforms, FX in particular, involved some memory tweaking because of the multi + FSB overclock, but I don't know how this works on Intel, my rig has a single Corsair stick running at 2666MHz 19-19-19-44 (CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS). I use my computer mainly for gaming (Battlefield 1, Fallout 4) and some 3D rendering, photo and video editing and some 7z compressing, considering that, should I try to lower those timings that seem pretty high or just increasing frequency and overvolting will improve performance? On a side note the stick lacks any type of heatsink, it's just an standard model, but there's an empty space on my case to fit a 140mm fan that would remove the heat coming from the memory, I'm not sure if that would help.
Oh and the board is a Gigabyte Z370 HD3P

I would try leaving the timings what they are, then increase the memory speed and test for stability.

Back