• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

M0 Stepping CPUs and Tjunction Max

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
Thought I'd bring this to you folks' attention. I noticed it on a thread where a guy was OC'ing an E4500 w/ M0 stepping & his TjunctionMax in CoreTemp was 85c.

First, here's the source of the following text.

After reading this great guide on how to get your true temps for C2D/Q I noticed many Tjunction Max* that were listed were not matching that of CoreTemp. You may be getting core temp readings 15c LOWER than the true temp. As of CoreTemp 0.95.4 many C2D processors have their Tjunction Max in CoreTemp read as 85c when it is indeed 100c**. I have verified myself that E4x00 series have a Tjunction Max of 100c because I pushed my cores to a max of 92c it did not shutdown or throttle (those that didn't know Tj Max is the shutdown temp of a C2D/Q processor and they will thermal throttle 5c below Tj Max, so current Core 2's throttle at 80c and 95c respectively).

These are the proper listings of Tjunction Max on current Core 2's, this list was pulled from the guide I gave a link to above.

100c Tjunction Max

-E21x0 L2 and M0 stepping
-E4x00 L2 and M0 stepping
-E6x00 L2 stepping ONLY
-E6x50 G0 stepping
-E6540 G0 stepping
-Q6x00 B3 and G0 stepping
-QX6x50 G0 stepping
-QX6700 B3 stepping

85c Tjunction Max

-E6x00 B2 stepping ONLY
-E6x20 B2 stepping
-X6800 B2 stepping

Untill an updated CoreTemp is released do NOT go by what CoreTemp says untill you check back here at OCN. Some people say Tjunction Max is moot but that is not true, many users including myself might of been running a Tjunction Max 100c processor and believing the temps CoreTemp reports which are indeed 15c TOO LOW. Remember Intel's thermal spec is based on Tcase not core temps. Currently all G0, M0 and B3 steppings of chips have a 10c delta between Tcase and Tjunction (Tj = core temps), while B2 and L2 stepping chips have a delta of 15c. You will notice on average the delta can range between 7c - 13c depending on the chip's speed and vcore, sometimes it can exceed 15c delta which is ok once you know your temps are all calibrated properly (refer to the guide above on how to calibrate).

*Tjunction Max or Tj Max is the temp your CPU will shutdown at. 85c Tj Max CPUs will shutdown if core temps reach 85c and 100c for 100c Tj Max CPUs. When core temps are 5c below Tj Max thermal throttling will occur which will drop vcore and CPU speed in attempt to cool down the CPU. Tj Max 85c will throttle at 80c and Tj Max 100c will throttle at 95c.

**This also applies to Speedfan 4.34 beta 36, Speedfan and CoreTemp are using the same detection method, so the processors that have a misread Tj Max in CoreTemp WILL have the same misread in Speedfan.

I hope this will help clear up many of those wondering why your temps seem strange. Whatever processor you have, if Coretemp reads it as 100c Tj Max it should be accurate, if it reads Tj Max as 85c you better check back to this thread or the full C2D/Q temp guide and look up your CPU and stepping, CoreTemp may be wrong as it was with my M0 E4500.

EDIT: CoreTemp shows Tjunction Max as just Tjuction, it is not displayed properly and should be shown as Tjunction Max. Hopefully this will be corrected in the next version.

Has anyone seen info to this effect? AFAIK, the only 85c TjunctionMax chips are B2 stepping chips. All others are 100c TjunctionMax.

Thanks for your time.

My E4500 is indeed reported by CoreTemp as an 85c Tj. Strangely enough it also lists the temp being 2-3c higher then Intel TAT does as well.

I'm curious on this as well. I just built an e4400 MO system last night, and will be installing software, and OCing it tonight. I guess if I see 85*Tjmax I should just add 15* to whatever temp I see, or just change CoreTemp settings to show the delta to Tjmax.

I don't know what to think about this. Another user at the abit forums got an M0 E2140 and it shows 85c TjunctionMax as well. The author of CoreTemp is around here somewhere, I've seen him post (and get thanked for his GREAT program!). Maybe will see this and can weigh in. It could be that they have an 85c TjunctionMax, but the E4400 M0 has a thermal spec of ~71c. My L2 is a 100c Tjunctionmax and has a thermal spec of ~61c. I'm so confused...

I'm finished OCing my e4400, and I am starting to believe your source is wrong. I think the e4400-M0 has a Tjmax of 85c. Here's my reasoning:

I lowered the vCore as low as possible...1.1v. Then I lowered the FSB to 200, and the multi to 6, so I was only running at 1.2GHz. Temps were just above ambient at idle as they should be.

Final OC was 3GHz (333x9) at 1.525v set in BIOS (1.416v actual under load via CPU-Z). Temps were in the upper20's/lower 30's at idle, and went up to 65 under load. This on a stock Intel Cu cooler (from a different CPU) and in a Cooler Master 690 case.

If anybody knows for sure that the Tjmax for this chip is supposed to be 100c, and my temps are actually 15c higher please let me know.

Glad someone looked into this. I'm not doubting you but can't seem to find out one way or the other. It seems everything on the planet refers to the Tom's Hardware guide, which lists it as a 100c TjunctionMax. I hate to keep telling people that ask "I have no idea what safe temps are" for their chips, but I don't feel confident.

If the CoreTemp author reads this, please enlighten us! Your program has been right so far, is it still right for these M0 chips?

Now, relating to your OC, that is one heck of a Vdroop...is your PSU ok?

Just playing the devil's advocate, have a look at the Intel specs:

E4400 L2 Stepping & E4400 M0 Stepping

The thermal specs are 61.4c for the L2 & 73.3c for the M0. AFAIK, they didn't change how they came up with the thermal spec (very simplified, an external temperature probe on the IHS). How could the TjunctionMax go DOWN while the thermal spec went UP?

That's what is leading me to believe that they still have a 100c TjunctionMax. Now, whether 15c needs to be added to CoreTemp (and every other temp monitoring prog in existence apparently) is a question I can't answer.

I'm thinking the same way. The TjunctionMax must be 100C. We are all trying to stay under 60-65C load temps anyway and I think if we always aim for that everything will be ok.

Thanks to the speedy and thorough efforts of the author of CoreTemp, the M0 issue has been resolved and is read as having a 100c TjunctionMax in version 0.96.

Back