• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

M4A785D-M PRO

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kiwiguy

Hi guys,

I've been having an ongoing issue and it's starting to do my head in!

The PC regularly BSODs, explorer.exe and any other application 'Stop working' and restart but these issues only occur occasionally. Sometimes the PC refuses to post.

Specifications

M4A785D-M PRO Motherboard
AMD X4 630 2.8GHz CPU
2x2GB DDR2-1000 G.Skill Ram
Asus CuCore Radeon 5770
Asus Xonar HDAV Dexlue Soundcard
Antec High Current Gamer 520w PSU

What I can tell you?

The PC is rock solid on Prime95 FFT/Blend tests. RAM passes memtest86 without a hitch. Furmark/3D Mark run fine.

Temps are below 60 under load.

Moving the ram from the blue slots to the black slots has enabled the PC to post as it previously flat out refused to post. I've always ran them in the blue slots previously.

PC can some times run for a day or two without problem.

I replaced the previous Enermax PSU thinking that may solve the issue.

I'm left to thinking it's the CPU or Motherboard.... thoughts?

BIOS settings are left at default values.

Previously ran the CPU at 3.4GHz without issue. Stock volts. Same issue occurs no matter what the setting.

Something's wrong if it won't boot when the ram is in the blue slots.

Something's wrong if it won't boot when the ram is in the blue slots.

Sorry I meant I had to swap the RAM configuration around to get the PC posting again.

Still has the same issues no matter what config. Ganged, unganged, blue/black slots etc

About all you can do is try process of elimination to find the issue? Make sure your mobo chipset, video and other hardware drivers are the correct ones. Set your RAM timings and voltage manually in BIOS instead of using the default or auto settings. Does CPU-Z show the correct data for your memory?

Try using one stick of RAM only, for a few days to see if you still experience issues. Also see if there is a new BIOS. Asus is slow to release BIOS for known mobo issues. DrWatson or similar may help identify the problem if it continues?

:welcome: to OC!

Just as a quick check here, is CPU-Z showing RAM in dual-channel?

Try going into BIOS and setting the RAM voltage (vDIMM) manually. It's often 1.80v for DDR2 (and I always add 0.05v to that for 1.85v total) but may be different depending on your RAM. If you can post the CPU-Z Memory and SPD tabs the information should be there.

Does your BIOS show it's current settings for vDIMM and cpuNB voltage? That could be valuable information as well ...

kiwiguy, I have the M4A785-M and had the exact same problems as you. I'm using onboard graphics and PQI RAM though.

Passed memtest w/o problems when I first built it. 4 months later bsod's start. Memtest fails unless I move the RAM to the other set of slots, either stick of RAM will work in any slot by itself. Thinking it was a mobo problem I rma'd the board and Asus sends the same one back, not sure if they did anything. Memtest now fails regardless of which set of slots I use.

I rma the RAM, new sticks pass memtest but still bsods after a fresh install of Win7. I switch to Catalyst 10.9, uninstall mse, manually set all voltages in bios, and installed all the awaiting patches on windows update and all seems fine for now.

I think I fixed the not POSTing by correcting the front panel connectors and rechecking all the power cables or it fixed itself on its own, I don't really know.

Back