• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

m5a97 LE R2.0 Crapped out, what happened?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ASUS did claim it would support that chip on that board and others!

http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M5A97_LE_R20/HelpDesk_CPU/
http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M5A78LMUSB3/HelpDesk_CPU/
http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M5A97_LE_R20/HelpDesk_CPU/
http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M5A97_EVO/HelpDesk_CPU/
http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M5A88V_EVO/HelpDesk_CPU/
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A87/HelpDesk_CPU/

I have two M5A87s with a PII x6 1100T. They could barely handle running Prime95 at stock with Turbocore and all the power saving features turned on. With it all turned off, it would get to the point that the boards would just shut down. These cheap boards are just not meant for what we put them through! :mad:

I know they support the chips with these boards. I have the LE page bookmarked since I visit it frequently wondering if they are ever going to update the BIOS again. Even though it is unneeded im one of the types who await new drivers/updates. I am using the very latest BIOS version on this board with NO OC, so my results should tell it all. I fail to see what the M5A87 has to do with the M5A97 though? If all of these boards were as screwed up as you claim ASUS would be in trouble. The boards that sale most are usually these sub 100 dollar boards and not the 150+ dollar ones. This links is to a page with good info about various MOBOs

http://www.overclock.net/t/946407/amd-motherboards-vrm-info-database

People like to think they didn't waste their money. I don't blame him for being reticent to accept the fact these boards aren't very good. I'm just not a fan of my ignorant first post here being taken as rhetoric over a year and lots of learning later is all :-/

Personally I don't back up ANY hardware that isn't decent, so if these boards do have a problem I can not wait to sort it out with ASUS. I have gone through RMA processes before. Most recent one being corsair and in the end of the madness ended up upgraded. I just fail to accept the words of the few without conclusive evidence/information because ppl online can be very misleading for various reasons. Some ppl are simple BIASED, or just have had a bad experience, or misused a product, or expected more from a product than what it had to offer. Ignorance is usually the main reason why most ppl have issues with their computers in the first place. You cant expect a budget board to overclock a power hungry CPU and last. Its simply illogical. If budget boards could pull it off there would be little to no reason to buy high end boards besides the extra features.

I imagine this to be the...

...be the real deal darkgamerx226. You can spend your own money on any motherboard and cpu combination that you wish to and also utilize that combination as you please. No problem whatsoever. If you have an issue fine. If you don't have an issue that is fine also. If you RMA and the company does well for and by you that is fine as well.

However there is an oddity here. There is no reason to REopen a year old thread with and about a user here in the forum that has already done his deal with lesser motherboards and has been moved on from said lesser board now for some time. Instead of a year old thread REopening, you could easily have opened your own thread and pointed out or relayed your personal findings. But not as such in a thread that someone else had long since put to rest and made peace with the questions and answers he went thru, that have nothing at all to do with yourself.

There is also the other side of the coin for flipping or viewing. It makes little difference to most of us that have spent hours and hours and hours and then a few more hours helping complete and total newbs sort thru a big menagerie of boards and coolers and overclocks to what have been some user's dismay and to other's glory; what a single user's findings maybe since we do not have the luxury of dealing with one-ofs. As helpers of the masses about AMD and AM3+ boards and cpus with the FX cpu variant almost equal to a heater on many homes, we will only be suggesting to users what works in a majority sense.

I am as are most in here well acquainted with the exception to the rule. I have one FX-8350 that on three of the most recommended boards in this forum section...well it is not a diamond of a cpu. I have another FX-8350 that has the glimmering of cubic zirconium and one that has the real diamond luster. All can rest assured, that I in no way will suggest to the majority that their cpu will run like that near one-of diamond that I have and neither will I suggest that they buy a lesser motherboard and expect to overclock to the same cpu speed as myself or a number of others are capable of doing. And doing ALL this overclocking with ALL 8 cores enabled and running 5.2Ghz for 2.5 hours P95 Blend stable. It would be like setting most new users up for certain failure. That is not polite.

I will always suggest that a user wishing to get all he can from an AMD AM3+ cpu buy one of the three boards that the majority in here have found to work well for extended overclock use. That is how most things work best in a forum setting. Not the one-ofs nor the exceptions to the rule are ever experienced by most users. Some maybe very fortunate as you maybe but such is not a reason for moving any distance from majority results.

I am certain since I know most of these men very well, that we all wish for you the very best in your computering endeavors. That all goes well for you. That we will never say "I told you so" if you do run into issues later on a board we feel not up to 24/7 use at greater than 4.8Ghz. No we usually commiserate when there is a running afoul of issues for most coming thru here no matter the cause. In general that is just the calibre of men that have dedicated a large portion of their free time, for free, to answer that age old question > "how do I overclock my stuff?".

I would again suggest that if you wish to opine over time or as time goes by related to your system and configuration that you draw attention to yourself and your system with your own thread related to how things go for you. Just about everyone likes to hear that championing of what is often thought to be the underdog. That seems human nature.

Good luck and good fortune to you in your computering journey. We all wind up forging a trail that is of our own making.
RGone...ster.

Last edited:
...be the real deal darkgamerx226. You can spend your own money on any motherboard and cpu combination that you wish to and also utilize that combination as you please. No problem whatsoever. If you have an issue fine. If you don't have an issue that is fine also. If you RMA and the company does well for and by you that is fine as well.

However there is an oddity here. There is no reason to REopen a year old thread with and about a user here in the forum that has already done his deal with lesser motherboards and has been moved on from said lesser board now for some time. Instead of a year old thread REopening, you could easily have opened your own thread and pointed out or relayed your personal findings. But not as such in a thread that someone else had long since put to rest and made peace with the questions and answers he went thru, that have nothing at all to do with yourself.

There is also the other side of the coin for flipping or viewing. It makes little difference to most of us that have spent hours and hours and hours and then a few more hours helping complete and total newbs sort thru a big menagerie of boards and coolers and overclocks to what have been some user's dismay and to other's glory; what a single user's findings maybe since we do not have the luxury of dealing with one-ofs. As helpers of the masses about AMD and AM3+ boards and cpus with the FX cpu variant almost equal to a heater on many homes, we will only be suggesting to users what works in a majority sense.

I am as are most in here well acquainted with the exception to the rule. I have one FX-8350 that on three of the most recommended boards in this forum section...well it is not a diamond of a cpu. I have another FX-8350 that has the glimmering of cubic zirconium and one that has the real diamond luster. All can rest assured, that I in no way will suggest to the majority that their cpu will run like that near one-of diamond that I have and neither will I suggest that they buy a lesser motherboard and expect to overclock to the same cpu speed as myself or a number of others are capable of doing. And doing ALL this overclocking with ALL 8 cores enabled and running 5.2Ghz for 2.5 hours P95 Blend stable. It would be like setting most new users up for certain failure. That is not polite.

I will always suggest that a user wishing to get all he can from an AMD AM3+ cpu buy one of the three boards that the majority in here have found to work well for extended overclock use. That is how most things work best in a forum setting. Not the one-ofs nor the exceptions to the rule are ever experienced by most users. Some maybe very fortunate as you maybe but such is not a reason for moving any distance from majority results.

I am certain since I know most of these men very well, that we all wish for you the very best in your computering endeavors. That all goes well for you. That we will never say "I told you so" if you do run into issues later on a board we feel not up to 24/7 use at greater than 4.8Ghz. No we usually commiserate when there is a running afoul of issues for most coming thru here no matter the cause. In general that is just the calibre of men that have dedicated a large portion of their free time, for free, to answer that age old question > "how do I overclock my stuff?".

I would again suggest that if you wish to opine over time or as time goes by related to your system and configuration that you draw attention to yourself and your system with your own thread related to how things go for you. Just about everyone likes to hear that championing of what is often thought to be the underdog. That seems human nature.

Good luck and good fortune to you in your computering journey. We all wind up forging a trail that is of our own making.
RGone...ster.

- - - Updated - - -

I would again suggest that if you wish to opine over time or as time goes by related to your system and configuration that you draw attention to yourself and your system with your own thread related how things go. Just about everyone likes to hear that championing of what is often thought to be the underdog. That seems human nature.

RGone...ster.

Fair enough. I just think that to claim these boards= automatic failure for FX cpus regardless of circumstance is insane. I know this is a year old, but I was google searching and saw the recent comments so I added my 2 cents. Didn't know that wasn't allowed on this site. Sorry about that....... ..... ......

Dark I'm not sure why manufacturers do that, but they do. MSI is the biggest offender, but they all do it. My experience is both first hand and the few years I've been here helping others out. As you say a computer is only as good as the sum of its parts. You hit the nail square on the head with that. A 4+2 power phase is just not adequate for an 8 core CPU. Many would argue even 6 cores. I don't care they brand, 4+2 just has to work to hard to drive these chips. Can it do it. Most likely. Will it last until the warranty period ends. Well that's the gamble these manufactures are taking. As a consumer you should know, when a motherboard blows at the VRM it can take out the CPU, Ram and GPU with it. Your motherboard RMA will not likely cover these items and attempting to RMA a cpu that died because of the motherboard isn't going to happen either. All I'm saying is for an extra $50 or so you could save the life of ALL your other components.

. I just find it very unlikely that they would claim support for a chip since 2012 that would cause the board to die within 3 weeks. Sounds idiotic if you ask me.

It really is...

Your experience? You are speaking as if its been an epidemic with these boards failing with 8 core chips or something?.

It really is...

http://www.overclock.net/t/1516017/asus-m5a97-and-a-1100t-failing-prime95-stock-clocks-now
https://teksyndicate.com/forum/motherboards/asus-m5a97-dead/144578
http://bighow.org/24382556-M5a97_bios_update_fail.html
http://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=93464
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/305062-30-asus-m5a97-mobo-dead

Please don't take this as an affront to your intelligence or anything negative to you personally; this is purely anecdotal comments from people that have had issues with this board and is a reflection on asus imo. Its not really your fault per say. The fact is, it's quite clear these boards give up the good fight with FX chips and higher phenoms without much resilience on the motherboards end. You are absolutely correct, they SHOULD be fine, but they aren't for a lot of people. You might be good to go, if it works for you and does what you want, and doesn't fail, power to you!

On Bob's boat here.
I know, I know......it's rare for me, but he's right this time. :clap:

Dark I'm not sure why manufacturers do that, but they do. MSI is the biggest offender, but they all do it. My experience is both first hand and the few years I've been here helping others out. As you say a computer is only as good as the sum of its parts. You hit the nail square on the head with that. A 4+2 power phase is just not adequate for an 8 core CPU. Many would argue even 6 cores. I don't care they brand, 4+2 just has to work to hard to drive these chips. Can it do it. Most likely. Will it last until the warranty period ends. Well that's the gamble these manufactures are taking. As a consumer you should know, when a motherboard blows at the VRM it can take out the CPU, Ram and GPU with it. Your motherboard RMA will not likely cover these items and attempting to RMA a cpu that died because of the motherboard isn't going to happen either. All I'm saying is for an extra $50 or so you could save the life of ALL your other components.

That is where you are wrong. Most companies like CORSAIR for example do offer coverage over their PSUs etc killing other components. I'm not totally sure about ASUS but they seem to give good warranty periods on all of their parts. I heard about the MSI G46 being an unstable board when OC, but so far this doesn't appear to be the case with the M5A97 LE R2.0. Like I said earlier the board is running very cool (EVEN TO THE TOUCH) while under load. I don't know how these boards will fare when OCed, nor am I willing to find out. When I bought this board I didn't have OCing in mind nor should anyone else who is cautious about what they are doing. Would be pretty bad on behalf of ASUS to claim a board can support a CPU that its incapable of running at stock clocks. Ppl having issues after OCing an 8 core to fx9370 levels on this board makes perfectly good sense. I'm running at stock default settings and I have years to find out if this board is incapable of handling the 8320. If it dies and just so happens to UNLIKELY take everything with it its all under warranty so we shall see.

It really is...

It really is...

http://www.overclock.net/t/1516017/asus-m5a97-and-a-1100t-failing-prime95-stock-clocks-now
https://teksyndicate.com/forum/motherboards/asus-m5a97-dead/144578
http://bighow.org/24382556-M5a97_bios_update_fail.html
http://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=93464
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/305062-30-asus-m5a97-mobo-dead

Please don't take this as an affront to your intelligence or anything negative to you personally; this is purely anecdotal comments from people that have had issues with this board and is a reflection on asus imo. Its not really your fault per say. The fact is, it's quite clear these boards give up the good fight with FX chips and higher phenoms without much resilience on the motherboards end. You are absolutely correct, they SHOULD be fine, but they aren't for a lot of people. You might be good to go, if it works for you and does what you want, and doesn't fail, power to you!

The first guy overclocked and it seems to have screwed something up.

The 2nd guy is using the first revision which from what im reading in the comments does NOT support the vishera out of the box which I guess is why they made the new revision 2.0

The next guy messed up a BIOS update when all honesty updating the BIOS is the scariest thing lol. I know something like a power outage while im flashing can brick my entire rig.

The next guy is having issues with his PCI slot........nothings perfect and sometimes sh*t happens.

The next guy has a 6100 and is having issues. THATS A 95WATT CHIP. Thats basically like saying these boards are no good for even an athlon II x 4 LOL.......

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...-good-not-good-at-all?highlight=asus+warranty

Well I guess I stand corrected then. Thank you for clarifying that for me. Best of luck in your endeavors.

No you could possibly be right because anything is possible. I went through 5 RMAs with corsair back to back which is how I found out about the parts coverage. A decent PSU LIKE THE HX650 which is really a re-branded seasonic unit should have fail safes in place to prevent overloads that can possibly take out your entire PC.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...-good-not-good-at-all?highlight=asus+warranty

Well I guess I stand corrected then. Thank you for clarifying that for me. Best of luck in your endeavors.

Wow......Situations like these are a 2 way street because sometimes the consumer lies, sometimes the company tries to get around the consumer. If ASUS were bad overall when it came to RMAs they wouldn't be as popular as they are now. IDK why a company would intentionally damage a board or if its even true. The pictures the guy had could have been taken before the board was actually damaged so that's not actual proof. Just seems like a waste of time for a company to lie when their priority should be focused on satisfying the consumer and getting the consumer hooked on their products.

Well its officially been 6 months since I have placed the 8320 in the socket of this board. I have been using this PC 24/7 ALWAYS ON only restarting it. I have played through GTA5, the witcher 3 and many other games. I have installed and reinstalled windows 10 insider preview builds probably over a dozen times. The motherboard hasn't given me any problems whatsoever. The cpu is only 6 months old, but the motherboard itself will be 2 years old at the end of this year. I'm simply running stock and all is well. Just wanted to update everyone like I said I would. Since I use it for gaming plus run it 24/7 I think im a great example. Case closed Capture.JPG

Well its officially been 6 months since I have placed the 8320 in the socket of this board. I have been using this PC 24/7 ALWAYS ON only restarting it. I have played through GTA5, the witcher 3 and many other games. I have installed and reinstalled windows 10 insider preview builds probably over a dozen times. The motherboard hasn't given me any problems whatsoever. The cpu is only 6 months old, but the motherboard itself will be 2 years old at the end of this year. I'm simply running stock and all is well. Just wanted to update everyone like I said I would. Since I use it for gaming plus run it 24/7 I think im a great example. Case closed

Just wondering if you would be here right now if the board had failed?

Back