• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

m5a97 LE R2.0 Crapped out, what happened?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks for the update. Still not a board anyone should recommend for the 8 core chips.

I'd love to see if you pass p95 blend test stock honestly.

Thanks for the update. Still not a board anyone should recommend for the 8 core chips.

I'd love to see if you pass p95 blend test stock honestly.

Bob maybe we should just leave him alone. You nor I either one would buy that board for an 8 core and likely n0t for even a 6 core. C_D could not do anything with a 4 core FX-4100 on the non-LE board. So we know we are not going to get that board and we will not be recommending it either. BUT run absolutely as AMD intended the FX cpu to be run...well so far his board is holding up.

But just about 'every' last post we get in really any of these AMD forum sections is about overclocking. It is there that some boards even better than the LE have fallen on their face and that will not change any, at least any time soon. So I am just saying all this so we can leave him alone. He reported it was still going in dead stock mode and that is good. Not for me though. Nope.

RGone...

Makes it easy to say 'I told you so' when everything goes your way.
Especially when you say it in a 'drive by'.

Bob maybe we should just leave him alone. You nor I either one would buy that board for an 8 core and likely n0t for even a 6 core. C_D could not do anything with a 4 core FX-4100 on the non-LE board. So we know we are not going to get that board and we will not be recommending it either. BUT run absolutely as AMD intended the FX cpu to be run...well so far his board is holding up.

But just about 'every' last post we get in really any of these AMD forum sections is about overclocking. It is there that some boards even better than the LE have fallen on their face and that will not change any, at least any time soon. So I am just saying all this so we can leave him alone. He reported it was still going in dead stock mode and that is good. Not for me though. Nope.

RGone...

Agreed.

This is "overclockers.com" not "keepyourcpuatstockspeedsandvoltages.com" as well ;)

Makes it easy to say 'I told you so' when everything goes your way.
Especially when you say it in a 'drive by'.

reminds me of the fools at another forum with a similar name to this one. "Hey it worked for me this one time, so all you others that have had issues with it are idiots. My singular experience trumps the many users that have any problems with it".

reminds me of the fools at another forum with a similar name to this one. "Hey it worked for me this one time, so all you others that have had issues with it are idiots. My singular experience trumps the many users that have any problems with it".

I know the place. ;)

bob4933 said:
"keepyourcpuatstockspeedsandvoltages.com"

That is some funny shett man. Getting a ticket for going too slow.
attachment.php

RGone...skisterzzzzzzzzzzz

Just wondering if you would be here right now if the board had failed?

Yes I would. I don't back up companies that make bad products. If I buy something and use it as its intended to be used and it fails that's it between me and that company.

LOL all of you sound mad simply because of you all being wrong. The proof is in the pudding. I guess a gamer running a system 24/7 day n and day out isn't proof enough that running the 8 core STOCK on this board is fine. Well I guess I will simply post again once its time to upgrade and tell you all how much I enjoyed this board and CPU combo. Regardless of what you all say its been a half year since you all basically told me it would go up in flames and I begged to differ. I didn't give the board any leniency, basically running it day n and day out converting downloading defraging gaming. I did run p95 when I strapped on the etst40 for 4 hours while I was away. Can I say that this board is good for overclocking? NO! But I can say that running at stock has been perfectly fine for me. Idk how others treat their computers or how honest/dishonest they may be when it comes to their own **** ups. All I can do is speak from my very own PROVEN perspective. Lets just all leave it at that.

Fits perfectly.

I would have let it go until post #68 appeared.
Time is on our side.

Last edited:
LOL all of you sound mad simply because of you all being wrong. The proof is in the pudding. I guess a gamer running a system 24/7 day n and day out isn't proof enough that running the 8 core STOCK on this board is fine. Well I guess I will simply post again once its time to upgrade and tell you all how much I enjoyed this board and CPU combo. Regardless of what you all say its been a half year since you all basically told me it would go up in flames and I begged to differ. I didn't give the board any leniency, basically running it day n and day out converting downloading defraging gaming. I did run p95 when I strapped on the etst40 for 4 hours while I was away. Can I say that this board is good for overclocking? NO! But I can say that running at stock has been perfectly fine for me. Idk how others treat their computers or how honest/dishonest they may be when it comes to their own **** ups. All I can do is speak from my very own PROVEN perspective. Lets just all leave it at that.

So lets get this straight. Your singular experience trumps my experience? Why? Also, what about others that have used this board with lower chips that failed? What about them? Im not judging your experience, Im judging how you are presenting your experience.

If you bothered to read my thread, you will see I DID overclock the FIRST le. That thing failed VERY quickly. Thats fine, I took it beyond designed limits. BUT the next time, I was literally like "screw overclocking", and ran it stock. It slowly but surely stopped working, bricking out completely. I was out 85$ or so, I dont remember. So much for a 'budget' build at that point.

A better approach would simply be "hey guys, Im running this stock. It has worked great for me, and I know some have had issues with it, but I haven't had any problems." Your attitude is hitting me as "You are all morons. I told you so. It works great".

That said, we dont know

1) what games you are playing
2) How often you play said games
3) is your computer throttling because of temps
4) p95 ran failure free for 4 hours on that motherboard? Im EXTREMELY skeptical of this.
5) why you feel the need to extrapolate your uses on EVERYONE ELSE
6) any instabilities on other things

Again. You are taking this extremely personal for some reason unbeknownst to me. You didnt make or design this motherboard, why do you care if we think its garbage? A ud3p costs pretty similar and is proven to outperform it. You are merely trying to validate your purchase, that is all. That is fine.

You all are just taking the bait. If Gamer is happy with his rig than I'm happy. That said just because a Yugo runs for a few years doesn't make it a good car.

Also, there's nothing wrong with running at stock speeds if that's your thing. That's what I did for the better part of 20 years and enjoyed every rig I owned.

So lets get this straight. Your singular experience trumps my experience? Why? Also, what about others that have used this board with lower chips that failed? What about them? Im not judging your experience, Im judging how you are presenting your experience.

If you bothered to read my thread, you will see I DID overclock the FIRST le. That thing failed VERY quickly. Thats fine, I took it beyond designed limits. BUT the next time, I was literally like "screw overclocking", and ran it stock. It slowly but surely stopped working, bricking out completely. I was out 85$ or so, I dont remember. So much for a 'budget' build at that point.

A better approach would simply be "hey guys, Im running this stock. It has worked great for me, and I know some have had issues with it, but I haven't had any problems." Your attitude is hitting me as "You are all morons. I told you so. It works great".

That said, we dont know

1) what games you are playing
2) How often you play said games
3) is your computer throttling because of temps
4) p95 ran failure free for 4 hours on that motherboard? Im EXTREMELY skeptical of this.
5) why you feel the need to extrapolate your uses on EVERYONE ELSE
6) any instabilities on other things

Again. You are taking this extremely personal for some reason unbeknownst to me. You didnt make or design this motherboard, why do you care if we think its garbage? A ud3p costs pretty similar and is proven to outperform it. You are merely trying to validate your purchase, that is all. That is fine.

Please do link me to all these so called other users who have used (this) board and had it fail based on CPU related issues, who did (NOT OVERCLOCK IT TO HELL MAKING THE CPU CONSUME PAST THE BOARDS RATED WATTAGE) "I was out 85$ or so" For exactly how long did you have the board? Mine is still under warranty till this day (3 year warranty) so you must have had it for a very long time to actually not be able to exchange it/ send it in for replacement.....hmmmm. " Your attitude is hitting me as You are all morons"....You guys basically told me that this board would burst into flames if I used it with an 8 core chip. I insisted that (NOT BEING FOOLISH ENOUGH TO OVERCLOCK A BOARD WITH AN 8 CORE NO HEAT SINK ON THE VRM) and a 140watt ratting would result in the board being just fine.

1 I just said that I have played through the witcher 3 and GTA 5 recently. Reason why I named those 2 games is because they are 2 of the most resource intensive games. I also finished crysis 3 (ends with prophet on the island from crysis 1) It used all 8 cores and ran extremely well. I have not gotten any sort of throttling. I do keep the BIOS updated to the latest version though. New BIOS released last month for this board that claims to have more stability improvements. Couldn't update using AI suite since it was incompatible with windows 10. Had to update by selecting the drive through the BIOS and finding the BIOS file.

2 I game very hard honestly. On weekends I may log in 7-10 hours sat and sun when im free. Weekdays 4-5 in the evening. The witcher 3 is still relatively new and im finished with it- all the ? marks on the map lol.

3 Nope, But if I was using that crappy stock cooler which couldn't even keep the damn CPU under 60c during gaming it probably would. ETS40T keeps the temps in the 40s. The board it self has only hit 32c according to the read out.

Yes I ran it and the AMD overdrive stress test as well since most ppl consider it to be a more realistic circumstance stress test. All cores 100 percent load for 4 straight hours. Reason why I did it is because 1st I bought a ****y zalman cooler. I was unaware that the cooler was intended for 95watt chips, so the fan would go nuts on it. After I exchanged it for the etst40 I ran it again....complete difference.

5 When someone swears up and down that you are totally wrong about something and its destined for failure its a natural response lol.

6 I have been running windows 10 insider preview for some time now, so YES there have been more than a few unstable situations. Just had project 64 crash at start up blue screening windows. When I got back to the desktop explorer.exe was corrupted. Start menu would not open etc. If you are speaking of crashing in games and that sort of thing then NO. I play games like Watch Dogs, Assassins creed, Resident evil 1 2 3 veronica 4 5 and 6, saints row 4, Hitman absolution, skyrim DC universe online, The Old Republic. Even tried going back and playing the old crysis, but it still runs like ***. I am having no stability issues.

You all are just taking the bait. If Gamer is happy with his rig than I'm happy. That said just because a Yugo runs for a few years doesn't make it a good car.

Also, there's nothing wrong with running at stock speeds if that's your thing. That's what I did for the better part of 20 years and enjoyed every rig I owned.

Well during your ancient history of 20 years CPUs didn't have turbo core tech. I simply don't feel the need to overclock anything when cores are hitting 4ghz on their own. I watch the cores on one monitor while gaming by using overdrive. I see 4 cores hit 4ghz at times, but they usually sit at 3.7ghz. Most games either run well on a particular brand of CPU or they don't. Crysis 3 is a fine example of this. I see no need in overclocking a chip making it consume 50 watts more for a measly extra 5 frames a second. FX chips already run hot enough as it is. You call my PC a yugo lol but its more than capable enough when it comes to running the latest games. Runs them better than the ps4/x1 for sure lol. Since when has a more expensive motherboard = better frames per second anyway? Hell, ram itself doesn't even dictate that. Out of all the parts I have ever owned my SSD had the biggest impact on overall computer performance.

Last edited:
"You nor I either one would buy that board for an 8 core and likely n0t for even a 6 core. C_D could not do anything with a 4 core FX-4100 on the non-LE board"

I find this extremely difficult to believe. A black socket board intended for the FX lineup of chips couldn't handle the lowest FX chip (a quad core).....hmmmmm. Well I guess I must have magical powers because mine runs fine. Like I said 24/7 primary use is for gaming.

darkgamerx226, apparently you have the intention to prove that you are correct in using the M5A97 Le board with an Fx chip. It's great, it is working well for you. The original intention of this thread was to figure out why bob4933 had his board die. Every one of the people that have tried to help on this thread, do so with good intentions. Non of us are here are trying to push "better" ie higher priced boards on anyone because we feel, more expensive is better. I personally, will always try to find the best deal and or best components to get the job done no matter if they are considered "cheap" ie less expensive.

That said, through spending 3+ years on this site, learning and helping people overclock, build, trouble shoot etc... There is one resounding truth when it comes to these Fx chips, especially the 8xxx/9xxx series chips. They, run hot, draw a lot of watts and need a good motherboard to support them. Even running stock clock speeds we have seen and have had more then enough people crossing through this forum, with issues related to trying to run Fx 8/9 chips on lower end boards, whether it be an Asus, Asrock, Gigabyte etc... When we try and help someone we can only speak from experience either in these forums or from what we have learned on our own.

The fact that you have been running the board for 6 months with a Fx 8320 in it without issue is great. That doesn't change the fact that you are an exception from what we have seen. This also will not change, most of us not recommend a motherboard with no heatsinks on the VRM section of the board and/or only a 4+2 power phase section, for a Fx 8/9 chip. Reason being, we are here trying to help someone who is across the internet. We do not know this person and or their financial situation. We want to help them build a system that will work and work well, within their budget. I would feel terrible if I recommended a board for someone and the board failed on the person, not only failing but taking other components with it along the way, which we have seen. Knowing what we do with the history of Fx 8/9 series chips on low end boards. I personally have had 2 lower end boards fail on me and it is a bit un-nerving to smell and see smoke coming out of ones Pc. Again, we do this out of our goodness hearts and for fun, we do not get paid for it.

Post #56 you put up yesterday, whether intended or not sure reads like a " Ha I told you so" post. I would bet my last dollar, that not a single person on this thread wanted your board to fail. I'm also sure there are plenty of people that have had success with lower end boards and Fx 8/9 chips. That all said, saying stuff like
LOL all of you sound mad simply because of you all being wrong.
Your attitude is hitting me as You are all morons

When a few of the people simply gave you a :thup: is immature and uncalled for. Your board is working well, that is great and I truly hope it continues to do so for many years. Don't be an E Peen about it.

darkgamerx226, apparently you have the intention to prove that you are correct in using the M5A97 Le board with an Fx chip. It's great, it is working well for you. The original intention of this thread was to figure out why bob4933 had his board die. Every one of the people that have tried to help on this thread, do so with good intentions. Non of us are here are trying to push "better" ie higher priced boards on anyone because we feel, more expensive is better. I personally, will always try to find the best deal and or best components to get the job done no matter if they are considered "cheap" ie less expensive.

That said, through spending 3+ years on this site, learning and helping people overclock, build, trouble shoot etc... There is one resounding truth when it comes to these Fx chips, especially the 8xxx/9xxx series chips. They, run hot, draw a lot of watts and need a good motherboard to support them. Even running stock clock speeds we have seen and have had more then enough people crossing through this forum, with issues related to trying to run Fx 8/9 chips on lower end boards, whether it be an Asus, Asrock, Gigabyte etc... When we try and help someone we can only speak from experience either in these forums or from what we have learned on our own.

The fact that you have been running the board for 6 months with a Fx 8320 in it without issue is great. That doesn't change the fact that you are an exception from what we have seen. This also will not change, most of us not recommend a motherboard with no heatsinks on the VRM section of the board and/or only a 4+2 power phase section, for a Fx 8/9 chip. Reason being, we are here trying to help someone who is across the internet. We do not know this person and or their financial situation. We want to help them build a system that will work and work well, within their budget. I would feel terrible if I recommended a board for someone and the board failed on the person, not only failing but taking other components with it along the way, which we have seen. Knowing what we do with the history of Fx 8/9 series chips on low end boards. I personally have had 2 lower end boards fail on me and it is a bit un-nerving to smell and see smoke coming out of ones Pc. Again, we do this out of our goodness hearts and for fun, we do not get paid for it.

Post #56 you put up yesterday, whether intended or not sure reads like a " Ha I told you so" post. I would bet my last dollar, that not a single person on this thread wanted your board to fail. I'm also sure there are plenty of people that have had success with lower end boards and Fx 8/9 chips. That all said, saying stuff like

When a few of the people simply gave you a :thup: is immature and uncalled for. Your board is working well, that is great and I truly hope it continues to do so for many years. Don't be an E Peen about it.

Sure Mandrake4565, back up your fellow users who have been insulting my choice of board and PC throughout this entire topic saying things like " Just wondering if you would be here right now if the board had failed?" OR "Makes it easy to say 'I told you so' when everything goes your way.
Especially when you say it in a 'drive by" OR "reminds me of the fools at another forum with a similar name to this one. "Hey it worked for me this one time, so all you others that have had issues with it are idiots" OR "That is some funny shett man. Getting a ticket for going too slow"OR "That said just because a Yugo runs for a few years doesn't make it a good car".....such maturity. One of the main reasons why i don't usually bother with sites like this one is because you guys have a tendency to gang up on new names and cover each others asses. Nothing about my post said "I TOLD YOU SO". I said I would come back in 6 months and update and that's exactly what I did. Its like everyone's butt hurt on this topic about the simple fact of me being right. If my board is really as bad as you guys claim shouldn't I be congratulated? Instead im being ridiculed and ganged up on. I asked for proof of this particular board having issues by these so many ghost users out there and still haven't been provided with any. Regardless to anyone outside of the (KNOW IT ALL) angry club on overclokers.com who is reading this and wondering about the reliability of this board. The proof is here. THE END.

You tried Mike.
There will be nothing anybody can say that won't bring a smart *** comment in return.
Time to get out.

darkgamerx226 , enjoy your rig.
The 'Dirty Dozen' will not be bothering with you any more.

You tried Mike.
There will be nothing anybody can say that won't bring a smart *** comment in return.
Time to get out.

darkgamerx226 , enjoy your rig.
The 'Dirty Dozen' will not be bothering with you any more.

Good because I never intended on this going for so long. I came back to post my results and all of you jumped out of the woodwork. Sorry my success=your disappointment. Have a wonderful day.

Ok........... well, that is about enough of this nonsense. Any more and the thread will be closed (at minimum...).

:soda:

@ Darkgamer - Don't take the bait, and dont post 'i told you so' posts.
@ the rest - don't antagonize, regardless of right or wrong, with 'i told you so' type posts too.

Last edited:
Back