• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mag 3 mods

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
you could submerge the pump or you could put the pump in some kind of an enclosure with sound proofing.

whats this metal clamp everyone has on their pump for? do you put it there yourself?
What? Are you serious? You water cool and you don't know why a clamp is on a pump?

Someone asked about "crass barbs" and I'll just assume that that means brass barbs, and they're more likely to crack the casing of the pump.

I have a clamp on there as well. I broke the housing with the brass barbs, naturally... You can also see the silicone sealant where the o-ring is.

Sorry about B/W, thought it looked better when I took it.

pumpinout.jpg

DarkDraco, the clamp is there to prevent the inlet from cracking.
AngryAlpaca, I don't think all watercoolers know the inlet on Danners are prone to cracking.

Last edited:
The clamp is for the purpose of stopping leaks between the barb and the tubing... It has nothing to do with a cracked housing... It's used (or should be) on every joint in a WC system.

i think he was referring to the large brass/copper tubing that appears on overbrazil's post/pic

now a few questions myself, i am currently using a smaller pump from petsmart, saw that they have the mag 3 for 45 (online only), and am interested in getting the inline, (current one is submerged in my waterfall rez).

could anyone list suggested things to buy at teh same time?

also i heard someone say that it was loud? is it volcano loud?... 48 db that is... or is it more like a hum?...

and you are all using 1/2 tubing right?

much obliged...

AngryAlpaca said:
The clamp is for the purpose of stopping leaks between the barb and the tubing... It has nothing to do with a cracked housing... It's used (or should be) on every joint in a WC system.

Yes that is what clamps are used for but I believe DarkDraco was asking about the clamp that prevents the weak danner inlet housing from cracking. Look at {BC}Helix and Overbrazil's pictures again.

shikata said:
i think he was referring to the large brass/copper tubing that appears on overbrazil's post/pic

now a few questions myself, i am currently using a smaller pump from petsmart, saw that they have the mag 3 for 45 (online only), and am interested in getting the inline, (current one is submerged in my waterfall rez).

also i heard someone say that it was loud? is it volcano loud?... 48 db that is... or is it more like a hum?...

much obliged...
no so noisy for me. I am using 3/4 ID(inlet) and 1/2 (outlet)

Attachments

• P1010040.jpg
    P1010040.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 241
AngryAlpaca said:
What? Are you serious? You water cool and you don't know why a clamp is on a pump?

Someone asked about "crass barbs" and I'll just assume that that means brass barbs, and they're more likely to crack the casing of the pump.

ive been using a hydor for some time... just recently ordered my mag3 and it hasnt arrived yet.... i wouldnt know... thats why i asked

shikata said:

much obliged...

i would say it is about 30dba. i can hear it over my 21dba panaflos, but it blends in with my 25-30dba blower. noticible, but if ur using any fan over 30dba, u shouldn't hear it.

overbrazil, i used to have my inlet as 3/4 and my outlet 1/2 like urs. my was still a little loud and would vibrate a lot. when i switched to 1/2 and 1/2 so i could accomidate my reservoir, it didn't get louder or start vibrating more. did u do anything else ot make it quieter?

I see that everyone is using a barb of some type in the inlet, perhaps my problem si becuase i'm putting a hose *over* the inlet. It's 1" hose clamped down. I was having difficulties finding a barb large enough at home depot/menards and i'm sick of waiting a week to order stuff. I wonder if the noise is coming from water being pulled accross the threads. Should I grind those out perhaps?

DarkDraco said:
ive been using a hydor for some time... just recently ordered my mag3 and it hasnt arrived yet.... i wouldnt know... thats why i asked

the one on the plastic is to stop it from cracking, it's easy to do. The other ones are just for holding the tubing on the barb.

Well I'll be damned. I guess I was wrong, I didn't notice it until I looked at Brazil's second picture.

Korndog said:
i would say it is about 30dba. i can hear it over my 21dba panaflos, but it blends in with my 25-30dba blower. noticible, but if ur using any fan over 30dba, u shouldn't hear it.

overbrazil, i used to have my inlet as 3/4 and my outlet 1/2 like urs. my was still a little loud and would vibrate a lot. when i switched to 1/2 and 1/2 so i could accomidate my reservoir, it didn't get louder or start vibrating more. did u do anything else ot make it quieter?
not so much, i have just put some foam under the pumps.It is incredible, but the EHEIM is louder than my mag. :)

Attachments

• P1010045.jpg
    P1010045.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 124
went into petsmart today to check out just how big this thing is... they didnt have the three only the mag2 and mag5, my lord they are big, my old pump was aabout 2 x 4 x3 inches
this thing is more like 6 by five by five... and weighs closer to two pounds

oh well, it gives better head :-d

the metal hose clamp that is up on the plastic part of the mag3 inlet is placed there to keep the housing from cracking when you thread in the barb for the inlet - mag3s are downright notorious for cracking at that point.

As for the o-ring mod - the older Mag3s had hell with that leak because they used plastic screws to hold the impeller housing to the body of the pump. The plastic screws were shatty and the housing would ALWAYS leak after some use. the common fix then (and now) is to pull the impeller housing off and adding a bead of silicone sealant or plumber's goop over the o-ring and then bolting it back together and letting it dry overnight if not longer. Danner switched to metal screws for the inlet housing and that greatly reduced the serious leak problems but minor leak issues still happen. So, the silicone mod is still a good idea.

One of the older, once-somewhat-popular mods to this pump was the crazy glue mod that involved gluing down the impeller to the shaft to stop the sometimes annoying ticky-tick-tick noise that is caused by the impeller on the mag pumps. Several did this mod and ran into problems as it apparently screwed up the pump on startup (including yours truly). You would start the pump and it would sound like it was running fine but the impeller wouldn't budge so no water was flowing. You had to bump it or squeeze the tubing to start the water flow. Granted, it did make it quieter once it was running but considering the startup issues, it wasn't worth it.

I have not used the danner's in some time - my mag3 had serious issues with leaks and then my mag5 burned out after 3 weeks of use with no warning so I decided to say "ta hell with danner" for a while. After that, I switched to a Rainbow Lifeguard Quiet One pump (the original badarse isolated wet rotor design) and I have not considered using another pump since then. :)

[sorry but that made me laugh XD]

as it was well intended to do....

weapon, what is this pump? the rlqop, :D, wheredja get it, and about how much, stats?

that quiet one pump isnt all that quiet at all, it runs at 45 decibles... just saw info on it, plus its either 296 gph or someothing like 1000 gph... neither of which interest me

Back