• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mag 3 mods

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
shikata said:
that quiet one pump isnt all that quiet at all, it runs at 45 decibles... just saw info on it, plus its either 296 gph or someothing like 1000 gph... neither of which interest me
ah - you looked up the ones that are the new designs - pentair aquatics bought out Rainbow sometime ago and changed the design of the pump (bastages!) Pentair used to just make war toys (no joke - they made stuff for the military [vietnam era] and that was about it - then they decided to diversify and get into pool gear, then they bought Lincoln who makes jacks, welders and plasma cutters so now they bought an aquarium/pool company, go figure).

Anyway, the original design RLQO is a totally different pump - no idea what the dB rating is but if the specs claim the pump is the least bit loud they are lying as I can never hear the thing when it is running. It is rated for 1140gph at 0 head, 714 gph through 1" tube at 4 feet of head.

Interesting feature - isolated wet rotor design - it doesn't dump heat in the water like most pumps even though it has downright silly levels of flow. where to get one? no idea now that pentair has taken over and changed the design.
seems like I paid $87 for mine.

ok, just got the mag 3, its good, just need to find that 5/8 inlet i want, i cant find any type that will fit on the threads of the inlet... anyone know where i can find a brass or nylon barb that will fit? Home depot ? etc... etc... i need the part quick as i would like to have my full w/c up by mml (million man lan)

they have brass 5/8"barb x 1/2" thread at lowes hardware -- not sure if they have nylon ones. Considering the mag3's history of screwed up impeller housings that started with a crack in the inlet fitting threads, if you can find a nylon one use that.

Overbrazil said:
not so much, i have just put some foam under the pumps.It is incredible, but the EHEIM is louder than my mag. :)
I have difficulties to believe that because my Eheim 1250 is completely silent.
It's one of the rare pumps that have a fixed impeller (no impeller rattling possible).
I can only know it runs by putting my hand on it, or, with the case closed, by the readings on the digital flowmeter I made.

pict0231.jpg

Flowmeter display in LPM on the right:
pict0190.jpg

CD :)

Back