• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Making this cpu work on this mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Roller6902

Registered
I have this CPU at hand right now.
I need to make it work on this Motherboard
My BIOS is Pheonix AwardBIOS v 5.11 (Game Booster says 6.00....)
what do you guys think?

Id try it and see.Maybe it will boot so that you can upgrade the bios.It may just read the cpu wrong.You dont have a cpu that u could use to boot it up and flash the bios to 6.00?

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ASUS/M2N68-LA_(Narra3-GL8E).html

Looks like the third poster (pdeme) found this CPU would work on this board but not recognized by the bios. He calls it a Phenom II X4 9450 but there is not such thing so he must have added a "0" to the end by mistake.

Beware, though. Working and working correctly are sometimes two different things. It may function at a minimal, safe speed which is far less than what is normal for the CPU.

At any rate, you might consider picking up an inexpensive basic AM3 board and some DDR3 ram that would give full compatibility for less than $100 as long as you don't have plans to overclock. The HP board you now have looks like it could be a standard micro ATX configuration.

Last edited:
its an am3 processor and an am2 board i would think it might.
i use a amd9150e in my board when new for first boot and bios update for the fx.
that is how i installed my sabertooth.

Well, there is no bios update for this board for almost three years, and it doesn't take
more than 95w... It should work, but maybe not at its full potential.
I agree with Trents: an am3 board, even used, is a good investment.

hhhhhmmmmmmmmm, i'll have my sabertooth out this week ,it might need a new home....

what i tried to say is that i use an am2+ cpu in an am3+ board and it works, perhaps it will work in the reverse.

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ASUS/M2N68-LA_(Narra3-GL8E).html

Looks like the third poster (pdeme) foundm this CPU would work on this board but not recognized by the bios. He calls it a Phenom II X4 9450 but there is not such thing so he must have added a "0" to the end by mistake.

Beware, though. Working and working correctly are sometimes two different things. It may function at a minimal, safe speed which is far less than what is normal for the CPU.

At any rate, you might consider picking up an inexpensive basic AM3 board and some DDR3 ram that would give full compatibility for less than $100 as long as you don't have plans to overclock. The HP board you now have looks like it could be a standard micro ATX configuration.

I did this +1... my 955BE was unsupported in my Asus M2N32SLI-Deluxe board... so I bought a $95 mobo, and a $50 set of DDR3 RAM. Works great so far.

Ok, I may have sold my gaming laptop too, and added a 256G SSD, an H80, and a GTX480GTX670 (mmm evga step-up program...) but the mobo and ram worked great out of the box :)

Last edited:
what i tried to say is that i use an am2+ cpu in an am3+ board and it works, perhaps it will work in the reverse.

Theoretically, it should not work because the socket AM2+ CPU ICM came along before DDR3 memory and a socket AM3+ motherboard would use DDR3, not DDR2. Caddi, are you sure about that?

hmm
I put it in, but, it does not show the BIOS.
I'm on the comp im tending to upgrade.
I have BIOS 5.11, and i tried to upgrade to 5.13, but it acts very stubborn.
I dont even know if upgrading to BIOS 5.13 is worth it. All it seems to do is fix issues with hibernating (at least, that's what this says)
I already tried it, im just wondering what I have to do to make it really work.

Last edited:
After you installed the new CPU, did you reset the CMOS with the jumper? You would need to do this before it can recognize any new CPU. Before you move the jumpers, power down and unplug the PSU from the wall. Make sure you put the jumper back in default position before you power back up.

Attachments

• CMOS.JPG
    CMOS.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 113
the best that i can remember thats how i got the bios update for my sabertooth.
I have the processor around here and i will check it.
the friend who helped me with the thing is in town and i will quizz him and see if he remembers clearly.
I have picked up a crosshair v to replace my sabertooth so i will be able to give it a spin in it also.

The 945 has both a ddr2 and a ddr3 controller, well, it should, like my 955be does....

Edit: it does, my un-awake mind remembered the m2n32sli-deluxe supported that proc, and thats an og am2 board. That was also the highest PII processor supported by the board... :)

Last edited:
The 945 has both a ddr2 and a ddr3 controller, well, it should, like my 955be does....

Edit: it does, my un-awake mind remembered the m2n32sli-deluxe supported that proc, and thats an og am2 board. That was also the highest PII processor supported by the board... :)

Yes, the AM3 CPUs would work both with socket AM3 and AM2+ (both DDR3 and DDR2 boards) because they have an ICM that is downwardly compatible. But socket AM2+ CPUs predated socket AM3 (DDR3) technology.

Yes, the AM3 CPUs would work both with socket AM3 and AM2+ (both DDR3 and DDR2 boards) because they have an ICM that is downwardly compatible. But socket AM2+ CPUs predated socket AM3 (DDR3) technology.

I was just saying it should work in some AM2 boards as well, but it depends on the power-side of things. The Asus M2N32SLI-Deluxe supports up to the 945 (non-BE) via a BETA BIOS, but YMMV, as the cpu info needs to be added to the bios to support it. I know on my 955BE, I could get it to post, as well as boot into windows, but BIOS would only work via PS2 keyboards, and the CPU would only boot @ 800mhz on all 4 cores (as it was unknown to the bios). To get around the 800mhz, I had to use ntune to force the 3.2ghz via multiplier, but it never really truely worked right.

I still recommend a cheap DDR3 set, and a cheap AM3+ board (see Asus M5A97... usually under 100 bones, and pretty functional...).

After you installed the new CPU, did you reset the CMOS with the jumper? You would need to do this before it can recognize any new CPU. Before you move the jumpers, power down and unplug the PSU from the wall. Make sure you put the jumper back in default position before you power back up.

i need to give that a shot.

also, should I discharge the pc before I go and do that?
(I always seem to do so anyways)

Last edited:
Sorry for the long wait and response, but i finally got around to try it.

The jumper didnt do a thing. i put the cpu and heatsink on, blank screen.
Then, I removed the CMOS battery for about 30 secs. Again, nothing.

I'm still on my old cpu.
Are there any more ideas can you bring?
Maybe I do have to update my BIOS.....

Back