• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Manually setting CPU voltage does nothing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dave559

I have an ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 board and when I go to Ai Tweaker in the bios, change CPU & NB Voltage Mode to Manual, set the CPU voltage to what I want, say 1.45, it keeps it at 1.476 in the bios and in CPU-z it says 1.464

what is going on?! lol

I have an amd phenom x6 1090t if that helps

on load it went up to 1.5v and no higher

i originally ask this because of my temps, I just overclocked for the first time, to 4ghz and my idle cpu temp is 38c and while running prime95 it got up to 62c after about 25 minutes

using corsair h50 with 2 fans, push/pull

I have an ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 board and when I go to Ai Tweaker in the bios, change CPU & NB Voltage Mode to Manual, set the CPU voltage to what I want, say 1.45, it keeps it at 1.476 in the bios and in CPU-z it says 1.464

what is going on?! lol

I have an amd phenom x6 1090t if that helps

Are your saying no matter what you manually set the voltage to it doesn't change or are you saying there is some difference in what you set it to in bios and what it actually turns out to be? The title of your string implies it doesn't change at all when you try to set it manually, i.e, " . . . it does nothing."

Are your saying no matter what you manually set the voltage to it doesn't change or are you saying there is some difference in what you set it to in bios and what it actually turns out to be?

no matter what I change the voltage to it is always the same, 1.464, unless I run prime95 then it goes up to 1.5

but no matter what I set it to in the bios it never shows up as what I set it as, always 1.464

Sounds like the bios is buggy. Is there a later one out you could flash it with?

I just updated to the newest bios version last night and started the OCing today

I was thinking it could be a buggy bios or a setting somewhere I am missing, annoying either way lol

Maybe you should restore the bios to the earlier version and see if it had the same problem.

:welcome: to OCF!

Do you get the same voltages and behavior at stock speeds?

thanks! :D

and voltages go down when at stock speeds

it's like it is still on "auto" even when I put it on manual and then change the settings

Quite is right. The M4A89GTD Pro, M4A89GTD Pro/USB3, and its cousin the M4A89TD Pro & Pro/USB3 all have a bugged LLC. If you update to the latest BIOS, it will at a more steady state.

LLC is a bit of a new feature to AMD, and Asus has had a problem trying to get it to work properly. Even with it off, the board can cause Vdroop. My suggestion is to keep it on auto. Whats going to happen is that the set voltage you assign will be your base line. The LLC will kick in once the CPU starts getting used and it will jump to a quite a bit.

I turned it off before and had the same result but that was after a lot of other tweaks, I will reset everything and start from scratch with it off and get back to you guys

thanks a lot for all the replies!

Back