• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mario Kart for the Wii

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Oh my god Oni changed his avatar.

What's going on?!?!?

Also I'm selling my Wii so no Mario Kart for me :(

They're doing that 'cause they don't HAVE to push MKWii. Anybody who owns a Wii is already going to buy that. It sells itself. Not everybody knows about WiiFit so they're pushing that instead.

This sucks. I want the mario kart and the wife wants the wii fit. This wii is getting very expensive. Oh well only money right.

I'm going to try to get it from Hollywood tonight... I forgot it had already came out or I would've looked when I was there on Saturday...

Here is an interesting read. Kotaku says for the control shceme that the Wii wheel sucks as does the GameCube controller and the best bet is the moteandchuck... anybody who has it agree or disagree?

Also, sort of disappointing that they say this game (as was Smash Bros) was developed for the Cube and had the mote scheme added on at the end...... I wonder if MP3 and SMG were too? I know Zelda was..... I'm going to do some research... That means Kart and SSBB could've came out a LONG time ago.

http://kotaku.com/384513/mario-kart-control-schemes-fight

My wife and I loved it. Brought back a lot of memories with the N64. I love the online play BTW as playing against real ppl is even better.

Here is an interesting read. Kotaku says for the control shceme that the Wii wheel sucks as does the GameCube controller and the best bet is the moteandchuck... anybody who has it agree or disagree?

i pretty much disagree.

the Wii wheel isn't THAT bad to use. they are just over exaggerating on the wheel.

Albeit i havn't tried the wii-mote + nunchuck, but the GCN controller seems to work just fine. Yes, you have to hit the D-pad to do tricks when you jump...but when you jump, you have no control on movements anyways. so lifting your finger off the joystick isn't exactly suicide. I do tricks every single jump i find with the GCN controller, and have yet to have a problem.

ontop of that, most people at gamefaqs message boards seem to agree that the GCN controller works better.

oh well, its all up to you. If you LIKE the wii wheel, then you will be good at the wii wheel.

Also, online is pretty good. though, MANY times when i try Worldwide races...i tend to get a lot more disconnects. But other than straight up disconnects, i have yet to see any lag.

PLUS, disconnects can help you too! Say your in 1st place when the game disconnects...they act as if you won the race, so you receive the full amount of points for being in 1st. I'v had it happen at the beginning of the race before the light when green once or twice. Because i came in 1st in the previous race, i was in the 1st place starting position at the beginning of the new race. Game disconnected before the light when green, and it ended up giving me the win. :D

EDIT: i'm going to give the Wii mote + Nunchuck a try, and see if it works better or not.

EDIT #2 : Ok, Wii-mote + Nunchuck is NOT my style. Trying to do wheelies is alot more annoying than the controller. I'm gonna stick with the GCN controller. It feels better in my hands too.

Last edited:
Well Hollywood didn't have it (they're getting BAD about not getting games on time) and I just don't want to give any money to Ballbuster....that is pretty much all I have around me since Movie Gallery went under and the big stores ran out the mom and pops

My wife and I loved it. Brought back a lot of memories with the N64. I love the online play BTW as playing against real ppl is even better.

I've heard a lot of really really positive reviews on the online content for this game. Comments along the line of 'maybe Nintendo is actually starting to care about online content' and things like that. How that while there are friend codes, setting up a random match is seamless, and once you put your friend codes in, you can track your friend's progress and stuff like that through an installable channel.

Basically, I've heard it's implemented very well.

Makes me wanna try it out. Wish I had some money. I've still gotta get Brawl and Okami and Guilty Gear . . . So many good games!

Also, sort of disappointing that they say this game (as was Smash Bros) was developed for the Cube and had the mote scheme added on at the end...... I wonder if MP3 and SMG were too? I know Zelda was..... I'm going to do some research... That means Kart and SSBB could've came out a LONG time ago.

There is no indication of how much redevelopment was done though and saying that it was 'just developed for the gamecube' sounds more than a little like the claim that Halflife was 'just running on a modified Quake engine' yes it's technically true, but it might be misleading.

Remember, the Wii IS a Gamecube for all intents and purposes, uses basicaly the same hardware, just smaller and faster.

Its doubtful games being released now are originaly GC games.

Splinter cell was, as was Zelda, but why would they delay Mario Kart and SSB for 18 months? Especialy since they have missed christmas sales just 5 months ago.

Nunchuck and Wiimote is an awesome control method.

Remember, the Wii IS a Gamecube for all intents and purposes, uses basicaly the same hardware, just smaller and faster.

For all intensive purposes, i have to point out that NO, the wii is NOT a slightly faster gamecube.

sure, its only a bit more powerful, but thats like saying my old AMD 2600+ processor is pretty much the same as my Opteron 165 ( dual core ), that it ONLY has 2 cores instead of one, and is 64 bit.

http://www.wiisworld.com/wii-specs.html - WII Specs

http://www.psreporter.com/gamecube_specifications.html GameCube Specs.

Since i'm about go play GTA4, i didn't rake the time to look for a single site that has both gamecube and the Wii specs, for easier comparison ( since each site reports info that the other doesn't ).

I'm just being technical here. I won't deny that the Wii is only a bit more powerful than the gamecube ( is it still about 1.5x the power of the GCN? or did that change? ). but i can't say that they are the same.

just picked it up this evening. kids are playing it and having a blast. i will play when they are at school..

Oh come now... Following my own "if you don't have anything nice to say" rule, I usually never comment in Nintendo threads. (Never even CLICKED on the Super Smash Brothers thread.) But some of these factual inaccuracies are just plain silly:

There is no indication of how much redevelopment was done though and saying that it was 'just developed for the gamecube' sounds more than a little like the claim that Halflife was 'just running on a modified Quake engine' yes it's technically true, but it might be misleading.

How the hell is that misleading? Half-Life WAS running on a modified Quake engine. That's an absolutely true, factual statement:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-Life_(video_game)

Designed for PCs running Microsoft Windows, the game uses a heavily modified version of the Quake engine, called GoldSrc.

Its doubtful games being released now are originaly GC games.

Splinter cell was, as was Zelda, but why would they delay Mario Kart and SSB for 18 months?

Splinter Cell, Zelda, and don't forget Paper Mario. As for why they would delay them: To figure out how to "attempt" online play.

But its like saying a QX9xxx is just a modified 186x
Its true, to a degree, but it kind of understates the differences.

Mario Strikers had online play, it did not take two years to add that bit to Mario Kart

I just find myself getting more and more annoyed at this game, its like they;ve taken the best bits out of the previous ones, and thrown them in the bin.

Dont get me wrong its still a good game, but I'd much rather get to play double dash for the first time again.

But its like saying a QX9xxx is just a modified 186x
Its true, to a degree, but it kind of understates the differences.

Mario Strikers had online play, it did not take two years to add that bit to Mario Kart

I just find myself getting more and more annoyed at this game, its like they;ve taken the best bits out of the previous ones, and thrown them in the bin.

Dont get me wrong its still a good game, but I'd much rather get to play double dash for the first time again.

You're missing Nintendo's entire strategy. The only sellers they HAVE are their first party titles and the system itself. All they're doing is spreading them out (and I promised myself I wouldn't keep making fun of your analogies :) ). If they released Super Smash Brothers, Mario Kart, and all their other first person games at the same time... they'd be finished. I mean what the hell would the rest of the year look like for them? (Probably exactly what it looks like now... but that's besides the point.)

They HAVE TO spread them out... otherwise their entire strategy of ONLY making money off first party titles so they can keep all the profits falls apart.

So why release Wii Fit and mario kart at the same time?

It makes sense, until you look at it and wonder, what was the wii game this christmas?

Or the more important
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_games
"This list currently contains 561 titles."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_published_by_Nintendo#Wii
That list contains about 35 titles.

Just because Agatha Cristy and The Littlest Pet Shop passed us by, doesnt mean they dont exist, there are 22 third party developers who's company name begins with a number of 'A'

There are in fact more Wii games than 360 games

Back