• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maximum performance fan configuration for my watercooling loop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

felinusz

Senior Overclocking Magus
Here's the loop:

Fedco 2-342 (Four AOC Aluminums) -> MCP600 -> Maze4-1 (172W Peltier) on GPU

There is a lot of heat being dumped into this loop by a peltier cooling a hot GPU core.

I currently use four 25mmx120mm thick AOC Evercool Aluminum fans (0.38A, 85CFM), but I am considering switching to two 38mmx120mm fans (likely big Deltas or Sanyo Denkis). The 38mm thick fans I am considering would be putting out around 100cfm-160cfm on full blast, and with much more pressure than my current 25mm thick fans.

Due to space restrictions I cannot use four 38mm thick fans unless I modify the case front a great deal.

Which would provide better performance for my loop, on 12V going full blast? Noise of the larger 38mm fans is not an issue, because I can put them on a rheo for day to day use where extreme airflow and pressure is not required. I am thinking of switching to using only two larger and more powerful fans so that I can crank them up for benching to maximize the effectiveness of the loop. Will there even be a benefit over four AOC Aluminums on 12V?

The loop is cooling a 172W peltier on a graphics card core, and during benching the loop tubing, block, and radiator are all still very warm to the touch even with my four Evercool Aluminum's on full blast. That tells me that a beefier airflow setup will have a large impact on the peltier coldside temperatures I see.

I want a very effective setup that will get my GPU as cold as possible. Since I can resell the fans I currently have, cost is not a huge factor in switching fans. My question is whether switching is worth it. Also, how great would the benefit then be if I used four 38mm thick fans instead of just 2 with all on full blast (I know how I can fit four 38mm thick fans although it would be a bit of a hassle.)?

Should I grab some larger fans?

Last edited:
felinusz said:
Here's the loop:

Fedco 2-342 (Four AOC Aluminums) -> MCP600 -> Maze4-1 (172W Peltier) on GPU

There is a lot of heat being dumped into this loop by a peltier cooling a hot GPU core.

I currently use four 25mmx120mm thick AOC Evercool Aluminum fans (0.38A, 85CFM), but I am considering switching to two 38mmx120mm fans (likely big Deltas or Sanyo Denkis). Due to space restrictions I cannot use four 38mm thick fans unless I modify the case front a great deal.

Which would provide better performance for my loop, on 12V going full blast? Noise of the larger 38mm fans is not an issue, because I can put them on a rheo for day to day use where extreme airflow and pressure is not required. I am thinking of switching to using only two larger and more powerful fans so that I can crank them up for benching to maximize the effectiveness of the loop. Will there even be a benefit over four AOC Aluminums on 12V?

The loop is cooling a 172W peltier on a graphics card core, and during benching the loop tubing, block, and radiator are all still very warm to the touch even with my four Evercool Aluminum's on full blast. That tells me that a beefier airflow setup will have a large impact on the peltier coldside temperatures I see.

I want a very effective setup that will get my GPU as cold as possible. Since I can resell the fans I currently have, cost is not a huge factor in switching fans. My question is whether switching is worth it. Also, how great would the benefit then be if I used four 38mm thick fans instead of just 2 with all on full blast (I know how I can fit four 38mm thick fans although it would be a slight hassle.)?

Should I grab some larger fans?

Your cooling for the GPU costs more than the GPU itself :)

Good luck!

Can you run 2 38mm thick fans on the pull side and then just run 2 of your 25mm thick fans on the push side? That way you could still keep 4 fans running and hopefully it will fit inside of your case.

I still think you should just skip the Pelt nonsense and do your GPU cooling properly ;).

If it's fine for you now, don't switch. I'd hate seing one of my shrouds go to waste. Most larger fans, deltas, Sanyos have a ticking so if you are concerned about noise at all, watch out for 'em.

Improvement? definately. Satisfied with your results/lazy? Don't bother.
Oh, I got some spare deltas (7-blade version of 3-blade high) sitting around if you want 'em.

Well, it is "working fine" now, but I am CERTAIN that improved loop heat capacity would have a signifigant impact on my coldside temperatures.

I am of this opinion because of how hot the water in my loop gets. The tubing is quite hot to the touch with the peltier turned on, as is the radiator and waterblock. That tells me that there is more room for heat removal - if the water is still way above ambient, more radiatorage or improved heat removal should help get that water closer to ambient (which is nearly impossible in a peltiered setup), which should in turn have a large impact on my peltier's effectiveness.

Also, I just realized that I *CAN* fit four 38mm thick fans, and with the shrouds - it would just involve removing two of the fans every time I wanted to remove the motherboard, which isn't a huge hassle. I can deal with that.

I think I'm going to pick up four 38mm thick Deltas or Sanyos.

Ive had the Sanyos and I definately say if you can find 'em, the 7blade delts vastly outperform the Sanyos. Two of the Deltas could push air through 8 hard drives and across two p3 heatsinks in my media server and you could still feel the pressure on the back of the case. a definate choice when you want performance ;)

I just picked up four 38mm thick 7-blade Delta AFB1212SHE fans. They should be here in three days. I'll post the difference I see in my unloaded peltier coldside temperature between the four 25mm AOCs and the four 38mm Deltas once they arrive.

It should be interesting to see how much of an impact three times the airflow, and a ton more air presure will have on the peltier's effectiveness.

Sewerbeing, that's an interesting chart. The push/pull benefit is indeed small.

Back