• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maximus APEX X Memory Issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
Today my board failed to POST. It would stop at Q-code "AC" (no answer in the manual) rinse and repeat eventually starting in safe mode. It appears that any time I enable XMP the board goes into this loop. It will POST and boot to windows using JEDEC. I have tried different RAM modules and different CPUs as well as both BIOS on the board and reflashing the one I was using VIA USB flashback and still, I'm getting the same behaviour. I'm starting to think the board is the issue here. Does anyone have any suggestions or insight?

Weird... from what you've described, I would think the board or slots at this point, yeah. :(

Me Too just wanted a second opinion. Thanks

One stick at a time, put each stick in each slot and see if you can pin it down to either a bad module or a bad slot.

Yes, it's a two slot board and tried both separately. Even tried booting with no RAM then inserting one stick and still the same.

You might try spraying some contact cleaner in the memory slots and CPU socket to see if that helps.

I might, I find it unlikely that was the problem though. I was trying to tune the RAM for the marathon and the weird part is it wasn't even that high of voltage switched from 4000 to 4133 CL 14 and this happened

Have you tried with IGP or a different discrete gfx card? I had something similar when I was using older Radeons. Weird issue. If cleaning contacts won't help then there are not many other options.
I've noticed that my older Samsung kits (~2 years) are sometimes acting in this way but after cleaning contacts are starting to work.

Yeah tried that too as well as replacing the PS/2 for USB mouse/kb still no love

The last check would be a detail (magnifying glass) look at the CPU pins.
Make sure you take the proper pictures (for documentation) that their was NO damage to the MB. Asus RMA can be a B** sometimes.

The last check would be a detail (magnifying glass) look at the CPU pins.
Make sure you take the proper pictures (for documentation) that their was NO damage to the MB. Asus RMA can be a B** sometimes.

Not sometimes . . . most of the time.

Sending it in today for RMA
Been a bad week for PCs in this house. The last Win10 update thoroughly trashed my wife's laptop. Got all of our data off it in safe mode but could not get it back to where it should be. In normal start up it was completly unresponsive so ended up formatting and reinstalling

Not sometimes . . . most of the time.
If this was really true, they'd be out of business. The reality is, while many have had a bad experience, an overwhelming majority had an acceptable or better RMA with ASUS. Over the last 10 years, I've used their RMA 4 times - 2 ROG parts and two TUF parts and went without issue (which is also not The Gospel). No matter who you RMA to, it is always best to snap pics to CYA.

If this was really true, they'd be out of business. The reality is, while many have had a bad experience, an overwhelming majority had an acceptable or better RMA with ASUS. Over the last 10 years, I've used their RMA 4 times - 2 ROG parts and two TUF parts and went without issue (which is also not The Gospel). No matter who you RMA to, it is always best to snap pics to CYA.

Same here, I have found ASUS to be the least painful typically.

Well, I guess my experience with Asus has been different than yours is the only thing I can say in response.

Back