• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mayday Mayday Read This Asap

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dkitt10

ok I bought BattleField Vietnam only after realize it needs a direct 9 combatible graphics card

so im sitting here with my GeForce2 MX 400 saying cursing

so im prepared to buy a new graphics card :)

I was planning on buying the Saphire Radeon 9600 pro XT

which I think would run my already eprfect games plus my beloved BF Vietnam

but my dad won't let me till he has proof that this card is combatible with our computer so heres the specs and please say yes :)

Gateway E-3600
Pentium 4 1.6 ghz my processor is a 400mhz fsb 4X100
512 mb ram
GeForce2 MX 400 (200/144)
40 gig harddrive
Intel D845PT
160 watt psu :)eek: i'm surprised my computer boots ;) don't worry i'll update after my graphic card venture)

if you have any questions all I answear you ASAP...please help this is really important too me

thanks

If I say it's not will you PLEASE get a 9800 pro for a very close price, and a huge performance difference? 9800 pro is the best 3d card out now, comparing all different aspects, and so close to the 9600xt which... is not very good. Yes they both will work. :)

Sry for my cursing that will now be accuring

****ING RIGHTS DOGGY NA NA NA BOOOOOOOYA GRANMAN **** **** ****Y RIGHT YOUA POOPY MONSTER EATER NA NA NA LALALA PPOOOPOPO YAYAYAYAYA

ok now thats outa my system i'd get the 9800 but im worried bout power cause my psu is only a 160 watt and im powering a cold cathod and a led fan also so im worried about not enough power and i'll get a psu if I have extra money but what do you think???

number one, we need to know if you have an agp slot, number 2, you really need to get at least a good antec 350Watt powersupply, if you have an agp slot and can get a 350W antec or sparkle or fortron(NO OFFBRAND, they suck) power supply, it will work.

Holy geeze...that's a lot for a poor little 160w. *shakes head* Nice job Gateway.

I agree though - get yourself a 9800. If your system can handle a 9600XT, it can probably handle a 9800 too. Both are DX9 compatible.

you need a whole new computer basically. new cpu, new psu, new ram. your old comp hasnt the power, sorry

overclocker550 are you saying that the graphic card wont work cause this is my pc till I build my 1337 one in the summer or this up coming winter

I have a agp and 3 pci slots...i'll look into 9800 and 9600 for pricing cause I am Canadian not american so prices are diff

but should I get the sapphire or go with built by ati??

ill get psu later like week or two after I get card

EDIT: o and you guys mean the 128mb version of the radeon 9800 pro right??

could you please tell me which one of thsi site I found it has some of the best prices in my area

http://castlecom.ca/product.htm?OpenDocument

(click on the graphic card picture)

Last edited:
It would work. Get the 9800 though. For which one, sapphire or ati... well both are really good I'd say go with the one that's cheaper (that's the sapphire, correct me if I'm wrong)

Definitly get a better power supply. But I guess to play games with no lag, you'd need more than just a good video card. :rolleyes:

If you get such a good card, everything else would be a bottleneck. I suggest waiting till all the new stuff comes out (around summer time) and then when the prices of the old stuff drop, get a new computer. But that's just me.

I am waiting till summer but I need something half decent till then plus when that happens im going to but this card back in and use the card in my new 1337 computer

EDIT:

k I think these ones?

SAPPHIRE RAD 9800PRO 128M DUAL (FULL) $378
SAPPHIRE RAD 9800PRO 128M DUAL (LITE) $343
SAPPHIRE RAD 9600PRO 128M DUAL (LITE) $217

what the hell is diff between full and lite im assuming asserciors?? if so full all the way

its no that bad thats two weeks of work at my part time job

EDIT#2:

for psu what bout thesse...which one??
(this one is a sparkle)
SPI 350W ATX P4 POWER SUPPLY WITH BALL BEARING FA $67
THERMALTAKE 360W ATX DUAL FAN PS $79
THERMALTAKE 420W ATX DUAL FAN PS $91
VANTEC ION 400W ATX DF W/FAN CONTROL $94

Last edited:
those prices are insane, you shouldnt pay much over $200 for a 9800 pro. you may be able to use a 9800 pro in your computer, but the cpu will very badly bottleneck, but itll still be faster than your mx440. you must get a 400w psu or better or youll kill your computer when the 160w psu blows. By the time you get a new computer so you can really enjoy games, the 9800 pro would drop in price. can it wait for a full new computer? cheaper that way

Overclocker550

but the cpu will very badly bottleneck

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

you quote this all the time, why? the vid cards that are out now are very GPU (VPU) intensive, telling everyone that their cpu is holding them back is just not totally correct.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

then this

"you need a whole new computer basically. new cpu, new psu, new ram. your old comp hasnt the power, sorry"

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

the guy comes here asking a question about vid cards and you tell him his whole system needs replacement??? i have seen you do this more than once, WTF?????????????

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

anyway, back to the question, the vid card will work in your computer, yes, the PS is lacking and it may not be up to the task of running the card properly, so BE PREPARED to replace the PS if necessary.

bummer is that 160w PS is probably one of the smaller units (size wise), and the highest watt PS i have found in that config is around 200w, not much more than what you already have. you may not be able to fit a regular sized PS in the box without a whole lot of mods, if even then.

if a normal PS fits, think to the future and the build you plan on making later this year, the new PS can come over to the new unit when it is time, and you can put the PS you now have back in the machine later on.

good luck.

baldy

Listen to what bldegle2 posted. It's good advice :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BTW: I'd MUCH rather have my CPU be the bottleneck in a system, since CPUs (compared to high end video cards) are cheap :)

My XP1800 is probably bottlenecking my 9700's performance (it is in 3DMark anyway :D), but it's still more than enough to get playable framerats. And if I ever upgrade my CPU, I get the added bonus of "free" framerates :D

JigPu

9800XT - $450
9800Pro - $220

AMD64 - 3000+ - $220
AMD64 - 3400+ - $416

Not including the FX-Line, a good processor costs the same as a good video card, and a great video card costs as much as a great processor. Basically, what I'm trying to say is you should go buy an AMD 3000+. :p

lol im planning on getting $280 next friday making my total about $800 which seems right cause 3 weeks ago I bought my laptop which costed me total bout 1500 cause of the usb key ram upgrade and the case

so yes I decided on the Sapphire Radeon 9800 pro
im going to get a 400 w psu and the maximum dimensions for this psu is 160L X 110H X 150W

and yes with what bldegle2 said I was already of planning to move psu and graphic card to new build in the summer and move back my psu and geforce2 mx 400

o and overclocker you said
Overclocker550 said:
but the cpu will very badly bottleneck, but itll still be faster than your mx440.

i have a GeForce2 MX400 not a GeForce4 MX440

im done for now

My friend had a gateway with the crapy 160w and had to buy a new one when he got a new vid card. He bought some generic 450w I think. It wasn't the same size as the gateway but it still fit. It only had 2 screws holding it in instead of the 4. He could have drilled holes in his case and used all 4 if he wanted.

Back