• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mayday Mayday Read This Asap

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Go with whichever PSU ends up being cheaper. Sparkle's PSUs (along with Fortron and the many other offbrands) are very conservatively rated. For example, the 350W Sparkle has been tested at a solid 454W of actual power output. I have never seen a similar test performed on a 400W version of the Sparkle, but I would guess that it is also conservatively rated (probably not as much as the 350W, but there is probably a difference.)

ok so ill go with sparkle 350 watt....

this one right?

SPI 350W ATX P4 POWER SUPPLY WITH BALL BEARING FA $67

so then my new thigns would be

SPI 350W ATX P4 POWER SUPPLY WITH BALL BEARING FA $67
SAPPHIRE RAD 9800PRO 128M DUAL (FULL) $378
SAPPHIRE RAD 9800PRO 128M DUAL (LITE) $343

what does full/lite mean???!?!

how many accerious it has??

Yes, go with that supply. You should have no problems with that power supply.

The difference between Full/Lite is the same as the difference between Retail/OEM. Full (Retail) basically means that the card comes with all cables, extra accesories, any games that may be included, and a pretty retail box to boot. Lite (OEM) basically means that you get the card in a standard box with maybe a driver CD and some cables.

I recently had a thread "wait or jump in" and oc550 had some good points about cpu bottle necking. my game rig, not really a blazing rig (dual amd mp2000) I ran 3dmark2001se and got a score of 9010 everything stock (video card gf4 ti-4600) then a friend let me borrow an extra cpu he had laying around ,poped in an single xp 2800 in cpu socket0 and ran 3dmark again. my score jumped to 11150. Thats quite an increase an pondered whether buy 2 new mp2800 and keep my old gf4-4600 or get the 9800pro. I ended up doing neither, I bought a used 9700 pro (which is not that far behind the 9800pro) at $120 and went to 2 mp2600.

I speak from experience on cpu bottlenecks. your talking to a guy who started with a geforce3 ti500 in a 504MHz celeron, then 1GHz tbird and ti4600, in fact overclocking the ti4600 gained me nothing in games nor 3dmark so I just left it stock and resold it, the ti4200 was just as fast in games

I was told the leadtek a250 i had was a good over clocker. with the right touches, it could beat my current 9700 pro.

but guys ur missing the point I dont care if I have a huge bottleneck as long as their is some nice improvment which there will be

im going to be moving this into a new rig later on and no I dont care about waiting too buy it then I want it NOWWWWW :)

Overclocker550 said:
I speak from experience on cpu bottlenecks. your talking to a guy who started with a geforce3 ti500 in a 504MHz celeron, then 1GHz tbird and ti4600, in fact overclocking the ti4600 gained me nothing in games nor 3dmark so I just left it stock and resold it, the ti4200 was just as fast in games

Yes but comparing a 1.6ghz P4 to a 500 mhz Celeron isn't exactly fair. Your Celeron is nearly 7 years old and stopped meeting minimum requirements for even mediocre games 3 years ago.

Not to mention that today most games (and I am speaking of actual newer games not 3dmark01 or QuakeIII) are far more dependant on the video card than the cpu.

Buying a card now and then buying a new card when he gets his new computer (which seems a couple months off) would just be dumb, even if the 9800 price drops by 50$ then it would still cost more to buy both the 9800 and the 4200 than to just get the 9800 now.

Although 2los's idea of buying a used 9700Pro isn't a bad idea as the difference between it and the 9800Pro can mostly be made up by overclocking and tweaking and isn't that big in the first place. To be honest, you could save quite a bit of money that way.

What I basically tried to say earlier was that more and more games are more dependent on the video card rather than the proc. The required has stayed around 1ghz proc for quite some time vs the required vga cards have bumped up to a whole new lvl and eventually another level.
I checked a few newer games the required cpu is like 1.4ghz. You should notice a fairly large difference in some games when using a 9800pro, however if you upgraded your proc and card at the same time you would notice a larger difference in everything and feel that the 9800 wasn't a waste of money. You wouldn't buy a $200 card put it in and have to try to see a difference there would be.

to be honest, you will not notice a difference between agp8x or 4x. and as for heatsink material, who cares what it is made out of, get the best performing heatsinks. for the radeons, it is the vga silencer by arctic cooling.

I dont remember what kind of coolng gateway was known for, yet the last gateway computer i saw only had 1 fan, and that was the PSU. I recommend making a 80mm whole on your side case right next to your AGP slot to keep the 9800 pro running cool.

Overclocker550 said:
agp 4x and agp 8x are the same speed. the problem is the slower the cpu, the more itll bottleneck a 9800 pro. even my ti4200 is being bottlenecked by my cpu which is near a stock xp3200! my fps in games across the board improved when I upgraded my pally to this tbred and when I stick this ti4200 in my a64, fps will improve once again. One thing youll get that I wont is aa/af :)

you are VID CARD bottlenecked not proccesor bottlenecked. mica has tried and tried to explain this to you. you said when you overclock your cpu you get like 1 3dmark for every 100mhz, or something like that... well that tells me that your vid cards limited, let me shoot a pm to mica, and get him in here to explain this, so you stop spouting FALSE info.

in all reality, OC550 said he gets no more then only 1 extra frame for every 100mhz increase in "Q3A"....

if that's not a vid card bottleneck, I don't know what is.
he should be getting about 10fps increase for every 100mhz jump in cpu speed, with a cpu bottlenecked system.

anyway, I hope that dkitt10 gets a new 9800pro and PSU....
both can be used in a new system he's building soon.

mica

The 350 watt fortron/sparkle will be more than sufficient. I have one running in my second rig listed in the sig and it also powered my first rig for over 6 months without a hitch. Both of those rigs suck far more juice than your Gateway I have no doubt.

ok guys you are wrong.

I gain 2 3dmarks per MHz increase in the cpu. never tried the increase in quake3. I gain 1fps in u2004 per 100MHz cpu increase. how bout I try quake3 at 640x480 fastest setting with my cpu at max, at 1GHz and 1.5GHz all using the same fsb? 200 for all cpu speeds tested. I will gain much more going from 1GHz to 1.5 than 1.5 to 2GHz

hmmmm....my gate way has a psu intkae fan my graphic card fan my cpu fan plus I added one for an outtake in the back

I live my case side open cause my parents wont let me cut her up so I may just use a clip or something and hold one in place blowing air out from graphic card

im guessing your old video card had passive cooling or needed very little air flow to keep it cool. the 9800 pro is a whole different ball game. I strongly suggest you have a decent intake from the front of your computer and at least cut out your out take grill for better air flow

Just ran a couple of benchmarks. The only difference between the 1.6 and the 2.2 was the mult was lowered from 11 to 8. The bus was left at 200. Driver was left on image quality and default speeds 400/800. Used 56.45 driver
Barton clocked at 2.2ghz
Nature
79.6 with no aa/af
13.1 with 8x aa and 8x af
At 1.6ghz
Nature
77.8 with no aa/af
13.2 with 8x aa and 8x af
Car Chase
2.2ghz
218.4 low detail no aa or af
71.3 high detail no aa or af