• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mayday Mayday Read This Asap

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
o ya lol I clicked it then I had to go clean something i'll do that now :)

this worked out well actully yesterday I bought one of thos vantec sleving kits so i can use it on my new psu instead of my 160 watt

ok he said
larva said:
In closing let me say I have personally constructed in excess of 7000 PC's, and have never built one that the 350W FSP/Sparkle would not power

is this the one he is referring to?

SPI 350W ATX P4 POWER SUPPLY WITH BALL BEARING FA $67

http://www.amastore.com/sparfs350wat.html

at this site its $33 isnt that a bit unexpensive for a psu that is really good like larva said...or should I go with the 400 watt model??

EDIT: and for my Sapphire Radeon 9800 pro which is the best air cooling device to use with it

im planning too put heatsinks on all of the memory and stuff so I can have a nice oc but which is the better materil for these heat sinks aluminum or copper??

and again when sayign which cooler please say one off of here
http://castlecom.ca/product.htm?OpenDocument

ty

read a little farther, after it says edit. he said a fortron 530, or antec 420 i believe. but thats only if your going after some extremem overclocking. he also said a 350 watt sparkle/fortron would suffice, but it may not do very well if you over clocking.

the best heatsink for your 9800 would be the vga silencer by arctic cooling. and yes the fortron/sparkle 350 watt psu arent all that expensive, but they are great performers.

ok well in your opnion pick a psu for me I want around 400 watt and I wanna spend most in the $120 range im thinking sparkle 400 do you agree?

EDIT: this one right? http://xoxide.com/vgasilencer.html

ok ill get it

and once again whihc heatsink materil should I use for all of my memory mabobs?
aluminum or copper? or any other materil?

Last edited:
afternoon bumb

ok well in your opnion pick a psu for me I want around 400 watt and I wanna spend most in the $120 range im thinking sparkle 400 do you agree?

EDIT: this one right? http://xoxide.com/vgasilencer.html

ok ill get it

and once again whihc heatsink materil should I use for all of my memory mabobs?
aluminum or copper? or any other material?

Just so you know if it hasn't been said all ready. Using the 9600XT or the 9800pro on that motherboard means you will not get the full use of the card. For the simple fact both cards are 8x AGP and the mobo is most likely has a 4x AGP slot.

A gf3 or 8500 can play the new bf. For $30 bucks or so you can temporarily patch your system until u get around to ur new pc.
Here is what someone else is getting with a system somewhat similar

64MB Geforce 3 TI200 around 45-50fps on low settings 1024x768x32@85Hz
P4 1.7, 512MB PC2100 DDR, Azza P4X266A.

Last edited:
agp 4x and agp 8x are the same speed. the problem is the slower the cpu, the more itll bottleneck a 9800 pro. even my ti4200 is being bottlenecked by my cpu which is near a stock xp3200! my fps in games across the board improved when I upgraded my pally to this tbred and when I stick this ti4200 in my a64, fps will improve once again. One thing youll get that I wont is aa/af :)

Your proc is only going to hold you back so much..
I originally had a barton 2500 oc'd to 2.2ghz with something like a 175bus 512ddr. Got a dif mobo (same cihipset) got bus up to 225 and was running 2.4 still and went to 1 gig ddr dual channel. I gained 5 3dmarks in 03. Of course I gained considerably more in 01.
However it is pretty funny that it takes a 300mhz cpu to run the same game an atari ran.... which is was clocked around 7mhz?

Yes.

At this point your computer is being choked by your video card.

What OC550 is trying to say is that if/when you do buy a new card your system will be a large bottleneck to performance.

That isn't to say that you won't get huge performance increases (because you will) but you won't get nearly as much as you would if you had a new system.

I'm sure what he wants you to do is buy a Ti4200 (I think he may be getting commission :p j/k) for around 100$ and use that until it doesn't play the newest games.

While a Radeon 8500 ro Ti4200 will certainly play Battlefield Vietnam they are yesterday's technology (and by yesterday I mean 2 years ago's technology) while your MX400 is almost 5-6 years old.

If you plan to keep the card you buy when you build your next system then get a 9800 it will serve you well for another couple years whereas the 8500/4200's will struggle at anything higher than 800x600 in tomorrow's games like HL2 and DoomIII.

he would be better off buying the 9800 pro at the same time he gets his new system, price drop for one reason. second is he wont enjoy his 9800 pro fully in his 1.6GHz p4. I got my ti500 when I had a 504MHz celeron and it was no faster than my geforce2mx except in 1600x1200. this forced me to upgrade my entire rig a week later

dude stop persuading me all I care about is a nice huge performance boost over my geforce 2 mx 400 I know I wont be using it fully and I realize I have bottlenecks but I dont care if I use my full card

plus I have some dough to spend so i've made my desicion I just need to know about psu

should I get the sparkle 350 watt or sparkle 400 watt or if neither which one I only wanna spend roughly $120 canadian

Back