• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MedRed's Watercooled i7: Ice Ice Baby

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
out of curiosity, why not use 2 45's instead of a 90 to make the turns? admittedly, it'd cost more, but I'm sorta worried about the flow, it was a great loop with 1 pump, a second one is just sorta unnecessary (the money could've gone to 45's :D)

I actually have a ton of 45's and could do 45's. Aesthetically, they don't look as good and take up a good deal more room. I want to see what cooling hit I take with the 90's and then adjust accordingly. I already had a second pump mpc655 that's just been sitting around in its box.

No, I changed them to your settings to compare the results, normally 1.30625 vcore and 1.475v QPI for 4.2GHz and 1603MHz with a 1.6v QPI for 2005MHz.

Those are awfully high voltages even for 5GHz (QPI wise I mean)

Also QPI should only need to scale up like that if you are not running stock 4.8GT and running your ram to 2K

VTT needs more volts than QPI and even that is sick way out of line type of voltages.

Are you thinking of something else maybe? (one of the 1.5v stock voltages like ioh core maybe?)

You can overnight that second pump to me. Donations are always accepted for my, as of yet built, gpu loop. :lol:

LOL... I was going to sell it, but I'm not opposed to using it if I take a huge hit from the elbows. I'm crossing my fingers that the one vario will be enough.

Those are awfully high voltages even for 5GHz (QPI wise I mean)

Also QPI should only need to scale up like that if you are not running stock 4.8GT and running your ram to 2K

VTT needs more volts than QPI and even that is sick way out of line type of voltages.

Are you thinking of something else maybe? (one of the 1.5v stock voltages like ioh core maybe?)

For some reason this board and processor need a huge amount of juice to get it over 4ghz and run the ram at 2000MHz or higher. I dropped back to 4.0GHz and 1531MHz and I'm running nice and cool now.

I just swapped some of the 90's for 45's. It's coming along quite nicely. I need to wait for my new res before I can start the pump going. I have to say, it's had for me not to add some uv to this rig. I'm going to stay the course and stay with straight distilled.

P.S. 45's are a PITA to get them tight and face the same way

I just swapped some of the 90's for 45's. It's coming along quite nicely. I need to wait for my new res before I can start the pump going. I have to say, it's had for me not to add some uv to this rig. I'm going to stay the course and stay with straight distilled.

P.S. 45's are a PITA to get them tight and face the same way

you could pretty easily use some uv tubing.

yeah... my white tubing was supposed to be UV blue, but did a pretty terrible job at it. I can't use tubing with this "plumbing" scheme as it won't support the weight of the fittings.

After a few tweaks... It's messy I know. I need to get the res in so I can clean everything up. Plumbing to the res will be interesting. I'm up for the challenge!

5xud8i.jpg

vzg6tw.jpg

4uxog6.jpg

dqhcea.jpg

v75mvq.jpg

hx9186.jpg

Looking very nice. I think you have more $$ tied up in fittings then I have in my whole loop. :p I know what you mean by figuring out hooking up the res. I seem to go "this is what I want to do now how the hell am I going to do it" a lot. It always seems so much easier in my head. :D

Thanks Twigbutt! Yeah I'm worried about plumbing the res. I A) hope it fits the space and B ) hope I can plumb it without adding too much restriction (I've already added a lot). Including shipping, I have over a grand in fittings on my living room floor!

I started this upgrade process in August. I've had a TON of delays.
I waited for my res until October. I hooked everything up... but my flow was a lot slower than I wanted. You can imagine that after all those 90 degree bends, there'd be flow issues. It was enough to cool the loop during gaming, but I did not want to risk a stress test.

I had a spare, unopened mpc655. So I ordered a bitspower dual pump top.

ex-pmp-100.jpg

So what happened? the system seemed to move water fine while it was being filled... As soon as it was full, I was getting a trickle for flow... and I mean a TRICKLE. I was obviously confused as 1 pump was slow flow... why would 2 pumps be no flow?

I decided it might be the pump top so I ordered a white EK dual pump top
ex-pmp-96.jpg
and the results? SAME THING!

So now I'm really confused. I'm thinking that I might need to go back to separate pump tops. I already had a bitspower top with a custom dress kit... so I ordered another one...

sidewindercomputers_2133_20972564

So... that didn't work either -__-

I tried one pump like I'd originally started with... and once again ended up with a trickle...And this was with the NEWER PUMP! I was about to go back to tubing.

I was totally frustrated at that point. I was having to fill my res with a syringe with the rig turned on its side. It was not easy to drain, and I had to fill the res, start the system, turn it off, fill, on, off, fill.. ect..

I took apart all of the plumbing. I blew into my blocks/radiators and noticed no restriction. That put away my fears of gunked up radiators

I decided to take a look at the pumps. I hooked them up without a top on my secondary pc... I noticed that the OLD pump spun a little faster than the spare, unopened pump that I'd added to the system. I didn't know if that was the issue, but I tried one last hail mary

I ordered a new mpc655 and ran both pumps in the bitspower block... GUESS WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT?!?!?! It works!!!!!

Now I'm getting way more flow than I originally had on this system, So I'm obviously expecting lower temperatures.

I'm going to use the dual EK white pump top. My GPU waterblock is EK... so why not go with an EK CPU block? So I upgraded to an EK Nickel/acrylic block.

ex-blc-719_5.jpg

I think the system looks pretty sick with the new upgrades.

Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to actually run the system as my Koolance Flowmeter started leaking. It was a tremendous help in figuring out what was going on with my system. I sent in an RMA for it. I also went with some Indigo Xtreme TMI. We'll see how that works out as well. I'll post some pics after it's all back together again.

I'm happy to put this mystery to rest. I would have never expected that the new pump was defective
It is TOUGH not adding some dye with all of this clear tubing. I built the system with UV lights all over the place. It'd be too easy to slip a little dye in. I just don't want to clog up my blocks.

Man. more than $12.73 in fittings on that rig. It looks amazing! Awesome work!

To fix the color issue, I saw some trick colored glasses at a party supply store.

Being a clear case, white rads, colored liquid would be sooo cool. But you'd look at it a few times and say neato, WOW. Then look at the monitor the rest of the time. Your gonna display it? Then dye and live with it. Home rig? Plain Jane.

Cudos, amazing setup.

im really curious about the 655 pump tops...
do they help, more pressure, more flow? or just ease of fitting and asthetics?
was thinking of getting the dual pump top for my rig..

Man. more than $12.73 in fittings on that rig. It looks amazing! Awesome work!

To fix the color issue, I saw some trick colored glasses at a party supply store.

Being a clear case, white rads, colored liquid would be sooo cool. But you'd look at it a few times and say neato, WOW. Then look at the monitor the rest of the time. Your gonna display it? Then dye and live with it. Home rig? Plain Jane.

Cudos, amazing setup.

Thanks conumdrum! I did spend a few bucks on fittings... lol I will have a lot of stuff to sell once I finally complete this build. I think I'll just keep it clear with no dye. I really don't want to deal with any gunk in the system.

im really curious about the 655 pump tops...
do they help, more pressure, more flow? or just ease of fitting and asthetics?
was thinking of getting the dual pump top for my rig..

I can't compare the difference in pressure between using a top or not. I originally bought a pump top because the top the 655 came with had fixed inlets and outlets, and I needed to use fittings to keep my aesthetic.

the dual pump top is definitely better than using two pump separately as you aren't adding anymore bends and/or tubing to the loop. I know my loop is really restrictive. The crystal link tubing is a lot thinner that the tubing I was originally using and I have a ton of bends that I didn't have before. The dual pumps are moving water faster than when I had the original tubing set up.

very nice setup medred. i have a torture rack that i'm building up similar to shaaza and i was wondering how do you like your resevoir? I loved the Primochill Typhoon III Rev A. concept but it has terrible reviews for leaking.

Thanks soilentblue. I ened up going with the latest frozenq res. It took awhile to get it, but so far it's awesome. I haven't had a chance to run it much because of my flow woes.

107m3xg.jpg

Ah nice. I hope it works out well for you and glad to see the issue with the pumps is fixed. I think I am going to try out the XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay Reservoir w/ 655.

thanks soilentblue. I was going to go with that res, but I wanted a little more pop in the res department.

Thanks soilentblue. I ened up going with the latest frozenq res. It took awhile to get it, but so far it's awesome. I haven't had a chance to run it much because of my flow woes.

107m3xg.jpg

I see a mac!!! You better pick a different forum boy!!! ;)

Srsbsns, I love your build, still one I come back to look at and refer people to pretty regularly!

Back