• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory Dumps/BSOD- Software crashing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Crashing-what's causing it

I have had a crash with the BSOD. The screen was on so briefly, I couldn't read what the error.

I ran the software WhoCrashed. I copied and pasted the following
I haven't changed or added any software in months.

Any ideas?

On Mon 4/30/2012 6:41:05 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini043012-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: win32k.sys (win32k+0x603E8)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFFBF8603E8, 0xFFFFFFFFA8610B48, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\win32k.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Multi-User Win32 Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

Viper, I've merged all three of your threads since they seem to be directly related. Please only create one thread per topic. This prevents people from giving the same answer twice and creating confusion.

Viper, I've merged all three of your threads since they seem to be directly related. Please only create one thread per topic. This prevents people from giving the same answer twice and creating confusion.

Thanks! It was only until AFTER I posted that I realized I had another thread on this, sorry :-/ I'll check the my posts link in the future to make sure before I post! :D

This problem is really frustrating, esp because so much work is done on the net, and it could just crash. Then I have to load everything up all over again. I had 2 FF crashes w/in minutes, with a BSOD to top it off.

I completely know how frustrating it can be. My Core2 system has been randomly crashing for months with absolutely no pattern at all. I just built a new computer because I got fed up with it and couldn't figure it out.

I completely know how frustrating it can be. My Core2 system has been randomly crashing for months with absolutely no pattern at all. I just built a new computer because I got fed up with it and couldn't figure it out.

Well this crashing all started to happen I think Jan when I upgraded to a new version of FireFox. I'm not saying that's the reason.

In any event my current rig is so ancient that I was going to build a new one. The recent crashes have just further provided ammo for reasons to build a new one.

I'm going with i5, but waiting to see if the chips drop in price w/the release of Ivy Bridge, plus I'm waiting to see reviews on z77 chipset mATX boards.

I'm so upset w/this crashing nonsense though.

FF just crashed, JUST as I posted the message.

I can almost predict when it happens. Things are fine, then I heard the hard drive all of a sudden get really busy, FF becomes unresponsive, and POOF it crashes. OR, this time, my KAV 2012 gets unloaded from memory and is disabled. The KAV doesn't always crash though.

BUT the hard drive increasing in activity does typically happen.

What does the SMART data say about the drive(s)? You can use HDTune to read health information ("Health" tab). Post a screenshot please.

What does the SMART data say about the drive(s)? You can use HDTune to read health information ("Health" tab). Post a screenshot please.

Just installed it, and it crashed! Here's the crash report below. Will restart HDTune

Post a screenshot how? Did you mean via web link after I upload it somewhere??

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
<DATABASE>
<EXE NAME="HDTune.exe" FILTER="GRABMI_FILTER_PRIVACY">
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="HDTune.exe" SIZE="401408" CHECKSUM="0xA00CCF9" BIN_FILE_VERSION="2.5.5.0" BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="2.5.5.0" PRODUCT_VERSION="2, 5, 5, 0" FILE_DESCRIPTION="HD Tune" COMPANY_NAME="EFD Software" PRODUCT_NAME="HD Tune" FILE_VERSION="2, 5, 5, 0" ORIGINAL_FILENAME="HDTune.EXE" INTERNAL_NAME="HD Tune" LEGAL_COPYRIGHT="Copyright (C) 2003-2008" VERFILEDATEHI="0x0" VERFILEDATELO="0x0" VERFILEOS="0x4" VERFILETYPE="0x1" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0x0" LINKER_VERSION="0x0" UPTO_BIN_FILE_VERSION="2.5.5.0" UPTO_BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="2.5.5.0" LINK_DATE="02/09/2008 14:17:44" UPTO_LINK_DATE="02/09/2008 14:17:44" VER_LANGUAGE="English (United States) [0x409]" />
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="unins000.exe" SIZE="682266" CHECKSUM="0x34F983C0" BIN_FILE_VERSION="51.44.0.0" BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="51.44.0.0" PRODUCT_VERSION="" FILE_DESCRIPTION="Setup/Uninstall" COMPANY_NAME="" PRODUCT_NAME="Inno Setup" FILE_VERSION="51.44.0.0" ORIGINAL_FILENAME="" INTERNAL_NAME="" LEGAL_COPYRIGHT="Copyright (C) 1997-2006 Jordan Russell. Portions Copyright (C) 2000-2006 Martijn Laan." VERFILEDATEHI="0x0" VERFILEDATELO="0x0" VERFILEOS="0x4" VERFILETYPE="0x1" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0x0" LINKER_VERSION="0x0" UPTO_BIN_FILE_VERSION="51.44.0.0" UPTO_BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="51.44.0.0" LINK_DATE="06/19/1992 22:22:17" UPTO_LINK_DATE="06/19/1992 22:22:17" VER_LANGUAGE="English (United States) [0x409]" />
</EXE>
<EXE NAME="kernel32.dll" FILTER="GRABMI_FILTER_THISFILEONLY">
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="kernel32.dll" SIZE="989696" CHECKSUM="0x2D998938" BIN_FILE_VERSION="5.1.2600.5781" BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="5.1.2600.5781" PRODUCT_VERSION="5.1.2600.5781" FILE_DESCRIPTION="Windows NT BASE API Client DLL" COMPANY_NAME="Microsoft Corporation" PRODUCT_NAME="Microsoft® Windows® Operating System" FILE_VERSION="5.1.2600.5781 (xpsp_sp3_gdr.090321-1317)" ORIGINAL_FILENAME="kernel32" INTERNAL_NAME="kernel32" LEGAL_COPYRIGHT="© Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved." VERFILEDATEHI="0x0" VERFILEDATELO="0x0" VERFILEOS="0x40004" VERFILETYPE="0x2" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0xFE572" LINKER_VERSION="0x50001" UPTO_BIN_FILE_VERSION="5.1.2600.5781" UPTO_BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="5.1.2600.5781" LINK_DATE="03/21/2009 14:06:58" UPTO_LINK_DATE="03/21/2009 14:06:58" VER_LANGUAGE="English (United States) [0x409]" />
</EXE>
</DATABASE>

Last edited:
No, use the Health tab. Post a screenshot of it here.

I have the image.

I don't know how to make the image appear in the post itself.

url]

Do you have another hard drive to move your data to? While that health report doesn't say something is failing outright, it is something to try.

Do you have another hard drive to move your data to? While that health report doesn't say something is failing outright, it is something to try.

Do you mean try a different drive for the computer? No I don't have another. I have an external backup drive that I bought. But no spare internal HDs

In my WhoCrashed reports I see nothing related to hardware.

Someone else suggested maybe I need to OC my video card a bit ever since Firefox introduced hardware acceleration. There is a feature in FF to turn it off.

But even after my upgrade from FF 3.5 to 7.0 I didn't see any problems for months.

Whatever is going on started in about January. Firs FF, then a few BSODs, and then KAV (but that may be a KAV issue, as I've seen the error in earlier versions).

Something is definitely wrong however.

In your reports, it is saying it doesn't know what crashed, either. If you are at a point in troubleshooting where you don't know what to do, you need to start replacing parts that you haven't suspected yet.

In your reports, it is saying it doesn't know what crashed, either. If you are at a point in troubleshooting where you don't know what to do, you need to start replacing parts that you haven't suspected yet.

In the latest reports, the crashes are software related to windows it seems.

If I have to start replacing parts for this computer, that doesnt make much sense money wise, as I'm going to build a new one.

This is frustrating.

I looked into the Device Manager and found a yellow question mark over the Ethernet Controller. I don't recall seeing this before, so a few days ago, I disabled it in the Device Manager. I have no idea what this is for as when it's disabled, I see no changes in my computer.

Being disabled, I don't know if it would cause problems.

When it's enabled, I see a black/yellow exclamation point. This is the only thing I can think of that is different.

I see the following message under its properties

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.

This is its location
PCI Slot 3 (PCI bus 2, device 1, function 0)

Last edited:
If it is just missing drivers, then it won't be an issue if it is enabled or not.

I hate to say it, but you are nearly in the exact same situation I was a couple weeks ago. I don't want to discourage you and I hope that you figure this out.

If it is just missing drivers, then it won't be an issue if it is enabled or not.

I hate to say it, but you are nearly in the exact same situation I was a couple weeks ago. I don't want to discourage you and I hope that you figure this out.

I making a new build. I sure would like to know what's wrong though. I'm not about to wipe the drive clean and reinstall everything if it's an unknown hardware issue either.

Well, considering the time that you've put into troubleshooting it thus far, a reinstall is short. :-/

I know the pain of reinstalling an OS from scratch. Arch Linux gives me a command line (no UI) after the install, so I have to go through and install/compile application by hand then configure them. Not only that, I'm doing it on my laptop at the same time.

I think it's my memory. I'm going to post in the memory forum my findings.

Back