• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory Issue? Motherboard Issue? No Issue?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Calikitz

Recently built a new rig. I had two sticks of Corsair DDR3 1333 Ram lying around beforehand so I just stuck those in. I had to set the speed of the ram to auto tune in my bios because for some reason when I stuck them in there and booted it up the computer kept freezing at the windows screen. After I changed the speed it was fine though until I started having strange issues with my computer randomly freezing when I would do things such as browsing the web or opening folders, but never during gaming. The freezes was inevitable too, and seemed to get more and more frequent as time went on.

Beforehand I was not using a legit copy of Windows 7 because I was waiting on buying the real deal. I think it may have had viruses on it because after about three days of use it set my date to 2080 and the time an hour back and did many other strange things. Since then I bought the OEM version of Windows 7 Ultimate and am no longer having those types of problems.

My friend bought two sticks of cheap value Adata DDR3 the other night so out of curiousity I popped them in to see if they would work right off the bat. My computer booted up fine and they worked, for about a hour... I had to do a restart after an update and after restarting my computer would go directly to the bios screen and freeze, allowing me to do literally nothing. I unplugged all components out of my PC and still no luck. After doing that though, now my monitor would not get a video signal. Then I looked and noticed that my red LED DRAM light was on in my motherboard indicating an error with the ram. I took that ram out and put my Corsair back in and my computer is working fine now for the last two days, no problems with anything whatsoever aside from having to set the speed to autotune to get it to work. The strange thing about this though is that Adata ram which gave me the DRAM light is now in my friends computer and he has no problems with it, his computer is running fine. Is some ram bad on some motherboards but not on others? Weirdest thing ever.

What do you guys think? Should I be happy that it is working now and forget about it, or should I return the motherboard for a new one just in case something is wrong? I doubt anything is though since it is working just fine now and the dram light is not on with my Corsair. I am a bit paranoid though since I spent all of this money, though most of my problems early on were probably attributed to the fake Windows 7.

Here are my specs by the way:

i5 760
Asus P755D-E Evo
Corsair DDR3 4 GB
Radeon HD 5870
Antec Earthwatts 650 watt power supply

Thanks in advance.

I started having strange issues with my computer randomly freezing when I would do things such as browsing the web or opening folders, but never during gaming.

Probably a bad HDD

-or-

Vcore higher than default when NOT overclocking => This one apparently can cause this issue.

(Solution: DO NOT increase the Vcore when the processor frequency is stock!)

Lowering the Vcore may stop the freezes with stock processor clocks.

Back