• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory only overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

digitaltrance

Hello everyone!

Is it possible just clock the memory via XMP? If you if you clock the memory the CPU needs to be clocked too?
I just got some Corsair Vengeance 4266 C19 mem but when I go into the check it's running at 2133. I have a i9-9900K - I know I can push it, but don't really want to now.

I tried doing just the memory to XMP instead of auto; however the it wouldn't post, the mobo would turn on an off a couple of times but nothing after that. Just have to reset it to defaults again to get running.

Thanks in advance!

2133 is the default setting for compatibility reasons. The problem is that with such high memory speeds, you'll need to adjust some settings other than xmp to reach them. If you bought more in the sweetspot (3600 or so) that would work just settings xmp. Unless you're benchmarking that fast of ram isn't worth the price of admission. Your options are to...

1. Tweak settings and try to get 4266 working...
2. Set timings manually (around 3600 amd tweak timings)...
3. Return this kit for a 3600 kit that is more plug and play.

it is likely just that your CPU can't run memory that fast. That is some pretty fast memory!
1. load optimized defaults then reset.
2. load xmp and reset. if it power cycles you likely can't run at those speeds.

3. follow those steps again but after you load XMP try manually changing your speed to 3600mhz and reset and see if that boots.
4. increase speed until it fails back it off until it boots and report back.

it is likely just that your CPU can't run memory that fast. That is some pretty fast memory!
1. load optimized defaults then reset.
2. load xmp and reset. if it power cycles you likely can't run at those speeds.

3. follow those steps again but after you load XMP try manually changing your speed to 3600mhz and reset and see if that boots.
4. increase speed until it fails back it off until it boots and report back.

100% what I was gonna do :) - I was gonna see if I can push it, but not a big deal. I can use the sticks on the next build if anything.

Thanks!!

Back