• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JDMStanced

My pc has been giving a blue screen. I did a memtest and THOUSANDS of errors popped.
So now im planning to upgrade memory sticks.
I need a lot faster memory that will work also when i upgrade for more core cpu and better MB in the future.

I found these two on micro center. How are these?
Better suggestion?

crucial ballistix sport lt 32
g.skill aegis 32gb

These are the errors i got on memtest
225C7561-6FC5-4DB5-8367-9188E3CB1EB4_zpsbeew9egu.jpeg
D9122583-9279-4FAE-A60A-B325A3D6827A_zpsas6j7wt0.jpeg

Last edited:
Do you need more memory or faster memory? You said faster but listed ram sticks with more memory.

Could you please upload your images to this site? They appear very blurry and have a large watermark on them.

The first thing you should do is restore default settings (removing all XMP, overclocks, etc) to your BIOS and test the sticks one at a time in each slot. As it is unlikely that both sticks have gone bad, this will help you confirm if it is a bad stick of RAM (you can still replace the entire kit, but you need to know), or if there is another problem i.e. motherboard/cpu etc. If one stick tests bad in every slot, while the other works, then you know for sure and can buy more RAM. If both sticks test bad in a specific slot, then you know it's probably a motherboard issue, and you could even try to use your existing kit in different slots. Finally if it seems completely random, it could be motherboard, CPU, or the unlikely event of having two bad sticks at once.

Once you've confirmed that it's the memory, why do you need 32GB? Do you perform any task which utilizes more than 16GB? You'll want to confirm that 32GB is supported by your system. 16GB is plenty for most users. For speed you'll want to get the fastest memory that your CPU can run easily (i.e. enabling XMP and forget it). I don't know what that number is for Devil's Canyon specifically, but it appears that 2133 is already pretty good for DDR3.

For things i do, i need fast cpu and ram. Currently not doing intensive work, cpu and memory sits around 50%.
I use photoshop, 3d model, and more. I feel uncomfortable with the set up now because i feel it slow.
I bought my system about 4 yrs ago? It is time for some upgrade

Attachments

• 8D3C1F58-09E2-4FCF-A895-652C61275621.jpeg
    8D3C1F58-09E2-4FCF-A895-652C61275621.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 277
Thank you for re-posting that. For a long time a memory capacity upgrade was an easy way to improve the feel of the system, but currently that usually isn't the problem. If you're not using much more than 8GB then you don't need 32GB. Are you planning to do something more intensive following the upgrade? I'm sure with errors like that it does feel slow.

Thank you for re-posting that. For a long time a memory capacity upgrade was an easy way to improve the feel of the system, but currently that usually isn't the problem. If you're not using much more than 8GB then you don't need 32GB. Are you planning to do something more intensive following the upgrade? I'm sure with errors like that it does feel slow.

i'm using up 100% of 8 GB. i need more capacity and speed.
I do 3D modeling, rendering (fast rendering would be nice), run A LOT of tasks on google, photoshop, multiple apps at once, and such.

once of the guys at Micro center recommended these parts,
ASRock X399 Taichi TR4 ATX AMD MB - 289$
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2920X 3.5ghz 12 core TR4 - $299
Enermax Ligtech TR4 2 280mm RGB water cooling kit - $149
G.skill Ripjaws V 32gb DDR4-3200 - $149

$30 off on MB if i buy CPU and MB at Micro Center.
Total price is steep to be honest though.. but 12 core sounds so good man..

Ok so are you shopping for a whole new system or looking for replacement DDR3 because of the errors?

I would search for specific applications that you are using, and specifically compare that 2920X to the 3700X, as the clock speed and IPC improvements may win out against the extra cores, depending on the application. But that appears to be a very good deal at microcenter.

How old is the PSU that you're using? It may be worth considering replacing that item as well.

Ok so are you shopping for a whole new system or looking for replacement DDR3 because of the errors?

I would search for specific applications that you are using, and specifically compare that 2920X to the 3700X, as the clock speed and IPC improvements may win out against the extra cores, depending on the application. But that appears to be a very good deal at microcenter.

How old is the PSU that you're using? It may be worth considering replacing that item as well.
are you talking about Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6GHz 8 Core AM4 Boxed Processor with Wraith Prism Cooler?
This comes with a cooler at Micro Center.
But 8 core vs 12 core.. hmm

originally i wanted to add DDR4 32gb to my machine but then it doesn't support DDR4.. so id need new MB, CPU and RAM now. Just these are costing more than i expected.

Everything was bought maybe 4 years ago?

This person i know has a Dell Box with 2 Xeon E5-2630's and 32gb memory.
This costs a lot less and same 12 core.. i didn't know you can have 2 cpu

I have the same board that you list for new and paired it with a 1900x Threadripper. When buying memory for your potential new rig, check the CAS latency. My understanding is that it needs to be an even number. When I was shopping, I found that the even number CAS was more expensive that odd CAS. You want a CAS of 14, 16, 18 etc. The cheap RAM will typically be 15 or 17.

I got my board as an open box from Newegg. The 1900x was just on sale for $190 and may give you as much performance as you need. I mean, 8 core 16 thread...

I have the same board that you list for new and paired it with a 1900x Threadripper. When buying memory for your potential new rig, check the CAS latency. My understanding is that it needs to be an even number. When I was shopping, I found that the even number CAS was more expensive that odd CAS. You want a CAS of 14, 16, 18 etc. The cheap RAM will typically be 15 or 17.

I got my board as an open box from Newegg. The 1900x was just on sale for $190 and may give you as much performance as you need. I mean, 8 core 16 thread...

how do you like Threadripper with x399 board?

I'm liking this set up so far. except for the price of cooler.
Maybe someone can hop in and suggest something faster than this set up for this price
ASRock X399 Taichi TR4 ATX AMD MB - 289$
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2920X 3.5ghz 12 core TR4 - $299
Enermax Ligtech TR4 2 280mm RGB water cooling kit - $149
G.skill Ripjaws V 32gb DDR4-3200 - $149

I love it! I switched from a SATA attached SSD to an NVMe drive, from DDR3 to DDR4 and from a 6/12 Intel to the 8/16 threadripper. My folding production actually went up by a good bit. I'm looking to get a cheap NVMe storage drive of 1TB now that prices are low and I'll ditch all SATA drives.

I went with air cooling for mine and with the CPU @ 100%, it is rock steady at 69c. That is a degree hotter than AMD lists for max temp. I figure I'm within a margin of error. I hope.

For RAM, in previous tests I've run, I found it to be more important to populate all available channels than to have faster and/or more RAM. The sTR4 form factor has 4 channels. So you are better with 4x8 than you are with 2x16. In other words, get 4 sticks of RAM for this chipset.

I love it! I switched from a SATA attached SSD to an NVMe drive, from DDR3 to DDR4 and from a 6/12 Intel to the 8/16 threadripper. My folding production actually went up by a good bit. I'm looking to get a cheap NVMe storage drive of 1TB now that prices are low and I'll ditch all SATA drives.

I went with air cooling for mine and with the CPU @ 100%, it is rock steady at 69c. That is a degree hotter than AMD lists for max temp. I figure I'm within a margin of error. I hope.

For RAM, in previous tests I've run, I found it to be more important to populate all available channels than to have faster and/or more RAM. The sTR4 form factor has 4 channels. So you are better with 4x8 than you are with 2x16. In other words, get 4 sticks of RAM for this chipset.

i was recommended water cooling but i don't think that is really necessary for my need. Which air cooling are you running?
Noctua NH-U12S TR4-SP3 54.97 CFM CPU Cooler $70 OR (NH-U14S)
From looking at comparisons, this looks like the best option to go with as far as money and performance go.

For ram, i have these options:
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz (PC4-24000) C15
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

Would you say Corsair is better since it has 4x8GB even though it has 3000 MHZ instead of 3200MHZ?
id have to make sure i can fit 4 sticks in to this MB with Noctua NH-U12S TR4-SP3 cooler.

Last edited:
The Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 is a little bit more expensive but it does offer an extra heat pipe and a 140mm fan. The Enermax TR4 is also a good option, though it is more expensive as well. I will caution you to avoid other liquid coolers that advertise TR4 mounting, but do not have a cold plate large enough to contact the entire heat spreader of the CPU (this is not to say every cooler other than the Enermax, although I am not aware off the top of my head of others that fully contact the IHS on TR4).

The Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 is a little bit more expensive but it does offer an extra heat pipe and a 140mm fan. The Enermax TR4 is also a good option, though it is more expensive as well. I will caution you to avoid other liquid coolers that advertise TR4 mounting, but do not have a cold plate large enough to contact the entire heat spreader of the CPU (this is not to say every cooler other than the Enermax, although I am not aware off the top of my head of others that fully contact the IHS on TR4).

I saw a comparison between this noctua 12s and enermax tr4, surprisingly noctua stayed cooler and it is cheaper.
I might just stay with a cheaper option

I got the NH-U14S and looking at the temps with my CPU running 100%, I would not go smaller. All gen 1 & 2 Threadrippers are rated for 68c max. Mine runs at 69c 24/7. I'm hoping that the 68c is not written in stone and/or that my temp reading is off by a smidge. This is in an older full tower Fractal Design with 2 x 140mm fans pulling in, 1 x 140mm and 1 x 200 mm blowing out. I set the cooler to blow in line with the case fans keeping good air flow.

https://www.newegg.com/p/13C-0005-00140?Item=9SIAADY62M6046

Last edited:
Back