• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memtest86 Errors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hunk

Hi, recently I just built my own computer. However, within just a week, I've started to notice problems (computer crash and program crashed) occurring. So now I'm running memtest to try and pinpoint the problems. The most prevalent error I've seen is IRQL_Not_Equal_Or_less.

Furthermore, when running my dota2 game, it MIGHT work, but most of the time crashes without warning of any kind.

Currently, memtest is showing a TON of error. I'm just gonna list them down since I do not know what each of them means.

Note: I'm still running the memtest test 8, so test9 and 10 are not done. I'll edit this post and post in the results when they are.

Test 0 :0
Test 1 :2
Test 2 :4
Test 3 :36
Test 4 :195
Test 5 :492
Test 6 :1084
Test 7 :451
Test 8 :65535 (and crash)
Test 9 :1635
Test 10 : 65535 (and crash)

Obviously, I'm more than a little worried. Seeing at how large the number of errors are in test 6 and 8, I think I need some help.

What do these error mean? Are they normal? What do I do? I've read on the forums what they mean in technical terms, but I really need layman's terms. Can't...understand....

Just for it, my core is an Intel Core i5-3570k. My two rams are both 4 gb Corsair Vengeance, with my OS being Windows 8.

I haven't done anything to overclock the computer YET, but I was planning to.

Last edited:
Random crashes are based most likely on faulty RAM from my experience.
That is a huge amount of errors, I would test other RAM and see if the problem persists and/or directly RMA the RAM you have since it is defect.

I'm still running the memtest, so I haven't moved on to one stick at a time. But, the first memtest froze and failed. So now I'm just running tests 9 and 10.

Last tests with lot of errors are also IMC errors so if you run single sticks and will be exactly the same on both then try to set manually 1.05V VCCIO/VCCSA or reseat cpu and check if all cpu pads are clean.

Btw what is your memory product number and how high are you running it ?

Last tests with lot of errors are also IMC errors so if you run single sticks and will be exactly the same on both then try to set manually 1.05V VCCIO/VCCSA or reseat cpu and check if all cpu pads are clean.

Btw what is your memory product number and how high are you running it ?

I don't get the entire first paragraph :confused:

Product number: CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B

Er...Corsair Memory XMS classic (new) heat spreader8 gb DDR3 2 modules revision A, 1600 mhz CAS latency 9 (random B idk...)

I'm running it at max, that is, 1600 Mb/s

Test 8/9/10 in memtest are sometimes crashing because of memory controller ( IMC ) errors, not memory itself <- it doesn't mean it happened in your case, it's just one of ideas.
If you test single sticks and on both there will be exactly the same errors then it's probably not memory but something else ( or you are so unlucky that both are defective but it's low chance ).
So my ideas are:
- enable XMP profile in board's BIOS, if won't help then set 9-9-9-24 1.55-1.60V ( I know it's 1.50V as standard )
- check if in slots 1/3 and 2/4 is happening exactly the same
- check if on higher VCCIO or VCCSA voltages, set manually to 1.00V or 1.05V all is working fine, board can be undervolting
- check if cpu has clean contact pads - if there is bad contact then can be memory errors as memory controller is in cpu <- can happen if there is some dust etc, try if nothing else will help

sorry for my English if you don't understand something

Aha. It must be one of my sticks. When I tested them one by one, one stick turned out with no problems, while the other was riddled with errors on test 8. However, most of the other tests had 0 errors. Which leads me to the question, where did most of the other errors come from?

What model of board do you have, and did you follow Woomack's suggestions as far as raising the DRAM or VCCIO voltage, or enabling XMP Profile #1 (DDR3-1600)? And I assume you have the 2 x modules installed in either the 1st and 3rd or 2nd and 4th DIMM slots for a dual-channel config.?

What model of board do you have, and did you follow Woomack's suggestions as far as raising the DRAM or VCCIO voltage, or enabling XMP Profile #1 (DDR3-1600)? And I assume you have the 2 x modules installed in either the 1st and 3rd or 2nd and 4th DIMM slots for a dual-channel config.?

My board is an ASrock H77 Pro4/ MVP.

I am using two modules in 1 and 3 DIMM slot.

I didn't follow Woomack's suggestion because it seems that my RAM is faulty. The single stick tests shows that one RAM is full of errors, while the other was fine. Furthermore, I have switched to 4 gb Ram (2x2), and everything is working fine. So the problem is faulty RAM.

The most prevalent error I've seen is IRQL_Not_Equal_Or_less.

That's core instability everytime I got that error message. Drop the multi and it probably goes away.
And likely goes away with more Vcore.

Back