• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mild O/C for Phenom II X4 955 BE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Cheers manu.

Well I was itching to try for 4.0Mhz so I gave it a go.

My computer seems to be running just fine at the 4.0MHz setting but it didn't pass IntelBurn Test, but then I don't think I'll ever stress my computer as much as that test does.

So at this stage I'll be delighted to cruise along at 4.0MHz if I don't have any problems.
Everything seems to be running normally so I guess it's just go about things as I normally do and see what happens.
This O/C thing could become addictive (as you all well know) but I'm absolutely delighted with what I've achieved, so I don't have any plans to push the envelope any further.

Cheers
Cage

Attachments

• Test 6 - 20X CPUID.PNG
    Test 6 - 20X CPUID.PNG
    21.1 KB · Views: 105
I agree with Manu. You seem to have a good chip!
I'm actually jealous!

Also, you seem have your "Bus Speed" on Auto in the BIOS (hence the 201MHz bus), might want toput that on manual at 200MHz. Seems to be a Gigabyte thing.

I believe a notch up or two of vCore would not hurt, as soon as you stay below 55°C on load.

What is your CPU-NB set at (frequency and voltage)?

Edit: [email protected]/1.43v Core would be actually very good! Very few chips can do it. As an example, my 955BE needed 1.5v, for 4GHz, and it was watercooled!

I agree with Manu. You seem to have a good chip!
I'm actually jealous!

Also, you seem have your "Bus Speed" on Auto in the BIOS (hence the 201MHz bus), might want toput that on manual at 200MHz. Seems to be a Gigabyte thing.

OK, I'm out of my depth now.
What difference will putting it on manual make?

I believe a notch up or two of vCore would not hurt, as soon as you stay below 55°C on load.

What is your CPU-NB set at (frequency and voltage)?

Edit: [email protected]/1.43v Core would be actually very good! Very few chips can do it. As an example, my 955BE needed 1.5v, for 4GHz, and it was watercooled!

Cheers manu.

I'm in uncharted territory here and I'm also a great believer in the old adage 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

The only change in BIOS I've made is to the multiplier, and my core temp maxed at 49C under the stress test.
To say I'm not only surprised, but also delighted, would be an understatement.
You gotta be pleased with a 25% lift in CPU performance for $0.00. Hell, I'm one happy little camper, but I still have my fingers crossed.
Cheers

Agree with manu2b again.
Consider how little voltage it has and your great temps, you can easily do it.
Also as manu2b said you can tweak your CPU-NB too, since you have the same RAM as me and with a OC to the CPU-NB (2400MHz+) you will be able to run them at 1600MHz.

Edit: Small tip: set your fans to full/100% when stress-testing, since if your CPU has a complete unrealistic real-world stress your fans should have a non real-world speeds as well! (that's how I do it, at least)

Last edited:
OK, I'm out of my depth now.
What difference will putting it on manual make?

Well, for starters since at 201MHz it is in fact doing a itsy bitsy OC on all your components, so setting it manual to 200MHz can't but to help your OC adventures.

Agree with manu2b again.
Also as manu2b said you can tweak your CPU-NB too, since you have the same RAM as me and with a OC to the CPU-NB (2400MHz+) you will be able to run them at 1600MHz.

Edit: Small tip: set your fans to full/100% when stress-testing, since if your CPU has a complete unrealistic real-world stress your fans should have a non real-world speeds as well! (that's how I do it, at least)

Thanks... Again! ;)

Agree with manu2b again.

Here we go again. Another dumb newby overclocker question.
I thought that the memory controller on the 955 stopped you from going beyond 1333MHz. I'd love to run at 1600 to utilize my RAM's capability.

And I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. :thup:

Well, few won't run the memory@1600MHz, but that might happen, depending on how strong your I(ntegrated)M(emory)C(ontroller) is , varying from chip to chip.

Just give it a try by changing the RAM setting in the bios to what is written on the sticks. Like 8-8-8-24-1t or 9-9-9-27-2t (examples).

His RAM (same as mine's) is rated at 1600MHz 9-9-9-24-33 2T 1.500V. You have nothing to loose checking if your CPU's IMC can actually run them at 1600MHz, if Memtest86+ fails, you just set them back and done.

Cage, the good news is that both your Motherboard and RAM support E.O.C.P. (X.M.P.) he only has to select a profile on that menu (usually called "profile1", though you will other profiles, ej; 1866, 2133 and so on) in the BIOS, under "M.I.T.".
Also, if you want/cant run them at 1600MHz, when you have them at 1333MHz, try to set them at 7-7-7-19-24 1.500v and run Memtest86+.
Heads up; when you select that E.O.C.P./X.M.P profile it will change your CPU clock and CPU-NB clocks, so make sure to set them back to the previous clock before saving and exiting the BIOS.

Reading back I saw you couldn't find the Prime95 link, here you go:
http://download.mersenne.ca/gimps/p95v279.win64.zip

Last edited:
His RAM (same as mine's) is rated at 1600MHz 9-9-9-24-33 2T 1.500V. You have nothing to loose checking if your CPU's IMC can actually run them at 1600MHz, if Memtest86+ fails, you just set them back and done.[/URL]

Yup. Same here. I needed to up the voltage to the RAM though. Definitely worth a try.

EDIT:
...1.25 on the Cpu NB V

Thanks!! :thup: Thought 1.20v was enough. Just tried 1.25v and I'm now running blended primestable at 4.016, still @ 1.40v, RAM at 1648.

That was the missing piece for me to get to 4.0+.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
My 955be will run all day long at 4.0 @ 1.41 CPU V with the Ram at 1600 9-9-9-24 Nb Freq at 2600 1.25 on the Cpu NB V

The next part of my journey, to get my RAM to 1600MHz, may have struck a snag.

The RAM, two lots of G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL, are showing two different lots of specs on CPU-Z. I did buy them more than 12 months apart so I was surprised when they ran happily together @1333MHz in unganged mode.

However, one pair is showing a Max Bandwidth of PC3-12800 (800MHz) while the other is showing as Max Bandwidth PC3-10700 (667MHz). I'm not sure till I take them out where the respective sticks are.

I've sent an email to G.Skill and, not surprisingly, they have blamed CPU-Z.

What I'm now going to do is isolate the pairs and see what readings CPU-Z comes up with. If the reading for each pair confirms the reading for the four sticks, I think I'll have some justification to go back to G.Skill.

Below is a snip of the two CPU-Z displays.

Cheers
Cage

Attachments

• RAM 1&2.PNG
    RAM 1&2.PNG
    21.5 KB · Views: 85
The bandwidth thing I wouldnt worry about personally. The difference in XMP profile and its timings I would. Notice the tRC is 33 on one and 40 on the other? That may cause instability if, while using the XMP profile, it sets it to 33 and the other stick can't handle it.

If it works and is stable, I wouldnt worry about it personally.

Thanks ED.

The other thing I noticed was that they appear to be different XMP versions.

I've had several glasses of a delightful Hunter Valley Shiraz, so I'll delay doing anything till tomorrow.

It's a bit of a bummer because my CPU O/C went so smoothly that this has brought me back to earth. But geez, like I'm sure you serious overclockers do, I love a challenge.

Appreciate the input.

Last edited:
My 955be will run all day long at 4.0 @ 1.41 CPU V with the Ram at 1600 9-9-9-24 Nb Freq at 2600 1.25 on the Cpu NB V

You got luckier then us with a great chip! :(

@Cage, that's really strange, since they are the same model and all... make sure they are on the 3-4 slots, the ones further away from the CPU Socket. That's all I can think of.

Last edited:
Thanks!! Thought 1.20v was enough. Just tried 1.25v and I'm now running blended primestable at 4.016, still @ 1.40v, RAM at 1648.

That was the missing piece for me to get to 4.0+.

Thanks again.

My pleasure, I have learned most of what I know from the people on here, so I'm just trying to pay it forward

You got luckier then us with a great chip!
Yes tikithorsen I believe I do, thanks. It's run as high as 4659 @ 1.59 on Air for benching and it has passed 2 hours prime blend at 4.3 on H20.

To get back to the post, I agree with ED:
The bandwidth thing I wouldnt worry about personally. The difference in XMP profile and its timings I would. Notice the tRC is 33 on one and 40 on the other? That may cause instability if, while using the XMP profile, it sets it to 33 and the other stick can't handle it.
If it passed Prime Blend then don't fix what isn't broken. A Screenshoy of the memory tab would be helpful to see what the timings are actually set at.

Thanks ED.

The other thing I noticed was that they appear to be different XMP versions.

Appreciate the input.

They're 2 different sticks of ram. You didn't buy them as a dual channel kit did you?

Back