• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mild O/C for Phenom II X4 955 BE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm guessing that one stick was purchased months after the first. Different batch of IC's probably. The link you posted E_D is more than likely their current lineup.
This occurs all the time in manufacturing of automobile components I can't see why Memory would be much different.
Makes you start to wonder though just how specific the part numbers actually are. Or is that just G.Skill's 1600 4gb ripjaw model number. I mean it denotes the speed size latency and heatspreaders but that's where it ends. This could explain some of the performance differences you see in the same kits of ram with different useres.

Here we go again. Another dumb newby overclocker question.
I thought that the memory controller on the 955 stopped you from going beyond 1333MHz. I'd love to run at 1600 to utilize my RAM's capability.

And I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. :thup:

The Denebs will often (but not always) do 1600 mhz on the ram if you relax the timings.

@Cage: Could you please snip a pic of the memory tab in CPU-Z?

The Denebs will often (but not always) do 1600 mhz on the ram if you relax the timings.

I read some reviews of the Ripjaws series 1600 before I bought it. For the most part, 1600-1700 was attainable on stock timings. I'd still recommend upping the voltage to the RAM a bit.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, I bought two sets of F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL, the first in Jan 2011 and the second set about two months ago. That's a total of 4 x 4GB sticks.

I appreciate that it is a bit risky mixing sticks from different batches but the 4 sticks have been running together @1333MHz unganged for two months without problems.

Because of the hassle in taking the fans off the Noctua (the fans have to be positioned a bit forward to clear the RAM in Slot 1) I've been putting off swapping the sticks around to check the CPU-Z readings of the RAM in different slots but I hope to do that later on today.
Will post the results.

Cheers
Cage

He he, you caught the virus Cage!!!

I look at the title "Mild O/C for Phenom II X4 955 BE", and you are already@4GHz/1.4v looking for MOAAARRRRR!

Mild OC/C you said? ;)

He he, you caught the virus Cage!!!

I look at the title "Mild O/C for Phenom II X4 955 BE", and you are already@4GHz/1.4v looking for MOAAARRRRR!

Mild OC/C you said? ;)

Thanks for pointing that out manu. :shock: I suppose there is no cure for it either other than to keep pushing the envelope.

I spent yesterday researching PSU's (I'm not too confident in the Cooler Master that I have) so I guess this is a side effect. I've pretty much decided on the Corsair HX650, the Gold Certified latest model. I really like the modular cable set-up on the later models. Stops your case looking like a multi-colour spaghetti factory.

:-/, Oh dear, where does it stop?

Cheers
Cage

Thanks for pointing that out manu. :shock: I suppose there is no cure for it either other than to keep pushing the envelope.

I spent yesterday researching PSU's (I'm not too confident in the Cooler Master that I have) so I guess this is a side effect. I've pretty much decided on the Corsair HX650, the Gold Certified latest model. I really like the modular cable set-up on the later models. Stops your case looking like a multi-colour spaghetti factory.

:-/, Oh dear, where does it stop?

Cheers
Cage

You could save a few $ by getting a TX M.

What is the Cooler Master exact ref?

Some CM PSU's are good, might be not worth changing it, unless you really want to go modular.

Your setup is draining a max of 350w...

Hi manu

The PSU is a Cooler Master RS-550-PCAR-E3 showing only 16A on each of the 12V rails. I did a bit of research on PSU's when I bought it and it seemed to be the best of the lower end stuff.

The BIOS shows the following readings:
Vcore 1.392v
Dram 1.464v
+ 3.3v 3.284v
+5v 5.070v
+12v 11.736v

Even though I haven't had any real problems with it, I'm not over confident in it.
And I've gone right off Corsair stuff. Did a bit of googling on the HX650 and came up with heaps of problems for Corsair, mostly to do with noisy fans, and some horror RMA stories. Geez I hate paying good money to buy problems.

I'm now looking at Seasonic.

And I've decided that with my computer use I doubt that I'd notice any real difference between 1333MHz and 1600MHz so I'm leaving the RAM as is.

Cheers
Kevin

So you are willing to pay for a much higher wattage PSU, but will not pay the pittance it costs to move from 1333MHz ram to 1600MHz? The biggest peformance gains are found there (and almost none after that point).

Its up to you of course, but, that is what I see.

So you are willing to pay for a much higher wattage PSU, but will not pay the pittance it costs to move from 1333MHz ram to 1600MHz? The biggest peformance gains are found there (and almost none after that point).

Its up to you of course, but, that is what I see.

Cheers ED

I don't play games, just general computing and Photo editing, mostly with Photoshop.
Will I see significant speed differences in those applications? Not being a smart ar$e, I just don't know.
And I am guessing that I would have to get another pair of RAM sticks to match my latest pair.

Thanks

I don't know for a fact either. Since you mentioned gaming, there are some increases to be had there. I have seen, and am trying to locate, the article that shows PS and its performance with memory speeds...

I don't know, you are paying more for zero performance gains on the PSU versus potentially leaving some on the table with less of a cost difference in ram.

Found it: Not much, but it is there...: http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Photoshop-CS6-Memory-Optimization-182/page2

Thanks for the link.
It pretty much confirmed my gut feeling that there wasn't quantum performance leaps to be had.

If I read it correctly, the difference in one test showed less than one second difference over eighty seconds between 1333MHz and 1600Mhz, processing a 109MB image.

My concerns with the voltages from my PSU have started to worry me a little since I upped the CPU from 3.2 to 4.0. I know it should more than cover my system but it's the quality of the power delivery that is my main concern.

Cheers

^You should not been worried: you have 150W headroom minimum, with your CPU@4GHz (200w max).

Even if the voltage regulation is so-so, you don't rosk to kill comonents, and if it works, it works, right?

Better invest the money in a better GPU: CS6 makes good use of both AMD and nVidia graphic cards (OpenCL powered).

I'll have a look at a few PS6 benchmarks...

I've updated my PSU to a Seasonic G550W 80+ Gold.

I wasn't happy with the fluctuating voltages I was getting with the old unit, but a big factor in my decision was the fact that it can get into the mid 40'sC where I live and the Seasonic is guaranteed to maintain it's output up to 50C.

Oh, and I really like the modular cabling set-up. I've also bought some appropriate length SATA data cables and my case no longer looks like a technicolour spaghetti factory.

I'm very happy with my results and I'd like to thank you all for the help and encouragement I've received on this forum.

Cheers
Cage

Last edited:
Back