• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mild O/C for Phenom II X4 955 BE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
He he, you caught the virus Cage!!!

I look at the title "Mild O/C for Phenom II X4 955 BE", and you are already@4GHz/1.4v looking for MOAAARRRRR!

Mild OC/C you said? ;)

You sure got that right Manu !!

Well, I couldn't help myself.

I just HAD to see if I could get my RAM to 1600MHz.

I found a good step-by-step guide on the G.Skill Tech Forum and gave it a try.

Bugger, wouldn't boot. No BSOD, just hung loading Windows. :shock:

Went back to BIOS, set it all back to 'Auto" then enabled XMP Profile 1, rebooted and 'Voila' we now have DRAM frequency of 803.7 x2 = 1607.4MHz

That's it. No more! Too scary wondering whether I've stuffed things up.

But I'm delighted to have exceeded my expectations.

Thanks again for all the help. :thup:

Attachments

• With XMP Profile 1 and all else on Auto.PNG
    With XMP Profile 1 and all else on Auto.PNG
    34.8 KB · Views: 68
While going through this O/C exercise I've been doing some research, AKA 'googling', and have seen some discussion on the possibility of stuffing up the 955 chip by running memory higher than 1333MHz.

There is a post on the Gigabyte UK forum strongly advising against it. I've also come across another forum where it was suggested that this issue was addressed in the later revisions.
What is the general consensus on this matter and I wondered if anyone knows of anyone having this problem. There seems to be a real lack of solid information on the issue.

I guess the worst case scenario is stuffing the chip and upgrading to a FX CPU.

I have heard of many Phenom lls that would not run DDR1600 but not a single for real incidence of DDR1600 hurting the cpu.
RGone...

The only thing I can think of that could mess up your chip running DDR3 @ 1600 is if you have to run the NB Cpu V extremely high in order to do it. Like RGone said I have never heard of running a Phenom II @ 1600 hurting the Cpu.

I been running my 955 be @ 4.1 24/7 @ 1640 with the NB Cpu V @ 1.25 for at least 2 years 8 hours a day without a hitch. Oh and that's on Air.

Me too PII 965 @3.9 and mem @1666 NB @ 26something

Back