• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mixing Different RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CrustyButt

123 West Awesome Ave. Blueberry, Pancakes
So there were quite a few guys behind me asking the same question, however since it's RAM, I feel I need "special help" (not trying to be a jerk here btw). I currently have 8GB of Corsair Vengeance RAM @ 1600 (link below) and would like to upgrade it to 12GB by adding 2x2GB sticks @ 1333 (link below). I know that the Vengeance RAM is @ 1.5V, but it doesn't say on the website or the package I got it in what the Voltage is for the Kingston RAM. By any chance, would these work together? Thanks everyone :)

- http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Venge...=1404928078&sr=1-1&keywords=corsair+vengeance

- http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Tech...1404927822&sr=8-1&keywords=khx1333c9d3b1k2/4g

You'll have to down clock the Vengeance to get the system to boot.

Even then there is a good chance of stability issues.
Just grab two more of the exact same sticks as your Vengeance if you really need more RAM.

Also, that is an absolutely horrendous price on that 2x2GB set....

on the egg you can get the exact same ram 2x4gb of red/blue/black for about 89.00 watch for some sales because they could drop. make sure its the same latency (CL9) and same clock. Then you should be able to just plug and play.

The Kingston modules are rated at DDR3-1333 SPD timings of 9-9-9 and 1.5v, while the Corsairs are rated at DDR3-1600 and 9-9-9-24 at 1.5v. Like ATM suggested, w/ the Corsairs installed lower the effective DRAM frequency to DDR3-1333, and make sure the timings and voltage are manually set to 9-9-9-24 at 1.5v. Then install the KHX modules (Corsairs in DIMM slots 1 & 3, w/ the KHX modules installed in DIMM slots 2 & 4 or vice versa). Enter the UEFI / BIOS to verify the timings and voltage before attempting to boot into the OS.

KHX1333C9D3B1K2/4G datasheet
http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KHX1333C9D3B1K2_4G.pdf

Question: Why are you looking to run 12g of ram in the first place? Are you using at least 85% of the 8g of ram you have installed?

I wouldn't mix that RAM. My personal opinion there.

Sell the old Ram after you buy a new kit for 16GB or w/e it is you need.

If you do mix and match and have issues, BSODs things of the sort, you can bet, you'll be pulling Ram out...

GLHF!

I haven't mixed any DDR3 RAM because all of mine is identical, but whenever I mixed DDR2, it ran in dual channel mode, at the slower module's SPD diameters. The modules both had the same number of chips but some had different brands of chips (others indeterminate).

i would also recommend the same ram as well, i started with 8gb but decided to up it to 16gb just for fun and got the exact same kit.

also from the links you provided getting the same ram would not only be cheaper, but you would get 16gb instead of 12gb.

I've always just stuck the RAM in and everything takes care of itself. No problems.

I'm running 12GB right now.

Just another update. I just got 2x8GB of DDR3 1600 RAM ($90 shipped AR!) to mix with my 2x4GB DDR3 1333 RAM and everything appears to be working fine.

Back