• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mobile Athlon 64 2800+ with 1MB L2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tru2ya

I'm haven't been able to find much information on this chip(as far as overclocking). Do you think this has a good chance of being just as good an overclocker as the 3000+ or 3200+?

Tru2ya said:
I'm haven't been able to find much information on this chip(as far as overclocking). Do you think this has a good chance of being just as good an overclocker as the 3000+ or 3200+?

Actually, if you don't aim for getting the final MHz or % of overclocking to win benchmark/competition, given its price (~$180), it is a good deal, just making sure it is a CG rev.

It has x8 multiplier and is a 1 MB L2 ClawHammer.

If you can run a FSB setting at 300 MHz, which is doable with a MSI K8N Neo Plat., the CPU would be 2.4 GHz. Depending on what memory, the higher the better at ASYNC
memory_bus_freq = CPU / divider
with a divider of 8, memory bus would be at 300 MHz DDR (a bit stretch)
with a divider of 9, memory bus would be at 266 MHz DDR which is possible with some modules,
with slower memory, just set the divider to higher, e.g. at 12, memory would be at 200 MHz DDR.

Thanks for the info. I forgot about that. I'm going to be building a new system for mostly gaming and video editing. Do you think it would be more worth it to get the a64 2800+ with the MSI NF3 board or to save $150 and get a 2500+ mobile barton with the nf7-s and overclock to 2400-2500mhz? Theres so many mix reviews on whether or not their is a pretty noticable increase in peformance. Some statistics thrown out in the forums of a 20-30% increase but others that have it swear that you'll notice a big difference. It's really hard to make a decision.

Most important question is:
is it an upgrade or a new system needed to be build ASAP.

If it is a new system AND is willing to spend an extra $150-200, then a 754 system 250 GB system is a good choice for 20-30% performance gain (over overclocking mobile Barton/Tbred B).

Also that 20-30% is an estimate, a guideline, since performance varies depending on actual programs run, exact memory and system setup, and many other things.

If it is an upgrade for an existing system, say nforce2 + Tbred B/Barton, and one may wait until later this year, hoping for price drop and cheaper 939 CPU and system (no guarantee). These are all economic considerations and tradeoff one has to make based on particular need, ....

For video editing, encoding, rendering, memory bandwidth helps performance a lot, hence 939 and FX-939 would be preferred. But that depends on budget and price-performance consideration, so only the one who builds the system can answer these qusetions.

For performance numbers for the various system, they are detailed here:
Typical Overclocking System
Performance analysis of various A64 systems

Back