• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mobo? agp?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zman009

Registered
here's the problem.. i just put together a new computer and i can't get the video card to work. it is a Inno3d geforcefx5200 256mb agp

i already tried updating the agp drivers but it doesn't work

here are some system specs

pc chips 922lr mobo
celeron 2.6ghz
256 ram
chipset Via vt8753 Northbridge and vt8233southbridge

I tried the via hyperion 4 in 1 drivers but didn't work
I sent the video card back cause i thought it was defective and got a new one......
i'm currently running video with an old pny pci video card.....

Any ideas?..............Thanks

well you exchanged the vid card, to rule that out...

most likely, you have a bad AGP slot on that board.

PCChips have never really been known for their quality, so it would be the board that i would suspect first in this situation.

Hopefully you can get an exchange.

You may want to stick with better-known vendors in the future also... Newegg.com is really good for both prices and exchange/warranty ... you'll often find the post-sales support is worth paying a few bucks more. Hopefully the place you bought from will take care of ya. (i've never heard of em before)

The "terms" of support are here:
http://www.pcrapids.com/support/terms.php

cool, thanks for the replies.............

what would be more reliable sites? newegg?

Also is this a very good video card?

We used shuttle mobo's in my A+ class, are these comparable to asus and abit motherboards?

thanks for all the help!!

what would be more reliable sites? newegg?

Yep, newegg is really good, as are the ones mentioned above ^
I've dealt with zipzoomfly (formerly googlegear) as well as Directron (watch their prices and shipping rates tho) and Mwave is good too.

Also is this a very good video card?

Well, very good? no... but it's definitely not horrible...
Before you buy stuff, you oughta look into it more. I can tell by what you bought, and the questions you ask after the fact, as well as by where you shopped... that you really did'nt put much thought into this project. You are'nt the first to "dive right in" but.. consider this a valuable lesson and don't make the same mistake in the future.

We used shuttle mobo's in my A+ class, are these comparable to asus and abit motherboards?

No way bro, PCChips is bottom of the heap. *Very Budget* boards and usually alot of quality control problems (such as wacky AGP). I really have'nt heard much positive about em, and i'm around the community since AMD's K6-2. I doubt PCChips has changed much.

Most of us do a good month or three research into mobos/vid cards and such before we build a system. Some of us research this crap all the time anyways, but you gotta check your options, BEFORE you buy. Along with that goes researching the vendors. A place like newegg.com might charge $5 or $20 more overall... but when you have a problem, they'll solve it, quick and easy. Totally worth the extra money to avoid self-inflicted impaction later.

Theres tons of info on this board regarding mobos and vid cards...
and ppl will help guide you toward wise purchases, all ya gotta do is ask! But it helps to research alot on your own, and try to keep track of current news/reviews, both pro and con, for any parts you're considering buying.

Your vid card will play most games fine, but you'll probably be looking for (needing) an upgrade within 6 months to a year... to keep playing games. If you are'nt big into gaming, it'll suit ya fine.

cool, thanks for all the replies.......lookin to learn as much as i can.........

i had that happen and i had a aopen mobo but in a aopen mx440
and i wouldnt post turned out the cpu and the memory were the problim the cpu fsb was uner the min specks and the ram wwas ddr 333 and the mon wanted ddr 400

it wouldnt even beep at me with or without the memory in!!!

check your mobo specks with your cpu and memory specks because for me that was the prob thats why the mx440 wouldnt work

well, i emailed pcrapids and 2 days later they sent me an email saying that my replacement mobo had been sent to me. The next day i get another e-mail from them saying to ignore the first e-mail and to send the board in........I'm so sick of this crap company so i email them and tell them to refund the price of the board and i'll send it back to em, and they tell me they can only give me the market value $24 for it , when it lists on their site for $45......what makes me even madder is that they pulled the bait and switch on me in the first place.........i found this mobo/processor combo on pricewatch.com for $116 and placed the order......2-4 days later they call me up and say that this combo is not in stock but they can sell me the retail version upgrade(individually boxed) for $20 more..then i tell them to cancel my order but the guy keeps haggling me over a price and we finally decide for $13 bucks more i'll upgrade.........DO

DO NOT ORDER FROM THIS COMPANY.............oh and by the way.........i ordered an Asus mobo from newegg.com....hope this does the trick..........

well, got my Asus board today and finally installed my new video card(nvidia fx5200). didn't know this was such a ****ty card when i first bought it until i started reading posts on this forum, but oh well, what can ya do.........anyways it's an improvement from my old rig (500mhz celeron nvidia mx400 64mb pci)..............scored 4404 on 3dmarks2001..................Thanks for all the replies...........

Back